DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom or Air 2?

eppa702

Reactions
I currently have a Spark and looking to upgrade to something a little more advanced. My first though was to go for the Air 2 but realized that it doesn't have sideways obstacle avoidance which is something I have missed on my Spark. The Air 2 also has a higher megapixel value but does the Zoom make up for it with SuperRes? I seen several videos on the Zoom and it looks like a good fit for me, but its from 2018 and concerned that there might a new version on the way. ActiveTrack 2 vs 3 are there really that much real life difference to them? Its not something is use often but curios. The more I look and read on google, the more confused I become. Right now I'm stuck between the Mavic 2 Zoom and Mavic Air 2. My budget would allow for a Mavic 2 Pro as well but probably not with the fly more kit right away.

Which drone would you suggest and why?

I upgraded from a Spark to a zoom, and love it!

However, I don't use the zoom as much as I thought I would. If you think about it, most of the time when you are standing on the ground you need a zoom to frame the picture. But if you are up in the air, you just fly the drone to where you need it to be to take the picture. Side sensors don't work in quite the same way as the other sensors, and it's still quite possible to slam it onto a building flying sideways. Part of the reason I got the zoom as opposed to the Pro was that my wife wanted me to go higher up the upgrade tree than I was planning, but not spend a fortune. I was thinking of an Air 1 at the time.

Flymore kit - I didn't buy it and I'm quite glad. I did purchase an extra battery, some ND filters and some hard cases for the drone and controller but that cost nowhere near the price of the flymore kit. I tend to plan my flying days, and make sure everything is charged. There are occasions I might need more than 2 batteries, but those a few and far between. Fancy cases saying "Expensive drone - steal me" aren't my thing. I use a battered rucksack that probably dates from when the kids were in high school and shove everything in. It works - especially if I'm on my bike. Also, nobody's gonna steal what looks like it contains sweaty sports gear that's had time to ferment. I take it with me to work in the van most days, and it just looks like something that has some sandwiches and a banana.

I'm not sure about the super res facility, as I don't do much stills photography. But I guess it has it's uses.

I think the problem right now is that the main things I wanted when I upgraded from the Spark to the Zoom was 3 axis gimbal and occusync. Both the air 2 and the zoom have those, so it's now a difficult choice between the 2 in my case.

I haven't used active track much, but currently I am having a play around with it, and have good success following my bike with me riding and flying the drone.

To be honest, at this exact moment in time if I was buying new I'd probably pump for the air 2. Mainly because the things I want to do can be accomplished by both drones, and the air 2 is cheaper. But as I already have a Zoom, I'm waiting for the Mavic 3 to come along as it surely must at some point. Assuming it is compliant with the latest regulations. Just my personal opinion of course :)

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I have the Zoom and love it. I am happy to not have bought an Air2 as an early adopter, there are folks with some problems appearing in the Air2. Maybe wait a bit until some fixes in firmware come out...

Reactions: Greekislandlover
I upgraded from a Spark to a zoom, and love it!

However, I don't use the zoom as much as I thought I would. If you think about it, most of the time when you are standing on the ground you need a zoom to frame the picture. But if you are up in the air, you just fly the drone to where you need it to be to take the picture. Side sensors don't work in quite the same way as the other sensors, and it's still quite possible to slam it onto a building flying sideways. Part of the reason I got the zoom as opposed to the Pro was that my wife wanted me to go higher up the upgrade tree than I was planning, but not spend a fortune. I was thinking of an Air 1 at the time.

Flymore kit - I didn't buy it and I'm quite glad. I did purchase an extra battery, some ND filters and some hard cases for the drone and controller but that cost nowhere near the price of the flymore kit. I tend to plan my flying days, and make sure everything is charged. There are occasions I might need more than 2 batteries, but those a few and far between. Fancy cases saying "Expensive drone - steal me" aren't my thing. I use a battered rucksack that probably dates from when the kids were in high school and shove everything in. It works - especially if I'm on my bike. Also, nobody's gonna steal what looks like it contains sweaty sports gear that's had time to ferment. I take it with me to work in the van most days, and it just looks like something that has some sandwiches and a banana.

I'm not sure about the super res facility, as I don't do much stills photography. But I guess it has it's uses.

I think the problem right now is that the main things I wanted when I upgraded from the Spark to the Zoom was 3 axis gimbal and occusync. Both the air 2 and the zoom have those, so it's now a difficult choice between the 2 in my case.

I haven't used active track much, but currently I am having a play around with it, and have good success following my bike with me riding and flying the drone.

To be honest, at this exact moment in time if I was buying new I'd probably pump for the air 2. Mainly because the things I want to do can be accomplished by both drones, and the air 2 is cheaper. But as I already have a Zoom, I'm waiting for the Mavic 3 to come along as it surely must at some point. Assuming it is compliant with the latest regulations. Just my personal opinion of course :)

I agree with you on the fly more package. If you do the math you are better off just buying the extra battery and hard case separate. The only ones pushing the combo. Is Big you tube channels. Hmmmm I wonder why. [emoji41].

I Just bought the zoom with the SC taking advantage of the father's day special. (buying it combined does save a lot of money)
Sold my mini this week so I can upgrade.

I like the larger drone, full obstacle avoidance and mainly the zoom.

My friend got the air 2 and last weekend we rented a chalet and spend a few days away with friends.
While he did a circle around the house with those automatic modes, there were higher trees at a section behind us and he had to stop it manually last minute or
it could have hit a branch.
Not having side sensors scares me. I want to be worry free as much as possible, and the zoom is a feature I like to have so I can get close ups without having to bring the drone close all the time.
I am using it for fun so the image is more than sufficient for me. I don't care for the better camera on the Air 2 as I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it anyway , not knowing too much about editing videos.

For the fly more combo, I plan to get it as I want the batteries and carrying bag, but I plan to get the membership special once I am qualified (takes 15 days after drone is received to be eligible), and use the 20 % discount on the accessories.
It might end up being the same but I'll have the other benefits and coupons to use too.

If I buy a battery and the carrying bag alone I'd be at 250. I figure it's like buying another battery too and it comes to the complete package. But that's me.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I would go for the Air 2. Better camera, cheaper, newer and a bit smaller.

The zoom wouldn't be a bad choice, but i don't see the point of buying it, the air has just more features and i consider it flat out better. I have a M2P, and I see no point in sideways avoidance, never used it. I also have the SC and its totally worth it. And yes, there might be a new version in the way, so that's another reason for not buying M2's.

No matter which one you select, always fly more pack!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ