DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom range issue

LandShark19

Reactions
I am new to drones and so this issue may be more reflective of my inexperience than anything else, but it seems like I am not getting the range I expected with my Mavic 2 Zoom. I purchased it a little over a week ago and have been flying everyday, and I don't ever get more than half a mile before I am out of range of my RC. The drone always kicks in RTH and I reconnect as it is coming back, but it would be nice to be able to go out a little farther. So far I have only flown in my neighborhood which is in the suburbs, and I know that there is probably a lot of interference. Is there a setting that I can modify that can give me some additional range, or am I just going to have to invest in a range extender/booster? I have been reading all over this forum, and there are a lot of threads about different extenders/boosters, but what is the most recommended for the Mavic 2 if I do end up having to go that route? Thanks!

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Ensure your Antenna are correctly positioned (the flat sides face the drone at either a 45 or 90 degree angle depending on your holding position), and ensure the drone is high enuff in the air. As your drone flies out farther more and more ground interference comes into play so you must increase in altitude to acheive the same connection strength. I live in the suburbs in New Jersey and easily get over 5000 ft if needed....(which I rarely do unless its a great clear day so I can see it)

Best of luck!!

I am new to drones and so this issue may be more reflective of my inexperience than anything else, but it seems like I am not getting the range I expected with my Mavic 2 Zoom. I purchased it a little over a week ago and have been flying everyday, and I don't ever get more than half a mile before I am out of range of my RC. The drone always kicks in RTH and I reconnect as it is coming back, but it would be nice to be able to go out a little farther. So far I have only flown in my neighborhood which is in the suburbs, and I know that there is probably a lot of interference. Is there a setting that I can modify that can give me some additional range, or am I just going to have to invest in a range extender/booster? I have been reading all over this forum, and there are a lot of threads about different extenders/boosters, but what is the most recommended for the Mavic 2 if I do end up having to go that route? Thanks!
Antennas are pointed up 90°? Both straight up so back of antenna are facing your drone? Nothing in your way as far as trees/buildings etc? If so u will always be limited. U need a clear path whether it be between the trees in an opening or atop a hill etc. U should be getting out way farther....look up nld boost....google is your friend ;)

Will something like the Titan Switch or Alientech help with possible interference?
Not really its just going to make your signal.more directional....it will be stronger but narrower so the farther u get out u will really have to aim your remote perfectly at your drone.....and i suggest 4hawks

You have to make sure your controller is pointed at your Drone. If your drone is at three o'clock and your controller is pointed at 1 o'clock your range will be limited. Half a mile out I doubt your Drone is still in line of sight, so you may be loosing a sense for where your Drone is.

If the m zoom drops below the tree line I have found the signal more or less cuts out straight away. It's far more prone to this than my previous pro. As a suggestion when next the signal indicates a weakness, go higher to see if there's an improvement.

If the m zoom drops below the tree line I have found the signal more or less cuts out straight away. It's far more prone to this than my previous pro. As a suggestion when next the signal indicates a weakness, go higher to see if there's an improvement.

Thanks!!

Have you tried Signal boosters? Parabolic reflectors that slip ove the antennas to give you more range by directing the signals. I have not had a chance to try mine out but tests run by YouTubers give confirm additional range of up to a Km or more ... check it out.

So far I have only flown in my neighborhood which is in the suburbs, and I know that there is probably a lot of interference.

This is why. Try an open field; away from 2.4 /5 ghz wifi signals or feel free to mod your controller to increase it's power. ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian