DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom - Still a valid purchase for the future?

scoble08

Reactions
Thinking of buying a new Mavic 2 Zoom. I know that it's a great drone! However, with the current FAA NPRM turmoil, would you wait until the smoke clears? I'd hate to purchase, and then be restricted flying because M2Z did not have the necessary hardware/software to meet the proposed/final requirements.
Thx

Dunno about the US, but in the UK and Europe - no drone current on the market is worth buying. If you plan on visiting over here, you’ll be severely restricted from 07/22.

Go ahead and get it. I know our government can be screwed up at times but my bet would be the new regs would be for drones manufactured after a certain date. I mean, surely, they are not stupid enough to brick over a million drones even if they could (even though they can be pretty stupid at times).

You also have the option of not updating software/firmware that would make new restrictions take effect.

Reactions: Flycaster
If you read the FAA NPRM, essentially it states that you would have 4 years from when the law is adopted to comply. So possibly, you would be fine until 2024, or later.

UNLESS DJI pulls a dumb move and starts the restrictions early on their end and forces it onto us.

So the real question is, can the M2Z last you for the next 4 years? I think so. By then, it will be time to upgrade to the M4Z anyway.

I'd be more concerned about buying M2Z now and having M3Z released later this year or early 2021.

So the real question is, can the M2Z last you for the next 4 years? I think so. By then, it will be time to upgrade to the M4Z anyway.

I'd be more concerned about buying M2Z now and having M3Z released later this year or early 2021.
Still on my MP circa 2016 and it's good as the first flight. So yes you should be fine

The M2Z should be able to comply with the new laws as written with software update I believe..

The M2Z should be able to comply with the new laws as written with software update I believe..
Maybe, maybe not. The fact that DJI hasn't just come out and said "dont worry guys, we can fix the older drones to be compliant" worries me.

In fact, the email DJI sent out today points to otherwise:

We’re writing you because a new FAA proposal could profoundly change how you fly your drone – and you have 6 days to tell the FAA what you think about it. The FAA wants security and safety officials to be able to monitor airborne drones through “Remote Identification.” DJI strongly believes in Remote ID, but the FAA’s proposal would put new burdens on you. It could require you to pay a monthly fee to fly, connect to the internet for every flight, ground your older drones, and record every flight you take in a nationwide database.

Reactions: phi11ip
I would still consider it a sound purchase, as stated above. The Mavic 2 platform is a great platform that DJI will continue to support for a good while even after the rumored Mavic 3 is released possibly later this year or 2021. If you would like, shoot me a message and I would be happy to get you a quote put together for a good setup.

Thanks,
FDS Team

The future “new” rules is actually your best motivation to buy it NOW. Normally the rule will grandfather the product before a date and allow you to use it for another 15 years or until it’s broken and unrepairable. And those “un-upgradable” features will be exempted for this “grandfathered” group.
so if you worried about it, then get it now.

My M2Z is still working great and I plan on being happy with it for the next few years until I am ready to upgrade. But for now, go out and buy one, you will enjoy it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas