DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 (9-Frame / Wide Angle) Pano Stitching Issues - Anyone else?

rmajoran

Reactions
So tonight I finally decided to use the (9-shot / wide angle) pano mode on the Mavic 3 (latest firmware). On the MP2, the files seamlessly stitched in Lightroom.

But when the M3 shot the images (using the 9-shot pano mode), it doesn't look like it the gimbal aligned itself properly.

*If I use the full 360 pano mode, the gimbal does seem to align correctly and stitches fine. It's specifically with the 9-shot pano.* (I haven't tried the 180 yet.)

Interestingly enough, the auto-generated JPEG looks straight, but when I try and stitch the RAW (DNG) images in Lightroom, the horizon just looks like a sphere. I have tried stitching in Lightroom and Photoshop; none of them work properly with these images.

I am attaching the 9 DNG files along with the auto-generated JPEG. I'd be interested to know if anyone else is having this problem as well. Again, as you'll see, the 9 images that the Mavic 3 took (on the 9-shot mode) don't look right at all.

So two questions:

1. Anyone else having this issue ***specifically*** with the 9-shot / wide angle pano mode?

2. If you downloaded the files, was anyone able to figure out how to properly stitch it? I've tried Cylindrical, Spherical and Perspective; no luck with any of them.

Thanks in advance.

Ray

Reactions: danwnz
The picture that I just saw looks amazing, I mean i dont see anything remotely wrong with the Horizon.
WOW status picture , is there another picture I should be looking at ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain.

The picture that I just saw looks amazing, I mean i dont see anything remotely wrong with the Horizon.
WOW status picture , is there another picture I should be looking at ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain.
I think you're looking at the automated low-res JPEG that the M3 generates. Try taking the 9 (RAW) DNG images and stitching them together.

Reactions: zeusfl
Im looking at the 8000 x 5760 is that the low res ?
Yes -- that's the low-res one. Unfortunately, a 24MB JPEG in comparison to 9 x 43MB DNGs is way too low-res in comparison. (I print pics that are 4' to 6' wide - see Ray Majoran's Gallery - Compassion Gallery .)

Again, that is just an auto-generated JPEG from the M3. If you look closely, there's lots of missing pixels.

I need to be able to stitch the 9 DNG files from the M3 as I was able to do from the MP2.

Ray

Yes -- that's the low-res one. Unfortunately, a 24MB JPEG in comparison to 9 x 43MB DNGs is way too low-res in comparison. (I print pics that are 4' to 6' wide - see Ray Majoran's Gallery - Compassion Gallery .)

Again, that is just an auto-generated JPEG from the M3. If you look closely, there's lots of missing pixels.

I need to be able to stitch the 9 DNG files from the M3 as I was able to do from the MP2.

Ray
2022-02-21_20h48_29.png

Now were on the same page, above my level of push the button. .lol

I've had problems stitching in LR for my M2P pano shots but it's usually the 26-shot 360 panos.

Been told to try out PTGUI, which is not cheap.

PTGUI does not solve the problem.

Taken hundreds of DNG panos on my M2P; no issues.

This is definitely a bug with the M3. I’d like to know if someone who has been using the 9-frame Pano on the M3 is having this issue as well.

Ray
Actually, that is the HiRes version DJI creates for you in the camera. You can obviously create an even higher res version manually.

*If I use the full 360 pano mode, the gimbal does seem to align correctly and stitches fine. It's specifically with the 9-shot pano.* (I haven't tried the 180 yet.)

Ray
Those same 9 shots should be part of the 360° Spherical Pano mode.
Why not just shoot the 360° and choose the 9 you want?

"Those same 9 shots should be part of the 360° Spherical Pano mode. Why not just shoot the 360° and choose the 9 you want?"

Two reasons I do not shoot that way:

(1) Because I do not have time to shoot 24 images each time in 360, nor do I need to. I simply want to shoot 9 shots like I was able to with the M2P.

(2) The problem with both the 180 and the 360 (vs. the 9-shot) is that you can't set the gimbal axis lower the 0 degrees. It will always start at 0, whereas with the 9-shot, you can actually set your gimbal axis at (I.e.) -10 degrees so that you capture more ground than sky.

The issue seems to be in the way that the M3 shoots the corners (upper right, lower right, upper left, lower left); instead of squaring up the gimbal, the M3 seems to have a bug where it shoots diagonal. This was not the case with the M2P.

Regarding the high-res comment, again -- the JPEG that the M3 creates is rogue at best. It's devoid of most of the shadows/highlights and is missing pixels here and there. That is why it gives you DNG files (so that all of the RAW data is left intact). 387MB of RAW data is better than a 24MB preview JPEG.

If you are an M3 owner and shoot the 9-shot pano, please let me know if you have the same issue so that I can either (a) report the bug to DJI, or (b) get support on my own drone for a localized issue.

While I appreciate all of the comments on different software choices and alternative solutions to the 9-shot pano, they are not the solution I am looking for. (Unless of course someone can take my 9 images using a software program and show me how it extracts a perfectly straight horizon like the M2. I have tried Lightroom, Photoshop, and PTGUI -- none of which are successful.)

Thanks in advance.

I captured a simple 9-frame pano with my Mavic 3 just to test this feature and imported the 9 frames as layers into Photoshop. Then Photoshop merged these into a panorama and created a smart object which I saved and converted to a lower res version to share. As you can see it is useless. I use the same technique for 9-frame pano images from my DJI Pocket 2 with no problems. It seems to me to be a bug.

Attachments

• 8EA5E9A8-F82D-4D99-813C-8F3C79E53FFC.jpeg
    8EA5E9A8-F82D-4D99-813C-8F3C79E53FFC.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 18
I don't think this is made to be used as a FLAT photo. This is more made to be used as an upload for 3D use. like for social media Facebook or kuula.co here are a few examples done in 360 with the M3 that I did.

Both pictures are the JPG produced by the Mavic 3. I also create manually but the DJI looks so nice.

Lrt 00001

@zeusfl Are you saying that the image you uploaded is specifically a 9-shot stitched pano from the M3? Or is that cut from a 360? I would appreciate if you could specifically take a 9-shot pano and stitch the DNG files in whatever program you like. The 9-shot panos are supposed to stitch flat. For example, here are other 9-frames that I've shot on the M2P (using stitching in Lightroom):

@JoelP I just had a conversation with someone at DJI and reported the issue. Hopefully they address it.

"Those same 9 shots should be part of the 360° Spherical Pano mode. Why not just shoot the 360° and choose the 9 you want?"

Two reasons I do not shoot that way:

(1) Because I do not have time to shoot 24 images each time in 360, nor do I need to. I simply want to shoot 9 shots like I was able to with the M2P.

(2) The problem with both the 180 and the 360 (vs. the 9-shot) is that you can't set the gimbal axis lower the 0 degrees. It will always start at 0, whereas with the 9-shot, you can actually set your gimbal axis at (I.e.) -10 degrees so that you capture more ground than sky.

The issue seems to be in the way that the M3 shoots the corners (upper right, lower right, upper left, lower left); instead of squaring up the gimbal, the M3 seems to have a bug where it shoots diagonal. This was not the case with the M2P.

Regarding the high-res comment, again -- the JPEG that the M3 creates is rogue at best. It's devoid of most of the shadows/highlights and is missing pixels here and there. That is why it gives you DNG files (so that all of the RAW data is left intact). 387MB of RAW data is better than a 24MB preview JPEG.

If you are an M3 owner and shoot the 9-shot pano, please let me know if you have the same issue so that I can either (a) report the bug to DJI, or (b) get support on my own drone for a localized issue.

While I appreciate all of the comments on different software choices and alternative solutions to the 9-shot pano, they are not the solution I am looking for. (Unless of course someone can take my 9 images using a software program and show me how it extracts a perfectly straight horizon like the M2. I have tried Lightroom, Photoshop, and PTGUI -- none of which are successful.)

Thanks in advance.
The 360 pano takes only 40 seconds to shoot, and 35 seconds to stitch. You can cancel the stitch by moving the sticks after it reaches 50% completed. The 3x3 image you want is contained within the saved 26 DNG photos. Just select the ones you want to get the framing you desire, until the bug is fixed. The Hi-Res stitch is at least a 50MB JPG file, which is about the same as a 100% JPG stitch from the 387MB of DNG's. YMMV.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada