DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 "Advanced" RTH

DJW43

Premium Pilot
Reactions
To bad the intelligent modes are not included yet, got mine this week from B&H photo NYC.
I am hoping the the advanced RTH can be diabled so that the Mavic 2 RTH can be used.
The advanced version has the dron angle in at 19 degrees as it gets close to the homepoint.
That is right into the tress around my house, which means that the RTH pauses at the obsticles, even when having selected "avoid obsticles and continue"
In sport mode or with obsticle avoidance disabled, it would RTH into the tress. RTH altitude is ignored.
My Mavic 2 would RTH at the RTH altitude, then it had planty of time to find my homepoint target and land spot on evey time.
The Mavic 3 comes in at an angle with decreasing altitude and cannot land acurately if it has a clear path through the trees because it does not have time to find the target visualy.

Is there any chance that the non advanced RTH will be available as a selection?
I just tested again to double check, and unless I am missing some setting RTH altitude is ignored from more than 150 feet away

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Reactions: tlswift58
To bad the intelligent modes are not included yet, got mine this week from B&H photo NYC.
I am hoping the the advanced RTH can be diabled so that the Mavic 2 RTH can be used.
The advanced version has the dron angle in at 19 degrees as it gets close to the homepoint.
That is right into the tress around my house, which means that the RTH pauses at the obsticles, even when having selected "avoid obsticles and continue"
In sport mode or with obsticle avoidance disabled, it would RTH into the tress. RTH altitude is ignored.
My Mavic 2 would RTH at the RTH altitude, then it had planty of time to find my homepoint target and land spot on evey time.
The Mavic 3 comes in at an angle with decreasing altitude and cannot land acurately if it has a clear path through the trees because it does not have time to find the target visualy.

I just tested again to double check, and unless I am missing some setting RTH altitude is ignored from more than 150 feet away
Just from what DJI put out - seemed the "new & improved" RTH would be something of a nice feature, esp not backtracking should the battery start getting low and a more direct route would be preferable (unless possibly flying low below a lot of trees or other obstacles).

Guess one reason I only use RTH as a last ditch effort, as I can fly the drone home using map / compass / video better than RTH of old (Air2). And should you be keeping that dreaded VLOS thing - RTH seems to be something not needed at all except upon signal loss or something like it that activates RTH automatically when nothing else is working from the RC / SC. But many people use / rely upon it when no auto RTH is required.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply, but in the event of losing sight, and losing signal for any reason, phone issue, I have had several disconnects with tablets due to lack of memory. If the drone gets stuck behind a tree on the way back, it may sit there until forced landing. When I set a RTH altitude, I want it to fly back at that altitude, then come straight down to land.
Thats my preference, and I can't be confident on the safe return, I will return the drone. I like to do my work, then hit RTH and expect it to land on the pad.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply, but in the event of losing sight, and losing signal for any reason, phone issue, I have had several disconnects with tablets due to lack of memory. If the drone gets stuck behind a tree on the way back, it may sit there until forced landing. When I set a RTH altitude, I want it to fly back at that altitude, then come straight down to land.
Thats my preference, and I can't be confident on the safe return, I will return the drone. I like to do my work, then hit RTH and expect it to land on the pad.
Not had any issues with Lenovo Android tablet like that, but do understand Apple folks may have it. The tablet is only used for my Air2, so not junked up with 100 apps that would clog it up. At under $200, not a bad deal. I also clear the cache / files every few flights to keep it running a bit better.

RTH does have its purposes - no doubt about it. But again, some people rely on it way too much in non-emergency situations and to me that defeats the purpose of flying a drone. With RTH set to hover - oh yeah, it won't come back if it encounters an obstacle. I fly around A LOT of trees and obstacles, yet many times it's under the canopy and RTH may not be best thing to do. When I first had my Mini - I flew out thru some trees and then lost it (so small, bad eyesight, bright day) and being new - hit RTH. It came back above me as set up and landed "thru" the trees. Yes, very lucky it did not hit a limb on the way down and crash. So, with that - I've only tried to rely on RTH for emergency type situation or when it loses signal and kicks in automatically. When and if signal returns on return - I take over controls again to fly some more or land myself.

thanks again for your input

I would not even consider purchase of the M3 until everything is included in the firmware and well after January and all of the testing and commentary is in.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I would not even consider purchase of the M3 until everything is included in the firmware and well after January and all of the testing and commentary is in.
Hello ... I share your opinion ... I do not find sense to buy a drone which is not yet 100% optimized with all its functions, to buy it only because it was put on sale and to follow the trend or the fashion of the rest of the people ... I think to be Thus, we must take the necessary precautions and be very careful with the operation of the M3, I do not doubt its capabilities but the fact that the App is still in development in some configurations, is not what DJI usually does, perhaps for time to develop Either the software for the App can be the explanation or it is one more move by DJI to tempt people and make them think that if the drone is great with what it can do now, what will it be like when it has all the settings enabled. !! ... I think the prudent thing to do for those who want to purchase this M3 is to wait and see how the App develops and how the drone operates ... Greetings.!

Reactions: Point Zero
Hello ... I share your opinion ... I do not find sense to buy a drone which is not yet 100% optimized with all its functions, to buy it only because it was put on sale and to follow the trend or the fashion of the rest of the people ... I think to be Thus, we must take the necessary precautions and be very careful with the operation of the M3, I do not doubt its capabilities but the fact that the App is still in development in some configurations, is not what DJI usually does, perhaps for time to develop Either the software for the App can be the explanation or it is one more move by DJI to tempt people and make them think that if the drone is great with what it can do now, what will it be like when it has all the settings enabled. !! ... I think the prudent thing to do for those who want to purchase this M3 is to wait and see how the App develops and how the drone operates ... Greetings.!

Thank you for agreeing to what I would call common sense. Perhaps we as a drone community will teach the smug people at DJI that we are not as dumb or as compliant as they think we are.

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
I never use RTH, only in a emergency, have not had one of those after 5 years of flying.

I will give you my input after testing the drone today. I decided early in the morning to add the DJI Care for 2 years to have mental peace with this advanced return to home. Once was activated by my DJI care I went to test the drone with no mercy.

I need to say that DJI really did an impressive job. The APASS 5 is incredibly precise under the most difficult conditions. The Advance Return to Home really works much better than what I was thinking. I made a video of part of my testing that I will post later. Now I can say the Mavic 3 is a different animal probably equal to or better than the Skydio2.

DJI really did a great job. I cant wait to see the follow me, tracking system.

I tested today the Advance RTH taking off under a tree flying away and trying to land with RTH at the same spot under the tree and the aircraft came on top of the tree and just hover saying is not a suitable spot for landing.

I was hoping will find a way to go under the tree and land but I was asking for too much. Just testing the limits. Maybe with a firmware update get smarter.

On the paper, advanced RTH sounds good but why on Earth DJI did not add a simple on/off switch for it, is beyond my understanding. I still would not trust the sensors to recognize for instance a powerline. It must not get smarter, the smartest thing is still the user which should have control over by a possible switch at least.

Reactions: Lasidora
On the paper, advanced RTH sounds good but why on Earth DJI did not add a simple on/off switch for it, is beyond my understanding. I still would not trust the sensors to recognize for instance a powerline. It must not get smarter, the smartest thing is still the user which should have control over by a possible switch at least.
^^ This every time, as soon as I read about this new feature I knew it was going to cause more problems than solve, the original RTH worked just fine, why fix what is not broken.....Until Now that is. I wont be purchasing the M3 until these major flaws are fixed, and until Litchi is enabled as another means to control the craft.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
And yet the majority of the reviews, especially on YT, not even mention something like this (though DJI already cluttered the fine print a bit).

Anyway, that somehow doesn't come as a surprise, because for such things you need time and the experience and understanding to question newer = better? I guess, criticising in this matter may scare a heck of influencers not receiving any DJI product to review, if they really want to. And time is money, right? Better release the glowing review asap (and I really would like to like the M3).

More and more I come to the fact, that DJI has some standard procedure in their mind, how the user is expected to use the drone. It may not involve any sort of nearby structure as power lines (so advanced RTH is fine), shooting automated panoramas (soon to be released), changing aperture easily (no custom key without RC Pro, only touchscreen), no direct dial in of heights (now a slider in DJI Fly) waypoints, etc.

There's a load of things, that are so obvious and have been there on previous models, that DJI may just try, if they can reduce their workload on this features in leaving or implementing in a basic set only.

That’s the way I’ve always used it like you’re talking about here obviously it doesn’t work that way anymore that is really crappy if all these things I’m reading are true and I still have one question that somebody please answer is there a pause button that stops RTH and it will just sit there and hover so you can take manual control somebody please reply to that when you can thank you????

That’s the way I’ve always used it like you’re talking about here obviously it doesn’t work that way anymore that is really crappy if all these things I’m reading are true and I still have one question that somebody please answer is there a pause button that stops RTH and it will just sit there and hover so you can take manual control somebody please reply to that when you can thank you????
RTH can always be cancelled by the user, as long as you still have RC control, so the lost signal RTH cannot be cancelled until signal is restored. You can also set the lost signal response to hover instead of RTH, but you better be able to recover it when it finally auto lands due to low battery.

I will give you my input after testing the drone today. I decided early in the morning to add the DJI Care for 2 years to have mental peace with this advanced return to home. Once was activated by my DJI care I went to test the drone with no mercy.

I need to say that DJI really did an impressive job. The APASS 5 is incredibly precise under the most difficult conditions. The Advance Return to Home really works much better than what I was thinking. I made a video of part of my testing that I will post later. Now I can say the Mavic 3 is a different animal probably equal to or better than the Skydio2.

DJI really did a great job. I cant wait to see the follow me, tracking system.
I just utilized Care Refresh on my M3, and it was a very impressive experience. Not counting non-business days, I had a brand new Mavic 3 in 7 days. You will be happy you purchased it!

I would much prefer the option to set RTH to the old mode depending on the situation you find yourself in at the moment. You can usually map out where you are going and have a basic understanding of whether the old style would work out better if you really needed to hit the button. I like the concept of the advanced system, but give me the freedom of choice.

Reactions: DJW43 and zeusfl
I agree the ARTH should be optional.

Reactions: DJW43 and GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929