Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 and Classic

life.in.nb

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Just saw the mavic 3 classic was released.

Needless to say, i am NOT impressed. i paid 2,200 for the Mavic 3. The mavic 3 classic gets RC controller for 1,599. I paid 600 dollars for a tele lens....and a crappier controller.
I am absolutely seething at DJI right now.

Mad enough, that any future drones they release will not be bought by me for at least 1.5 to 2 years. This is absolutely rubbish.
Sorry to sound like a petulant child, but i was already regretting getting the mavic 3 over the air2s. Now i am really regretting it.

Am i missing anything? the only difference between the 2 is the telephoto lens, and the lesser controller?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic 3 by the Sea

Needless to say, i am NOT impressed. i paid 2,200 for the Mavic 3. The mavic 3 classic gets RC controller for 1,599. I paid 600 dollars for a tele lens....and a crappier controller.

Mad enough, that any future drones they release will not be bought by me for at least 1.5 to 2 years. This is absolutely rubbish.
Sorry to sound like a petulant child, but i was already regretting getting the mavic 3 over the air2s. Now i am really regretting it.

Am i missing anything? the only difference between the 2 is the telephoto lens, and the lesser controller?
Agree.
But maybe in the future some firmware updates will be only for m3 and not for m3c?
I dont know, just a grap from the Air.

With all due respect, you had the option to wait and see what DJI would do next before buying a M3. I'm often an early adopter too, and sometimes I get burned, but I've got nobody to blame but myself when it happens and being able to use the product for longer does have value. Historically, DJI has always released multiple variants of the Mavic line. It has also been rumored for quite a while now that DJI would release a single-camera variant of the M3 along with the Enterprise variant that we also now have. That's actually why I held off buying a M3 shortly after its launch, despite my initial excitement for it. I bought a Mini 3 Pro to mess around with while I waited (have a M2P as well) and will probably buy the barebones M3 Classic without remote. Some buyer's remorse is understandable, but it was also avoidable and not DJI's fault. All electronics get cheaper over time, that is is not unique to DJI or the drone industry. You'll always be able to buy something cheaper if you wait, and you always have more options if you wait.

Another way to look at it is that you got ~11 months use out of it, assuming you bought it around launch day - surely that has some value. Judging by your avatar it looks like you also run a drone business, so if you made any money with the M3 over the last ~11 months, I would guess it covered or at least heavily mitigated any price difference. If you needed the M3 for those jobs, then you made the right decision buying the M3 early. If you didn't need the M3 to complete those jobs, then I would question the purchase in the first place (assuming that is why you bought it of course).

Furthermore, unless you need the M3 specifically for the 4/3 sensor and do lots of advanced processing of RAW photos and/or 10bit DLOG H265 footage to take advantage of the extra processing leeway (what you are mostly paying for), an Air 2S or M2P are much better options. If you wanted the M3 for other things like the battery life or the telephoto camera or something like that, obviously that's fine too, but that's not why it costs so much and the value proposition is considerably worse in that scenario. I know I sound like a broken record around here, but the majority of people unhappy about the M3 price aren't taking full advantage of the very things that make it so expensive (not saying this is you), and that is always going to be a recipe for disappointment.

No, you're not missing much other than depending on when you got your Mavic 3, you've had at least a year to use it before the Classic appeared.

Also. this always happens, companies are not going to warn you about new releases, no one does.. and if its not drones, its computers, tablets, other electronics.. the list could go on.. a new model shows up shortly after you purchased if that were the case.

Now if you just got your Mavic 3 and never saw any Classic rumors, and in many cases, rumor sites are getting really good at predicting new hardware these days, one could try and return it and get the Classic if you really thought the Telephoto is not a worthy feature for the extra cash, or you can go out and get the DJI RC for $300 and put the RCN1 in the drawer and never look at it again and move on with your better than a Classic --- >Mavic 3..

Is nonstop eh Meta
IMG_3991.GIF

As others have said that is the way things are with all electronics - there will always be something better and cheaper around the corner, although I wouldn't call the Mavic Classic better.

For me, I bought my Mavic 3 in March then DJI had a spring sale and reduced the price by CAN$150 in April just a month after I bought it. Do I wish I could have got the discounted price - yes! Do I regret buying it when I did - no! I bought it when I needed it as I had long been looking to upgrade to a good camera drone since I skipped the Mavic 2 line and the dual camera system appealed to me. Initially I was disappointed with the quality of the images out of the Tele camera but since I like scouting for hard to find 19th century ruins in my area, I thought it would be useful. Now with the firmware updates and the addition of RAW shooting to the Tele camera, it has become much more useful. I find I am using it quite a lot to complement the landscape and panorama photography that I do with the main camera. I have been quite surprised at the quality of the images I can get from the 7X tele camera and have even shot some good panos with it in good lighting.

This past summer, my family and I did a road trip to Newfoundland for a month and if I would have waited to purchase because of the rumours of the Mavic 3 Classic coming I would not have had my Mavic 3 with me and would have missed the opportunity to get some amazing shots - many that were taken with the 7X tele lens because I could not fly BVLOS.

Chris

The difference is the 7x telephoto, the gimbal lock (no gimbal lock on the M3 Classic—it hangs limp when powered off, making it harder to install the bra), and the superior bra (now redesigned in a much cheaper form on the Classic with far less protection to save money).

Rather than feeling ripped off, I strongly suggest you realize what a gem the 7x telephoto camera currently is. You can safely get the same image and video from 7x further away, and can fly closer, where possible, to use the 4/3 sensor for even better images. It currently supports DNG and manual settings, and can also now be used for Spotlight and POI on static subjects. Try it! You'll like it!

You've also had the use of the drone over the last year!
Two upgrade options now exist for your inferior RC-N1!
The $300 DJI RC and the $1200 RC Pro.
Get the RC Pro, if you can afford it.
The DJI RC is the poor man's RC Pro, which is why it is sold with the poor man's Mavic 3, the Mavic 3 Classic!
You got the right drone.
You just haven't gotten the right RC for it yet!

Last edited:
What is wrong with the RC-N1 controller? My biggest problem is flying in bright light - The RC-N1 uses your phone instead a a screen - the Nits level of my phone is higher than the DJI RC controller.

The difference is the 7x telephoto, the gimbal lock (no gimbal lock on the M3 Classic—it hangs limp when powered off, making it harder to install the bra), and the superior bra (now redesigned in a much cheaper form on the Classic with far less protection to save money).

Rather than feeling ripped off, I strongly suggest you realize what a gem the 7x telephoto camera currently is. You can safely get the same image and video from 7x further away, and can fly closer, where possible, to use the 4/3 sensor for even better images. It currently supports DNG and manual settings, and can also now be used for Spotlight and POI on static subjects. Try it! You'll like it!

The DJI RC is the poor man's RC Pro, which is why it is sold with the poor man's Mavic 3, the Mavic 3 Classic!
You got the right drone.
Bought the RC Pro because it was compatible w both the 2S and 3. Hated having to hook up phone or tablet to earlier controllers, and always had compatibility issues using my newest Samsung phones. The RC Pro is a dream, and when I upgraded to the 3 from the 2S it worked seamlessly. The 3's telephoto lens, much longer batt life, and larger form factor sold me. I couldn't be happier, frankly.

You got the right drone.

Thanks for this reply, i guess i haven't really put the 7x telephoto lens to work, i had planned on photographing some bald eagle nests i know of from a great distance, and thinking about it now, that would come in handy. Other than that, i dont really see a use for it....idea's would be welcome btw! (DM me)

i didn't realize the gimbal lock wasn't avail on classic, that would be a pain.

i think my biggest gripe is just the controller when i step back and take a look, and the huge price reduction.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
With all due respect, you had the option to wait and see what DJI would do next before buying a M3. I'm often an early adopter too, and sometimes I get burned, but I've got nobody to blame but myself when it happens and being able to use the product for longer does have value. Historically, DJI has always released multiple variants of the Mavic line. It has also been rumored for quite a while now that DJI would release a single-camera variant of the M3 along with the Enterprise variant that we also now have. That's actually why I held off buying a M3 shortly after its launch, despite my initial excitement for it. I bought a Mini 3 Pro to mess around with while I waited (have a M2P as well) and will probably buy the barebones M3 Classic without remote. Some buyer's remorse is understandable, but it was also avoidable and not DJI's fault. All electronics get cheaper over time, that is is not unique to DJI or the drone industry. You'll always be able to buy something cheaper if you wait, and you always have more options if you wait.

Yeah, i did to a certain degree, you are right. I guess i assumed that the main top consumer drone they have, would take a bit longer to replace. I understand they would release cheaper drones, just not the basic same drone for a dramatic price decrease...with a better controller.

I knew when i typed this, i would sound as if i'm crying like a child. (thanks to the moderator that was pretty adult in posting that gif) but i guess i was shocked they did it so soon, on a top model. And i knew a price decrease would happen, slowly.

I guess the main point of my post should have been, there has to be something i'm missing in differences, what is it?
Thankfully some have pointed it out.

I appreciate all the replies, thank you folks (except the mod....hrmph 😤 )

There has been times when i have been driving, and saw something, or a scene where i stop, get out the drone as quick as i can. In this case, the phone attaching is a pain in the *** lol.

Speaking of, any plans for the DJI RC to be compatible with more drones? (mini 2?)

I'm miffed about buying a M3 1 year ago on the premise it would have a mechanical shutter.
I'm miffed the controller being a limited RC-N1.
I'm miffed about DJI saying I'll get store credit for buying RC Pro.
I'm miffed there was promise of an SDK later this year that didn't come to pass.

See where this is going? (hint: I'm miffed I bought an expensive drone as an early adopter: should of waited for the M3 Enterprise). I got over it every time because I still have two great cameras (yes I think the 7x Tele is great), and long flight times. I've been enjoying the M3 and learning what I can do with what I have, as opposed to continue to think about what I want to have and what amazing things I can do with that 'magical future drone' (or one that's cheaper).

Surprisingly, I was never that annoyed about the GPS thing.

I'm miffed about buying a M3 1 year ago on the premise it would have a mechanical shutter.
I'm miffed the controller being a limited RC-N1.
I'm miffed about DJI saying I'll get store credit for buying RC Pro.
I'm miffed there was promise of an SDK later this year that didn't come to pass.

See where this is going? (hint: I'm miffed I bought an expensive drone as an early adopter: should of waited for the M3 Enterprise). I got over it every time because I still have two great cameras (yes I think the 7x Tele is great), and long flight times. I've been enjoying the M3 and learning what I can do with what I have, as opposed to continue to think about what I want to have and what amazing things I can do with that 'magical future drone' (or one that's cheaper).

Surprisingly, I was never that annoyed about the GPS thing.
It's always better to look at the glass as half full rather than half empty. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Nothing is perfect. Enjoy the things that work and make the most of them, and try and find workarounds for the rest! I still have a P4P for the mechanical shutter. I replaced the RC-N1 with an RC Pro. The DJI store credit was never going to be much, and it was only to be for Combo purchases, and I bought ala carte. The SDK is still coming. It's taking longer because of the major Mavic 3 FW changes just introduced. I still also have my Mavic 2 Pro to use Litchi with an SDK.

I, too, was only mildly annoyed by the slow GPS fix, because once you got it, everything else was fine, and any battery swaps set the HP immediately. If one couldn't wait for a HP, one could always fly without it, and reset it after it locked. Workarounds are part of life!

Thanks for this reply, i guess i haven't really put the 7x telephoto lens to work, i had planned on photographing some bald eagle nests i know of from a great distance, and thinking about it now, that would come in handy. Other than that, i dont really see a use for it....idea's would be welcome btw! (DM me)

i didn't realize the gimbal lock wasn't avail on classic, that would be a pain.

i think my biggest gripe is just the controller when i step back and take a look, and the huge price reduction.
All of us had to replace the RC-N1 controller with the RC Pro for an enjoyable experience. It was the controller designed specifically for the Mavic 3. The RC-N1 was designed for the Mavic Air 2, and is barely functional with the 7x telephoto where zooming and simultaneous gimbal elevation are essential. The Classic price reduction to compensate for losing the 7x telephoto is only $450. Search the forum for the 7x telephoto threads, and search YT for videos about the 7x telephoto lens uses by professionals. Basically, you can use it for exploring, and to get the shot from 7x further away. Great perspective change, too. It pulls in the background for more impact.

All of us had to replace the RC-N1 controller with the RC Pro for an enjoyable experience. It was the controller designed specifically for the Mavic 3. The RC-N1 was designed for the Mavic Air 2, and is barely functional with the 7x telephoto where zooming and simultaneous gimbal elevation are essential. The Classic price reduction to compensate for losing the 7x telephoto is only $450. Search the forum for the 7x telephoto threads, and search YT for videos about the 7x telephoto lens uses by professionals. Basically, you can use it for exploring, and to get the shot from 7x further away. Great perspective change, too. It pulls in the background for more impact.
Some 7x usage examples:
MAVIC 3 IS BETTER THAN YOU THINK

I find the 7x cam to be such a tremendous asset for both Cine and stills that I would have easily spent an extra $1k for that feature add on alone. It’s like any other tool, you test it to see where it’s limits are and then learn how to leverage its strengths.

With the new firmware my Mavic 3 Cine is such an absolute beast now for both stills and motion work. It will also be my official RID / FAA P107 “Handshake” bird for commercial work.

I really need to sell my MP2 so I can justify an Avata, lol!

It's always better to look at the glass as half full rather than half empty. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Nothing is perfect. Enjoy the things that work and make the most of them, and try and find workarounds for the rest! I still have a P4P for the mechanical shutter. I replaced the RC-N1 with an RC Pro. The DJI store credit was never going to be much, and it was only to be for Combo purchases, and I bought ala carte. The SDK is still coming. It's taking longer because of the major Mavic 3 FW changes just introduced. I still also have my Mavic 2 Pro to use Litchi with an SDK.

I, too, was only mildly annoyed by the slow GPS fix, because once you got it, everything else was fine, and any battery swaps set the HP immediately. If one couldn't wait for a HP, one could always fly without it, and reset it after it locked. Workarounds are part of life!

So pardon my noobness, but whats this SDK all about? obviously software, but is it more for 3rd party apps?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22