DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Ascending when flying forward.

Chrisn997

Reactions
I have had everything from a Phantom 3 Pro to an Inspire and have never seen this. But I just got the Mavic 3 and when flying forward it ascends on its own. Even at 200+ feet and will hit the maximum altitude without in ascending yoke input. Is this because of the ability of the M3 to see further when in Bypass mode? Confused. Any idea. I have calibrated the controller and IMU but its raining here now and have not been able to test.

Reactions: Plasma
I have had everything from a Phantom 3 Pro to an Inspire and have never seen this. But I just got the Mavic 3 and when flying forward it ascends on its own. Even at 200+ feet and will hit the maximum altitude without in ascending yoke input. Is this because of the ability of the M3 to see further when in Bypass mode? Confused. Any idea. I have calibrated the controller and IMU but its raining here now and have not been able to test.
I think this is because bypass is on. I would think we could tell it how high to fly above an object. The fact that a house is 130' below it should not mean that it climbs in altitude like it does. Can't help but feel I am missing something.

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.

Bypass mode ? Is that your term for obstacle avoidance I guess ?
If so, then no it should have no bearing whatsoever in that behaviour.

You shouldn't need to calibrate those (controller / IMU etc), but I suppose wait for the weather to clear, and go do some testing.
Hopefully you will find it ok.

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for DJI to get the bugs out of this latest piece of technology, and all the features working as they advertised.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrisn997
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.

Bypass mode ? Is that your term for obstacle avoidance I guess ?
If so, then no it should have no nearing whatsoever in that behaviour.

You shouldn't need to calibrate those, but I suppose wait for the weather to clear, and go do some testing.
Hopefully you will find it ok.

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for DJI to get the bugs to of this latest piece of technology, and all the features working as they advertised.
Thank you sir. Yeah I agree. I was able to get out for a bit. Turned bypass off and flew it, and no issues. Its crazy how this thing behaves. Its completely different than any of the models before it. It actually banks vs yawing which is pretty cool to watch. I will get out and do another test tomorrow during the daylight when I can turn on Bypass mode.

New-DJI-Mavic-Air-2-features-improve-cinematic-capabilities-and-obstacle-avoidance-0101.jpeg

I'll bet this explains what I am seeing with my Air 2S. When I'm landing, I tend to make adjustments at around 2-3 meters to get lined up with my landing pad. Unlike my Mini 2, the Air 2S seems to climb when I try to move laterally to prep for landing. But that's probably because there were obstacles close enough for the Bypass to kick in (e.g. a picknick table under 10 ft. away).

Reactions: Xitor
I had the identical issue occur yesterday. Flying in a familiar place where I’ve made 100’s of flights with mini, air and air 2. Took off on my second flight with the 3 and about 300 feet out 150 up I saw it jump up 50 feet without ANY input on stick. Freaked me out and I immediately returned. Have had drone 1 week and two firmware updates already. There’s so much missing in the feature department. I’m suspicious that this thing was rushed out without really being ready. Will likely wait for a couple of weeks. Too expensive to risk. Have never seen this type of behavior and this is my 4th DJI craft. Nervous but hopefull.

Reactions: redserv
I had the identical issue occur yesterday. Flying in a familiar place where I’ve made 100’s of flights with mini, air and air 2. Took off on my second flight with the 3 and about 300 feet out 150 up I saw it jump up 50 feet without ANY input on stick. Freaked me out and I immediately returned. Have had drone 1 week and two firmware updates already. There’s so much missing in the feature department. I’m suspicious that this thing was rushed out without really being ready. Will likely wait for a couple of weeks. Too expensive to risk. Have never seen this type of behavior and this is my 4th DJI craft. Nervous but hopefull.
Think I’ll take it up in sport w/o sensors and see what happens. The only thing in front of it are mountains 5 miles away. If it’s reacting to those - then I’m turning off the sensors.

Reactions: TnDronePilot
. I’m suspicious that this thing was rushed out without really being ready.

I hope the M3 doesn’t have some issue(s) as the Mini did on release, with its uncommanded descents, insufficient power.
Took a while for these to be ironed out by DJI, a lot of aircraft lost during that time.

There’s a big difference between releasing a drone with some missing non essential features, and releasing ine with some serious flight deficiencies.

Good luck with sports mode.

As a matter of interest . . .
How are you (and others) dealing with this ?
Are you reporting it to DJI, or just posting it here hoping for a solution, trying your own ideas to work it out ?

I guess DJI needs consistent feedback on things like this to actually become aware of anything serious needing attention.

Reactions: Plasma
So I took it out today and no issues whatsoever. Yesterday it was windy 8mph approximately. Today calm. So not sure if the issue remains.

Update. Flew several times yesterday and seems it’s not happening every time. I need to do some additional testing to know for sure, but I believe the issue is only in the bypass mode. After IMU and controller calibration I flew again yesterday. One time without issue the other time the issue occurred again. I turned Bypass to Break and then flew it and it performed as expected. Turned Bypass back on and didn’t have the issue the rest of the flight. So I’ll try to get some additional flights in today and see if I can recreate the scenario.

You have it in FPV mode as opposed to follow mode, that's why it's banking.
I think he means that when it's trying to avoid an obstacle it will do so by strafing in order not to change where the camera is pointing, which would make sense. Not that the camera view is actually banking.

I'm sorry for posting and asking on this thread, too.. but I had also some strange behaviour on my M3 maiden flight a couple of minutes ago. I think my M3 also ascends while moving forward... although it was my first flight with it, the overall flight behaviour felt a bit "strange" and a bit choppy. Maybe it was a tiny bit windy but never got this behaviour on my other drones before. I'm coming from a M2P (own a Air 1st gen and Mini 1st gen also) and have flown like 350 km or so.

I had the feeling that when going straight ahead, and turned left or right (left stick left/right in standard layout), the drone was immediately braking and then just turning and not flying forward anymore. All other movements were not so calm and gently like on my M2. When watching the drone up close from behinde, the rear arms or the rear motors were shaking ... vibrating. I've never seen this on my M2 up close. Can you confirm, your M3 drones are behaving the same?

I'm a bit nervous because I considered this drone a serious upgrade from my M2 (already sold).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27