DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Cine Chicago Gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtortPhotography

Reactions
Thanks for letting me down DJI having 500gigs of the best Chicago pro res footage I ever captured and becoming unresponsive and breaking total connection to my app and flying away on me and recording an inaccurate home point….$5k gone and priceless footage for a client! SO bummed on DJI right now.

Attachments

• 2700C785-1ABE-4786-AB06-912B0B2DF64C.jpeg
    2700C785-1ABE-4786-AB06-912B0B2DF64C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 307
Thanks for letting me down DJI having 500gigs of the best Chicago pro res footage I ever captured and becoming unresponsive and breaking total connection to my app and flying away on me and recording an inaccurate home point….$5k gone and priceless footage for a client! SO bummed on DJI right now.
If I were you I'd be scouring the whole of Chicago. Maybe I'm just cheap. lol. But yes, as @VenomXts said, it'll probably be useful to post the flight logs and understand what happened.

Has anyone tried sticking an Apple AirTag on a drone before?

I've successfully used Tiles on my FPV drones before.
I haven't personally, but I do remember seeing a YouTube video about 2 months ago on this... I can't seem to find it unfortunately. The airtag "worked" but you had to be in fairly close proximity for it to do any good. The owner of the video stated that he would stick with flashing lights or something that makes a loud tone in the event of a crash.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
Has anyone tried sticking an Apple AirTag on a drone before?

I've successfully used Tiles on my FPV drones before.
Interesting idea. Considering the small size, it can't hurt and you might as well. Can never be too prepared.

DJI Care Refresh? I know it won't recover your footage, but...

Interesting idea. Considering the small size, it can't hurt and you might as well. Can never be too prepared.
Not sure how well it would work with a camera drone, since you're flying very far away and the search area is much bigger. But, with AirTags the network is much larger than the bluetooth network Tiles are on, so who knows. Worth a shot since they're so cheap and light.

Not sure how well it would work with a camera drone, since you're flying very far away and the search area is much bigger. But, with AirTags the network is much larger than the bluetooth network Tiles are on, so who knows. Worth a shot since they're so cheap and light.
I'm not really thinking of using it to find exactly where the drone is from wherever you flew from. I'm thinking more along the lines of using the last known location in the DJI Fly App (Or wherever it is, I've never needed it so never looked) and when you arrive at that location, use the AirTag to find precisely where it is. It's also useful when you lose it at home... that's never happened to me of course. That advice is meant for those of you who are forgetful... 🤥

I haven't personally, but I do remember seeing a YouTube video about 2 months ago on this... I can't seem to find it unfortunately. The airtag "worked" but you had to be in fairly close proximity for it to do any good. The owner of the video stated that he would stick with flashing lights or something that makes a loud tone in the event of a crash.
For AirTags to work, they have to be close to an iOS device running certain versions of iOS.

So after flying away, the drone would have to have landed or crashed near people.

And if a person found it, they could dispose of the AirTag and have themselves a free drone.

How do people affix it anyways? You have to be able to replace the battery at some point.

So after flying away, the drone would have to have landed or crashed near people.
This is why I'm saying that you should use the last known location in the fly app to figure out where the drone is and use the AirTag for a more precise location.

Reactions: orionshooter
I am new to DJI. Can you see that home is set properly before flying the drone? I have read a few posts on the device losing connection. some corrected it with changing to sport mode and back. I think this is the first I read here on not coming back. i am just curious what to look for before I fly the mavic 3 for the first time.

I haven't personally, but I do remember seeing a YouTube video about 2 months ago on this... I can't seem to find it unfortunately. The airtag "worked" but you had to be in fairly close proximity for it to do any good.

Might have been Rotor Riots FPV test ?

Very entertaining video (not to mention the usual FPV action), and yes with the Apple phone / device network, you might have some luck, more than tiles that's for sure.

Where were you flying and when? This is not good. Whatever they are calling Ocusync 3 is supposed to have a stronger connection. Any idea what happened? Had you flown it much before?

$5k has to hurt a lot. Is there no fly away coverage from DJI????

Where were you flying and when? This is not good. Whatever they are calling Ocusync 3 is supposed to have a stronger connection. Any idea what happened? Had you flown it much before?

$5k has to hurt a lot. Is there no fly away coverage from DJI????

I'm hoping the OP might post the TXT flight log, will be interesting to see a) what happened, b) if the analysis can possibly help pinpoint a possible location, and c) if it's something they COULD possibly approach DJI for if it was equipment failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22