DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Classic d-log weirdness?

SmilingOgre

Reactions
Been doing some testing and grading with the M3C and Davinci Resolve using d-log. Oddest thing. Everything will be going along fine and I'll get maybe a second of super saturated footage. Watching the scopes in Davinci Resolve my black point will crush for that one second then return to the original set point. Everything is set to manual including white balance. Just wondered if anyone else has noted this in their footage. At first I thought maybe color space transform was a bit buggy but got the same results when it was removed from the node chain. No noticeable radical change in lighting that I can see from the footage. I'll keep toying around and see if I can catch any other influences that I missed so far.

Example:

Last edited:
That's weird, never seen this before. Which frame rate were you shooting at? And do you remember the ISO?

That's weird, never seen this before. Which frame rate were you shooting at? And do you remember the ISO?
Shooting 24fps. ISO is fixed at 400 in the Classic when using D-log. Had to push F stop to 11 and push shutter speed to 400. (have nd's on order whenever DJI decides to ship them) Even with no grading applied to the clip the waveform scopes jump during those "glitches" in color. Everything is locked down in manual mode. I have to work for a couple of days now but soon I will try hlg and see if I get the same glitches. Of course there's nothing on the web except like my channel and buy my lut, lol.

Reactions: manowar_gub
Are yr DR project settings all correct? ie you have timeline, input and out all at the correct frame rate.
if you zoom in to maximum on the timeline, you should be able to step through one frame at a time withe the left & right arrow keys.
i don’t have the M3C but isn’t there a constant bit rate, constant quality setting. Maybe you should tell us what all your m3c settings were.

Are yr DR project settings all correct? ie you have timeline, input and out all at the correct frame rate.
if you zoom in to maximum on the timeline, you should be able to step through one frame at a time withe the left & right arrow keys.
i don’t have the M3C but isn’t there a constant bit rate, constant quality setting. Maybe you should tell us what all your m3c settings were.
I use Resolve managed color space and a 24fps timeline, UHD. The M3C is set to d-log, h265, 24fps UHD. To my knowledge there is no setting to change from constant quality to constant bit rate.

As I said before I don’t have the M3. I think I saw on another post u have the BMPCC4K so yr familiar with CBR & I think it’s constant quality (or variable bit rate). I saw this most discussing the subject related to the M3 so I assume it’s hidden in the settings somewhere.
Im not saying this is the problem yr having but worth checking

As I said before I don’t have the M3. I think I saw on another post u have the BMPCC4K so yr familiar with CBR & I think it’s constant quality (or variable bit rate). I saw this most discussing the subject related to the M3 so I assume it’s hidden in the settings somewhere.
Thank you! I will do some digging and see if I can't find a switch to choose with. It does stand to reason that the two may have something to do with this oddity. And yes, all of my BM cameras have both options available. Good thinking!!!

Here's a quote from another post:

Hi everyone,

What are your go to video settings on the M3?

Mine are 5.1K 30FPS in VBR. Ideally, I will do D-LOG and then the CBR/VBR option disappears, but in normal mode I select VBR. I want to make sure I am getting the best footage possible. Which one do you use and which is better?

The only video out of camera that has looked silky smooth to me is 4K 60FPS. Everything else has been jittery somewhat.

Thanks!

Your information is still valuable as I will be trying both HLG and Normal color profiles to see if I can get something that will stay steady.

Been doing some testing and grading with the M3C and Davinci Resolve using d-log. Oddest thing. Everything will be going along fine and I'll get maybe a second of super saturated footage. Watching the scopes in Davinci Resolve my black point will crush for that one second then return to the original set point. Everything is set to manual including white balance. Just wondered if anyone else has noted this in their footage. At first I thought maybe color space transform was a bit buggy but got the same results when it was removed from the node chain. No noticeable radical change in lighting that I can see from the footage. I'll keep toying around and see if I can catch any other influences that I missed so far.

Example:
oh mister, very sad to see that.

I started the topic in DJI forums cos it is knowing bug in mavic 3 standart I described in 3 and 4 point: Mavic 3 issues came to Mavic 3 Classic... or not?

Your video proove that is hardware bug coming from mavic 3 standart and DJI dont solved that for "updated" drone

In "normal working cameras" there is no chance to get exposition change, or white balance change, shooting in manual settings.

Even after 1 year of launching mavic 3 series, the bug still with us

• Wow
Reactions: SmilingOgre
oh mister, very sad to see that.

I started the topic in DJI forums cos it is knowing bug in mavic 3 standart I described in 3 and 4 point: Mavic 3 issues came to Mavic 3 Classic... or not?

Your video proove that is hardware bug coming from mavic 3 standart and DJI dont solved that for "updated" drone

In "normal working cameras" there is no chance to get exposition change, or white balance change, shooting in manual settings.

Even after 1 year of launching mavic 3 series, the bug still with us

It is sad to read this as well. I was hoping it was something that could be "fixed". I called DJI briefly yesterday and they wanted to start testing. I didn't have the drone in hand and made arrangements to call on Monday for testing. This devaluates the drone substantially for me. When I put the "perfect take" in post and find these glitches it's very disappointing. Definitely not performance I would anticipate from a "flagship" drone. I have been considering a part 107 but there is no way I'm spending the time, money, and effort with this defective deliverable at the end of the process.

When I put the "perfect take" in post and find these glitches it's very disappointing
That is the point

The mavic 3 has advantage, as DJI advertised - m43 sensor, but internal post-process gives us weird color bugs, for example in d-log, where we can get the real profit of m43 sensor (for example, compared for air2s 1" sensor)

I assume, most mavic 3 users even dont shoot d-log, they prefer "normal" out of box 8-bit profile

And my key question to DJI: what the reason to use m3 to shoot 8-bit "normal" video if that can be done by drones 2...3 times cheaper in their 8-bit modes with +/- similar dynamic range and noise level?

The price for m3 is huge, even for m3 classic, I waited him, thinking they released raw mavic 3 in november 2021 and 1 year is enough to solve all hardware/software issues, but no, color issues still not solved in mavic 3, in updated mavic 3 classic

I will be very surprised and keep my fingers crossed for you so you can solve the issue. From my experience, DJI can 1) say its normal 2) offer to replace drone

That is the point

The mavic 3 has advantage, as DJI advertised - m43 sensor, but internal post-process gives us weird color bugs, for example in d-log, where we can get the real profit of m43 sensor (for example, compared for air2s 1" sensor)

I assume, most mavic 3 users even dont shoot d-log, they prefer "normal" out of box 8-bit profile

And my key question to DJI: what the reason to use m3 to shoot 8-bit "normal" video if that can be done by drones 2...3 times cheaper in their 8-bit modes with +/- similar dynamic range and noise level?

The price for m3 is huge, even for m3 classic, I waited him, thinking they released raw mavic 3 in november 2021 and 1 year is enough to solve all hardware/software issues, but no, color issues still not solved in mavic 3, in updated mavic 3 classic

I will be very surprised and keep my fingers crossed for you so you can solve the issue. From my experience, DJI can 1) say its normal 2) offer to replace drone
You nailed it. "That is the point".

Not to diminish the value of the palette of flight modes, zoom lens, etc., the Mavic 3 line offers me a MFT camera purported to deliver images suitable for inclusion with footage from advanced cinema cameras. That is my only objective with this drone. I purchased it to acquire footage that I can cut with black magic cinema cameras. It is very frustrating that in large this can be accomplished until the glitch occurs. I have already produced timelines with very convincing matches in video giving the illusion that all of the footage could have been produced with the same camera system and quite frankly, I consider it to be gorgeous footage. Then comes the glitch. What now? A disastrous jump cut? Some irrelevant "C" roll to mask the mess? Leave the glitch in and hope the majority of the audience is busy eating popcorn at that moment? I digress, I'm making myself angry which will serve no purpose.

Reactions: manowar_gub
Same topic but for mavic 3 standart/cine: Flicker Flicker FLICKER!!!! 😬

And I am recommend to read chineese DJI forum about m3: for example here (use google translate). They dont like at all mavic 3 line calling them Yusan

upd: another color tint topic in china forum: 御3 固定参数下的延时闪烁问题-航拍无人机-大疆社区
upd2: Mavic3 拍彩虹紫色也异常-航拍无人机-大疆社区

as I read in chinese forums, dji won't listen for customers, and chinese users call m3 series semifinished and abandoned, due of still having not solving such problems and dont respond for customers topics

Last edited:
Reactions: SmilingOgre
Same topic but for mavic 3 standart/cine: Flicker Flicker FLICKER!!!! 😬

And I am recommend to read chineese DJI forum about m3: for example here (use google translate). They dont like at all mavic 3 line calling them Yusan

upd: another color tint topic in china forum: 御3 固定参数下的延时闪烁问题-航拍无人机-大疆社区
upd2: Mavic3 拍彩虹紫色也异常-航拍无人机-大疆社区

as I read in chinese forums, dji won't listen for customers, and chinese users call m3 series semifinished and abandoned, due of still having not solving such problems and dont respond for customers topics
upd2 is already fixed with the latest firmware. Other ones, let time say.

If you tag youtube uploaded video not as for childrens, there will be ability to write comments :)

When I watched your new vids, you still meet that issue. Try to shoot all-manual settings in 30/50p instead of 24p, probably dji cant solve that in 24p mode
The drone is on it's way to see the DJI doctor. I'm hoping I get something back that works better.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus