DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 color shifting in white balance / color tint

flyliedutch

Reactions
Today I fly with my Mavic 3 in cloudy conditions.
When I loaded the photo into Adobe Lightroom Classic (version 11) I saw that the white balance is not exactly the same color tint in the whole picture.
At the left and right side the tint is more purple, and in the middle more green. Changing the white balance or color tint in Lightroom don't give a solution because it changed the whole picture. Is this a sensor / camera defect?

Look at the color of the clouds...

Screenshots
JPG SOOC:

DNG SOOC:

JPG EDITED in LR:

What do you think?

Edit:

Here is a picture I took this morning of a ship. Look at the color shifting on the right (purple)...

Last edited:
Could be something wrong with the filter in front of the lens.

These type of shots are really difficult as they almost have no focus point except for the horizon and the fog is constantly shifting so very difficult to get a read.

I would start by taking some well focused shots to judge the Camera ability and not base to much data off of those pictures.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , Capture the Storm.
C0003.00_07_41_16.Still011-1.jpg

These type of shots are really difficult as they almost have no focus point except for the horizon and the fog is constantly shifting so very difficult to get a read.

I would start by taking some well focused shots to judge the Camera ability and not base to much data off of those pictures.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , Capture the Storm.
View attachment 138191
It has nothing to do with focus point. I took several pictures and the color shifting is visible in all pictures at the same point.

I will make some more pictures tomorrow when the weather is better.

When i downloaded the picture which i think were full res , i notice this right away when i zoomed in. I may be wrong but it seems off to me , Maybe the download was not the Full Picture.

2021-11-11_11h20_31.png

When i downloaded the picture which i think were full res , i notice this right away when i zoomed in. I may be wrong but it seems off to me , Maybe the download was not the Full Picture.

View attachment 138192
No it’s not the high res.

I will send you a pb with the link to the original pictures.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Here is an example of this morning with a ship. It's really bad:

Attachments

• 20211111_DJI_0047-bewerkt_MSC_VIRGO.jpg
    20211111_DJI_0047-bewerkt_MSC_VIRGO.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I use the original filter… don’t use any filter…

Thats the part I am referring too. The M2P had a lot of issues with lens quality, so it follows that there could also be issues with these stock filters/ windshields.

Thats the part I am referring too. The M2P had a lot of issues with lens quality, so it follows that there could also be issues with these stock filters/ windshields.
So you suggest to remove the stock UV filter?

So you suggest to remove the stock UV filter?

If you feel safe doing so, I would, and then redo the test. Just isolate that as a cause or non-issue.

Here is an example of this morning with a ship. It's really bad:
Could be a problem with the converter from RAW but I doubt that.
Seems something going on with the sensor or the IR filter not properly placed infront. It reminds me on cheap ND filters, which add tint and quite some vignetting. If you can make sure, that the original plain filter is on top, I would return it asap and exchange it with a new one.

Reactions: Coskier
Today I fly with my Mavic 3 in cloudy conditions.
When I loaded the photo into Adobe Lightroom Classic (version 11) I saw that the white balance is not exactly the same color tint in the whole picture.
At the left and right side the tint is more purple, and in the middle more green. Changing the white balance or color tint in Lightroom don't give a solution because it changed the whole picture. Is this a sensor / camera defect?

Look at the color of the clouds...

Screenshots
JPG SOOC:

DNG SOOC:

JPG EDITED in LR:

What do you think?

Edit:

Here is a picture I took this morning of a ship. Look at the color shifting on the right (purple)...

So I got your raw file and what you are seeing is there, but I'd like to get another one with a different angle to the sun. Were you using any filters on the camera?

In the untouched raw it is barely noticeable unless I add heavy dehaze but there is a hint of it.
Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 6.20.04 PM.png
This is a filter in photoshop that shows only the hues in of the photo and you can definitely see there is some magenta and cyan tinting. Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 6.20.38 PM.png
However, if I use another helper layer called solar curve it shows that the sun is also in that location so I am wondering if this is flare or ghosting from the sun. Would need a few more examples preferably from a different day and different white balance conditions such as a sunny to figure this out. Also, if you were using any filters on the camera please remove them.
Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 6.20.52 PM.png

I don’t use any filters. I will make some new pictures today and will share them with you.

I run Mac OS 12.0.1 with Adobe Lightroom Classic 11.0 and the latest firmware on the drone.
I will fly again today (it's sunny here) and I will post some DNG's as well.

But at this edit from brett8883 you can see the problem (purple on left and right, or the problem is maybe the green in the middel i don't know):

screen-shot-2021-11-11-at-6-20-38-pm-png.138229

Oh btw here is the DNG of the ship picture. See for yourself how bad it is (purple/green).

20211111-DJI-0047-bewerkt-MSC-VIRGO.jpg

Download DNG here.
Download link 2 (backup): DNG here

Let me know what you think guys. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123