DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Mavic 3, dng files missing from SD card

BaldyBoyBilly

Reactions
I’ve been flying my m3 for about a year and yesterday was the first time this issue appeared.

I captured a number of images (set to jpeg/raw) along with several 360 panos and video.

Reviewing the files from the sd card, there are a number of dng files missing of photos taken, all of the jpg files are showing up but about 15% of the dngs are “AWOL”.

Regarding the panos, ALL dng files are missing.

Any ideas why?

Reactions: R.Cowan
Does your card come with recovery software?

I’m not familiar with that. This sd card is a sandisk extreme. I format my cards before using each time and as far as I know there’s nothing on the card.

To clarify, I have not formatted this particular card after my last flight. I assume you’re suggesting the missing files may be on the card but not showing. I’ll look into recovery. Thanks.

To clarify, I have not formatted this particular card after my last flight. I assume you’re suggesting the missing files may be on the card but not showing. I’ll look into recovery. Thanks.
When you buy a SanDisk extreme, they invariably come with a little card that has a code for downloading their recovery software. If you did not get that card and got a really good deal on a SanDisk SD card there’s a very good chance it was counterfeit. it would be easy to miss the software as it is inside the cardboard.

I ran a recovery program on the sd card. It did NOT find the missing dng files.
Present on the card are dng files (and the corresponding jpgs) taken before and after the missing dngs. I can find the jpg versions of the files but not the dng files. I likely will not be able to get those back, but I'd like to understand why this happened so I can prevent it from occuring again.

Thanks for your info about recovery included w the cards. Although I didnt get a great deal, I dont recall seeing the details you mention.

I’ve been flying my m3 for about a year and yesterday was the first time this issue appeared.

I captured a number of images (set to jpeg/raw) along with several 360 panos and video.

Reviewing the files from the sd card, there are a number of dng files missing of photos taken, all of the jpg files are showing up but about 15% of the dngs are “AWOL”.

Regarding the panos, ALL dng files are missing.

Any ideas why?
I had the same with my Sandisk extreme. Set for Jpeg and DNG. Took 18 photos and missing 5 of the DNG's. I also am curious why this is happening as its happened a couple of different times now. Bought my card from Best Buy, so don't think it could be counterfeit.

You MUST when flying (even at 10 feet) select a panorama mode and then touch the right lower camera settings and you will see that the panorama is probably set to JPEG only even if you had selected JPEG/RAW in the Camara settings screen. The panorama folder will now obtain the DNG files. I learned this just last week. Panorama works like it’s own mode inside the picture mode. I can’t comment about the other “missing” DNG files.

Thanks, that is a consideration I did not think of.
Hopefully, that's what happened. I've used dozen of SanDisk cards over the years, and they are my go-to brand. I never format cards except on first use, and I can't say I've ever lost a file in 15 years. I merely delete the files on my computer after backing them up, and put in back in the drone. Best of luck in the future.

I wasn’t aware that pano mode doesn’t adopt the file types selected in the camera.

Will pay more attention to that requirement. Appreciate the heads up.

I do a lot of pano imaging on my drones, but always do it manually. I have no idea if the auto feature will capture the spread I desire with the overlap and rows horiz or vert that will produce the image I want to make. I get all my files in DNG and use ACR to merge them into a raw file that I can get the most out of. It's the exact same process that I use with my land based cameras. Some aerial panos:

harborpano-2023-2.jpg

harborpano8.jpg

spencerdrone11.jpgmuleypoint10.jpg

Reactions: Anthony Ivory
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada