DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 DNGs are Problematical

mavicbopper

Reactions
I've been shooting DJI DNGs for three years with the Mavic 2 Pro. Now I've started with the Mavic 3 Classic. I experienced very satisfying results processing the M2P DxO, first to convert the image to tiff, then into Lightroom or Photoshop. Always great results.

I will add that LR is LR6 (very old) and PS is CS5 (also very old). DxO is Lab2, all older versions (without subscriptions).

Now with the Mavic 3 DNG, I can only use Adobe Camera Raw to start the DNG process and get the image into PhotoShop. For some reason, ACR6 will open the DNG, but unsurprisingly, PS CS5, will not . Neither will DxO for the Mavic 3 DNGs. The M2P DNGs will open in DxO. But, with all this the eventual movement of the Mavic 3 DNGs though ACR and into PS CS5, then to LR6 (laborious), ends up producing very poor results. I find the sliders in LR6 producing very little affect.

DJI did something and it's not good. Something changed with the DNGs between M2P and M3C. I'm going to try the DxO Pure Raw 30 Day trial to see if this will address the situation.

As others have commented, the jpg images are FAR Superior to what I can produce from the M3C DNGs. The Mavic 3 Classic is a great FLYER, but the still photos using DNG are very disappointing.

Reactions: SFC117
The Mavic 3 Classic is a great FLYER, but the still photos using DNG are very disappointing.
Must be your old software. I think the DNG files from the Classic are really good, and can take a lot of adjustment/tweaking before they crack up. I use the aged Photoshop CS6 with Camera Raw 8.6.

Reactions: rickmurray1989
The Mavic 3 Classic is a great FLYER, but the still photos using DNG are very disappointing.
Upload an example to dropbox or similar and post a link for someone else to see what they can do with it.
That should confirm whether the issue is the dng file or something at your end.

An example of the jpg files you complained about would be good too.

Upload an example to dropbox or similar and post a link for someone else to see what they can do with it.
That should confirm whether the issue is the dng file or something at your end.

An example of the jpg files you complained about would be good too.
I will do so this morning.

No problems whatever with current software. DxO does a wonderful job with the DNG files and drops them back into Lightroom Classic (current version) for further edits in RAW.

The problem is at your end with out of date processing software.

ACR6 will open the DNG, but unsurprisingly, PS CS5, will not
I tried opening some M3 Classic DNG-files in Photoshop CS5, with Camera Raw 6.7 installed. No problems, the files opened perfectly fine.

I will do so this morning.
I ventured out and shot some more images for sharing.

Inexplicably, a couple of things occurred.

1. The images are better, both the jpgs and the DNGs
2. The DJI DNGs were directly "openable" by my LR6
3. LR6 was usable to post process the DNGs and further work them accordingly in PS SC5.
4. DxO Lab 2, still won't open the DNGs. Not Surprising, it's likely a business decision to press users to upgrade.
5. Did not try to open them directly into PS. They don't open in PS, but trying to triggers ACR 6 to open them. Aslong as LR6 opens them, it's superior to ACR.

Right now, I OK with the results. The DJI Fly app for stills is a bit different on the M3C as compared to the M2P. So I've got to get adept using it. That won't be a problem.

I'm going to try to attach the files to this reply, but maybe there's a size limit and won't be able to. I don't use DropBox or Google Clouds, but have on and off success with MS OneDrive. For OneDrive I would need an email address.

Forum permits only jpgs as attachments. The DNGs and tiff is not recognized.

The out of camera jpg. is too large and won't attach.

No problems whatever with current software. DxO does a wonderful job with the DNG files and drops them back into Lightroom Classic (current version) for further edits in RAW.

The problem is at your end with out of date processing software.
I agree that the old version of DxO that works with M2P DNGs and NOT with M3 Classic is the explanation for the "can't open" I get when trying to do so with the M3 files. A good way to press users to upgrade.

I find today that images shot this morning are openable in LR6, which is great.

I think, but wouldn't bet on it, that the image files I had problems with were quirks in M3 DNGs that baffled ACR and LR6.

It's early in the game, but I'm still thinking the M2P camera is superior to the M3 for stills. I'll shoot more and see.

Did not try to open them directly into PS. They don't open in PS, but trying to triggers ACR 6 to open them.
Yes, that is the way Photoshop and ACR works. ACR is Photoshops raw-converter.

Aslong as LR6 opens them, it's superior to ACR.
LR6 and Adobe Camera Raw uses the exact same file converting engine.

I've been shooting DJI DNGs for three years with the Mavic 2 Pro. Now I've started with the Mavic 3 Classic. I experienced very satisfying results processing the M2P DxO, first to convert the image to tiff, then into Lightroom or Photoshop. Always great results.

I will add that LR is LR6 (very old) and PS is CS5 (also very old). DxO is Lab2, all older versions (without subscriptions).

Now with the Mavic 3 DNG, I can only use Adobe Camera Raw to start the DNG process and get the image into PhotoShop. For some reason, ACR6 will open the DNG, but unsurprisingly, PS CS5, will not . Neither will DxO for the Mavic 3 DNGs. The M2P DNGs will open in DxO. But, with all this the eventual movement of the Mavic 3 DNGs though ACR and into PS CS5, then to LR6 (laborious), ends up producing very poor results. I find the sliders in LR6 producing very little affect.

DJI did something and it's not good. Something changed with the DNGs between M2P and M3C. I'm going to try the DxO Pure Raw 30 Day trial to see if this will address the situation.

As others have commented, the jpg images are FAR Superior to what I can produce from the M3C DNGs. The Mavic 3 Classic is a great FLYER, but the still photos using DNG are very disappointing.
Update.

Images shot this morning to share with the forum have not been a problem for LR6 to open. And LR permits editing as usual. Can't explain the problems with the shots I took a few days ago.

I have no explanation for the problems. Hopefully is was an anomaly that doesn't repeat!

In trying to upload examples to this forum, I can't. It doesn't recognize DNGs or TIFFs. And the out of camera jpg is too large.

3. LR6 was usable to post process the DNGs and further work them accordingly in PS SC5.
4. DxO Lab 2, still won't open the DNGs. Not Surprising, it's likely a business decision to press users to upgrade.
5. Did not try to open them directly into PS. They don't open in PS, but trying to triggers ACR 6 to open them. Aslong as LR6 opens them, it's superior to ACR.

Right now, I OK with the results. The DJI Fly app for stills is a bit different on the M3C as compared to the M2P. So I've got to get adept using it. That won't be a problem.

I'm going to try to attach the files to this reply, but maybe there's a size limit and won't be able to. I don't use DropBox or Google Clouds, but have on and off success with MS OneDrive. For OneDrive I would need an email address.

Link:

I opened the 0309.dng in Photoshop, and there is nothing wrong with the quality.
However, for even better quality you should have used ISO 100 instead of 200, and a larger aperture, for example 4 or 5.6.

More info on Dx) Lab support. v 2 does not support the M3C . DNGs require v.5. See the snipped jpg from the DxO site. It doesn't show the M2P but shows the Mavic 2 Zoom. The M2P is shown on the previous page.

1672862281953.png

I opened the 0309.dng in Photoshop, and there is nothing wrong with the quality.
However, for even better quality you should have used ISO 100 instead of 200, and a larger aperture, for example 4 or 5.6.
All cameras, even of the same brand, produce varying quality images at identical ISOs and F stops. The difference between 100 and 200 I see to be imperceptible, though a finicky man would run it through NIK Define, and I do occasionally for > 400 ISO. As far as the F stop, I do agree that 5,6,7 are typically superior. Frankly I didn't give the F stop the attention it needed and would have used F 7.1 had I noticed.

Noise and corner to corner sharpness are worthy of attention, but out of camera exposure, to me is more important to prevent the need for excessive exposure adjustment and masking in post.

I'm warming up to the Mavic 3; but, right now, the M2P seems better, the 1" sensor notwithstanding.

I went over to Google to enable the placement of an image link in this thread. It's a good option for large files.

Thanks for your input.

I don't own a Mavic 3 yet, but I understand your frustration. As you know PS CS5 should work with most current operating systems. While I have a "subcription" to PS and LR I don't use LR, but On1 Photo Raw. O1PR with discount will cost about $80 and can be "upgaded" as desired. While similar to LR in most ways IMO it is better than LR in some ways, one being that you don't have to import images into it to work on images within it. They have a 14 day free trial. Below is the link. It might work for you and it's free to try and cheap to buy (but I think you can "rent" it like Adobe or buy the license outright). I have no relationship with O1PR at all other than being a customer.

On1 Photo Raw Trial download page

If you are at all serious about photography, you need to subscribe to the Photographers Package from Adobe. It's a great deal, and you'll always have the most updated version. Get over the stand-alone ownership thing. It's history, and simply not necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff A
If you are at all serious about photography, you need to subscribe to the Photographers Package from Adobe. It's a great deal, and you'll always have the most updated version. Get over the stand-alone ownership thing. It's history, and simply not necessary.
I'm very serious and sell quite a number of framed prints. I don't foresee the the features that have been added to both LR and PS, though quite remarkable in some instances, as being able to produce images that would increase sales.

I'm not a guy that chases the next feature in software iterations anymore than I buy a new driver every other year in expectation of lowering my handicap.

Also, I have an aversion to subscriptions and have successfully avoided them for years.

I believe if you capture a quality image in camera, older still fully functioning processing applications are sufficient to my needs. Of course, when you buy new hardware like the Mavic 3 Classic whose DNGs will not open with DxO v.2, you're stuck. You either upgrade or go elsewhere and face a new learning curve.

The developers know this.

I believe if you capture a quality image in camera, older still fully functioning processing applications are sufficient to my needs. Of course, when you buy new hardware like the Mavic 3 Classic whose DNGs will not open with DxO v.2, you're stuck. You either upgrade or go elsewhere and face a new learning curve.

The developers know this.
If you are shooting RAW with a current generation camera it will require current software in order to correctly process the file. That's true for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, etc. as well as DJI. I want the best possible output from my camera gear and old versions of the software don't know how to correctly deal with new cameras and sensors. I fully expect my cameras to take advantage of newer tech that is continuously changing. That's why Adobe and DxO are constantly updating their RAW conversion software with updated corrections for each new camera that comes out.

If the companies that make cameras froze their development to match some outdated software then I honestly have no use for their new cameras. I don't know of any camera manufacturer who will subscribe to that model.

Last edited:
So you buy a new drone with the latest file technology and run it on software that is 10 years old and wonder why? Buy any new DSLR and it’s the same situation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas