DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Horizon (Gimbal) Tilt

bracki1234

Reactions
Hi guys,

Unfortunately, I could not fly the aircraft yet due to rainy weather. That didn't hold me back though from unboxing it and setting it up. I also made some recordings indoors.
What I have noticed is that the gimbal (horizon) of my Mavic 3 tilts to the left and to the right by itself when sitting on the ground.

I have calibrated the gimbal multiple times but it still happens.

Has anyone seen this abnormality with his or her Mavic 3?
Is there a hardware problem with the gimbal or is it rather a software bug? I'm on firmware 01.00.0300 for the aircraft and firmware 04.13.0300 for the remote controller.

What do you guys think?

Here the video:

Last edited:
I would try it outdoors next to see if it still happens under the same circumstances, so just sat there whilst filming before a flight?

It was such a slow gentle tilt that its hard to tell if its weight, balance or motor related. I would certainly reach out to DJI technical support as well if the issue continues.

Hi, I tried to do the same you did. 3 test videos of 30 seconds each.

On 2 of them the gimbal was absolutely steady, but on one video it panned a little bit to the left at the beginning (red circle) for some seconds. Afterwards it was steady until the end of the video.

Mine drifts back and forth slowly as well. Going to exchange mine at best buy tomorrow. Far too expensive for gimble drift to be acceptable IMO.

What happens when you are actually flying it? If nothing, then I would say anything that happens on the floor in you living room is a non-issue. The gimbal may not be 100% rock steady when it has no movement to correct for, which it is constantly looking for. I've also never used a gimbal that was absolutely flawless in that respect.

My guess is that it does not do that when actually in use.

@CanadaDrone @Point Zero @JooB

UPDATE: I finally took it out yesterday for its maiden flight and interestingly I could no longer observe the rolling of the gimbal (horizon) once the aircraft was airborne. When I rewatched the footage, I also couldn't make out any tilting of the horizon. It seems like the problem only exists when the Mavic 3 is on the ground.

@ProStreetCamaro Make sure you fly with the aircraft first to see if the problem still persists before you return it.
It could be that the rolling or yawing of the gimbal only happens when the Mavic 3 is on the ground, just as mentioned above.

Reactions: CanadaDrone

UPDATE: I finally took it out yesterday for its maiden flight and interestingly I could no longer observe the rolling of the gimbal (horizon) once the aircraft was airborne. When I rewatched the footage, I also couldn't make out any tilting of the horizon. It seems like the problem only exists when the Mavic 3 is on the ground.

@ProStreetCamaro Make sure you fly with the aircraft first to see if the problem still persists before you return it.
It could be that the rolling or yawing of the gimbal only happens when the Mavic 3 is on the ground, just as mentioned above.

Mine does it during flight. Won't hold a level horizon. Every calibration has been done on verified level surface. Mine just won't hold a level horizon.

I pan down at 3:30. It becomes very clear there the horizon isn't level. I've had it much worse than this.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone

Glad to hear nothing is wrong with it.Thumbswayup

If you put a gimbal on a completely steady surface such as a counter or floor, the stabilization will never be pixel perfect even though nothing is moving. Gimbals are generally designed to counter movement, not to simulate a tripod on an already completely steady surface.

My Mavic 3 Cine is doing the same thing in flight. The gimbal "swims" all over the place. left and right, up and down, and tilting in the roll axis as well.
I've contacted support and they walked me through all the expected steps: firmware refresh, IMU calibration, compass calibration, gimbal auto calibration...
Their solution is to send it in for repair.
My solution is to return it, and thank God I'm still within DJI's 14 days policy.
here's some sped up footage of it happening in flight.

Reactions: SFC117

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird