DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 & Mini 3 Same RC

Kmc0929

Reactions
I have a Mini 3 with the DJI RC W/Built in Screen. If I purchase a Mavic 3 without an RC, can I use the RC I have to operate both? Obviously not at the same time, but id like to be able to swap them as needed.

I have a Mini 3 with the DJI RC W/Built in Screen. If I purchase a Mavic 3 without an RC, can I use the RC I have to operate both? Obviously not at the same time, but id like to be able to swap them as needed.
According to Google yes. I'm sure you would need all the firmware updates.

DJI's latest remote controller with a built-in display, DJI RC, is now compatible with the tech giant's flagship Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Cine drones. While the DJI RC was initially launched alongside the new Mini 3 Pro aircraft, it can now be purchased as a standalone device for $309.Jul 11, 2022
DroneDJ › 2022/07/11
DJI RC remote controller is now compatible with Mavic 3 drone - DroneDJ

Yes, but the Mavic 3 isn't sold without an RC as a retail package, but the included RC-N1 is only worth $110. Best value right now is a DJI Refurbished Mavic 3 retail box for $1639 from DJI.
Same one year warranty as new, and can also buy DJI Care on it, too!

Reactions: gspell
I tried to fly a friend’s Mini2 with my RC-N1 controller that I use for my M3, but it wouldn’t link. The message was that the app version was incompatible. I don’t know how to have 2 different version of the Fly app on the same device, but perhaps it is possible.

I tried to fly a friend’s Mini2 with my RC-N1 controller that I use for my M3, but it wouldn’t link. The message was that the app version was incompatible. I don’t know how to have 2 different version of the Fly app on the same device, but perhaps it is possible.
His Mini 2 likely needs a FW update to be compatible. Likely, you need his compatible device attached to your RC-N1, which has an older Fly version. This is why most long time flyers dedicate a device to each drone, to keep the systems sandboxed from pollution due to updates required to fly newer drones that did not exist at the time of the older drone.

Reactions: moldorf
So I tried this but it doesnt seem to work. I have a DJI RC (new one with the screen that came with my mini 3) with both a mini 3 and Mavic 3. it seems like you have to bind and unbind / pair them each time, does that sound right?

Reactions: Torque
So I tried this but it doesnt seem to work. I have a DJI RC (new one with the screen that came with my mini 3) with both a mini 3 and Mavic 3. it seems like you have to bind and unbind / pair them each time, does that sound right?
Binding and pairing are two different things. You can pair a remote with the drone anywhere without internet access. You bind an RC to your DJI account for that drone, which requires an internet connection. Only one RC can be bound to the drone on your DJI account at a time. You can only fly 5 times after pairing to an unbound RC before you will be locked out, requiring you to have an internet connection to transfer the binding to the newly paired remote by first unbinding it with the originally bound remote by pairing with it again, or flying with the originally bound controller, to prove your ownership, and to deter theft.

Use the above parameters to choose which remote you want to have bound to your account, except for the next 5 flights, which can be with either remote, by pairing between either one of the remotes and the drone, as you switch back and forth.

Best to have the primary RC bound to your account, and only use the second RC periodically up to 5 times when off the grid.

You can also switch the binding every time you change pairing, but you must also have internet access to do so.

Ok a few questions then.

What I am trying to do is use a DJI RC for two drones (not at same time). I want to be able to have the RC paired to both so depending on what I am doing I can bring either drone as necessary.

What I have here is this.

Mavic 3 W/ DJI RC-N1
Mini 3 W/ DJI RC

I want to basically dispose of the RC-N1 and use the DJI RC for both…

Another question, when you mention the “original controller” is it a problem if say; I take the N1 that came with the Mavic 3 pair it up and with the Mini 3 and sell them as a package? Then I will no longer have the “original” controller for the Mavic 3 and the “original” (RC) controller for the Mini will be the primary for the Mavic 3.

Ok a few questions then.

What I am trying to do is use a DJI RC for two drones (not at same time). I want to be able to have the RC paired to both so depending on what I am doing I can bring either drone as necessary.

What I have here is this.

Mavic 3 W/ DJI RC-N1
Mini 3 W/ DJI RC

I want to basically dispose of the RC-N1 and use the DJI RC for both…

Another question, when you mention the “original controller” is it a problem if say; I take the N1 that came with the Mavic 3 pair it up and with the Mini 3 and sell them as a package? Then I will no longer have the “original” controller for the Mavic 3 and the “original” (RC) controller for the Mini will be the primary for the Mavic 3.
As long as you make it clear in the ad it should be fine. I would sell the Mini 3 and RC-N1, then buy a RC-Pro. A little more expensive but worth every penny.

So is there any reason you cannot get rid of the original controller that came with the drone at time of purchase? Are those serials permanently linked?

So is there any reason you cannot get rid of the original controller that came with the drone at time of purchase? Are those serials permanently linked?
No I have just bought a Mavic 3 (yesterday at time of writing) with the RCN1, I activated it with the RCN1 and then bound it to my RCPro that is also bound with my Mini 3 Pro. Both drones are bound to the RCPro and show up in the device management section of the dji Fly app as being so and both with the value added service/replacement service showing as being valid.

No I have just bought a Mavic 3 (yesterday at time of writing) with the RCN1, I activated it with the RCN1 and then bound it to my RCPro that is also bound with my Mini 3 Pro. Both drones are bound to the RCPro and show up in the device management section of the dji Fly app as being so and both with the value added service/replacement service showing as being valid.
OK so is the RC Pro the only one capable of doing that (being bound and paired to two drones) or can the DJI-RC do that as well?

Reactions: Dronason
OK so is the RC Pro the only one capable of doing that (being bound and paired to two drones) or can the DJI-RC do that as well?
You should be able to bind your DJI RC to both drones as well, just like the RC Pro. I only have the RC Pro but it should work the same on the DJI RC. You need to make sure that the firmware on the drone and the RC is current for both drones, then follow the binding process for the drone that is not bound (likely your M3). When you launch DJI Fly you should see both of your drones in Profile>Device Management.

When you go to fly your drone you launch the Fly app, select the drone you want to use and the Fly app will do a quick firmware update to load the specific firmware that goes with the model that you have chosen. Note, that it will not do this if you have not changed aircraft between flights. It only does it if you change from one aircraft to another - say from a Mini 3 to a Mavic 3. This is perfectly normal and only takes a few seconds.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: torsen
You should be able to bind your DJI RC to both drones as well, just like the RC Pro. I only have the RC Pro but it should work the same on the DJI RC. You need to make sure that the firmware on the drone and the RC is current for both drones, then follow the binding process for the drone that is not bound (likely your M3). When you launch DJI Fly you should see both of your drones in Profile>Device Management.

When you go to fly your drone you launch the Fly app, select the drone you want to use and the Fly app will do a quick firmware update to load the specific firmware that goes with the model that you have chosen. Note, that it will not do this if you have not changed aircraft between flights. It only does it if you change from one aircraft to another - say from a Mini 3 to a Mavic 3. This is perfectly normal and only takes a few seconds.

Hope this helps.

Chris
I just bought an M3 with the RC N1 controller (which I never plan to use ) . Do I have to set up M3 with RC N1 that comes with the system or can I set everything up with a new RC pro that I’m going to buy. By the way I believe in a unique controller for each drone it seems to eliminate a lot of issues.

I just bought an M3 with the RC N1 controller (which I never plan to use ) . Do I have to set up M3 with RC N1 that comes with the system or can I set everything up with a new RC pro that I’m going to buy. By the way I believe in a unique controller for each drone it seems to eliminate a lot of issues.
Your M3 will already be bound to the RC N1 it came with. When you get the new RC Pro controller just follow the instructions (scan the QR code)to bind the M3 to the RC Pro controller. It's a simple process. Follow the prompts to update the firmware on the drone and the controller and you should be good to go.

As far as a unique controller for each drone, that is a personal preference but I use my RC Pro for my M3 and my Mini 3 Pro and have not had a single issue whatsoever. I purchased my Mini 3 Pro without a controller because I knew I would be using it with my RC Pro. I only need one controller for both drones.

Heck, I can even use my RC Pro to fly my Tello - if I could just get the Tello software to recognize the RC Pro's sticks that would be amazing.

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3