DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 - new FW - DJI requires GPS data?

MavicFlyer881

Reactions
Hello,

Just flew my Mavic 3 with the new updated FW, and all of a sudden my map in the lower bottom left corner is gone. When clicked on, it shows a pop up: ALLOW DJI TO ACCESS MOBILE DEVICE GPS INFO.

Anyone else seeing this? Is this new? I suppose all this GPS data is stored in the app anyhow, and likely with every internet connection, sent to DJI. But this feels like a privacy issue somehow!

Any thoughts on this? Perfect example as to why NOT to update IF it's working! Ugh.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 32
That isn't anything different than most other apps... they all needs your permission to use different phone data for the functionality they provide.

In this case it needs permission to access the GPS data to depict your controller (phone) on the app map ... nothing special, have always been like that.

ALLOW DJI TO ACCESS MOBILE DEVICE GPS INFO.

I suppose all this GPS data is stored in the app anyhow, and likely with every internet connection, sent to DJI. But this feels like a privacy issue somehow
Two things. There is a GPS receiver in your drone, and in your mobile device running the DJI app. And yes, GPS data and all sorts of other telemetry data is stored by the app on your mobile device. You can see for yourself what sorts of useful information is stored in the recorded log file by following the steps explained at: www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

There is a settings option in the DJI app, to manually or automatically sync your data to DJI's cloud service. That requires an internet connection. In the settings, you can choose never to sync your data. Or if you're really paranoid, you can simply choose to never connect your mobile device to the internet. That way you can be sure your data is never sent to DJI.

As for allowing the app to access your mobile device's GPS info, the popup map in the DJI app needs access to the device's GPS info to correctly display your local map. If you believe that's a privacy issue, you can go to your device's settings menu to choose to deny/allow any chosen app's access to your device's GPS info. But, obviously, this will limit the functionality of that app. For example, you could deny access of your favourite photography app to your phone's camera, fearing such an allowance jeopardizes your privacy. But your photo app becomes rather useless without access to the camera, eh.

Hello,

Just flew my Mavic 3 with the new updated FW, and all of a sudden my map in the lower bottom left corner is gone. When clicked on, it shows a pop up: ALLOW DJI TO ACCESS MOBILE DEVICE GPS INFO.

Anyone else seeing this? Is this new? I suppose all this GPS data is stored in the app anyhow, and likely with every internet connection, sent to DJI. But this feels like a privacy issue somehow!

Any thoughts on this? Perfect example as to why NOT to update IF it's working! Ugh.
I haven't fired up my M3 for a week or so, but I think I would just hit "authorize" button.

Hello,

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3