DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 or fake news?

Fake news : If you look at the competition you will see that they cannot possibly be going this route . They need to offer something a few steps up or they wont get us Mavic 2 users to upgrade and that would be a terrible business model , not likely.

Mavic 3 .."Please Sir, I want some more" ;)

With the upcoming Drone laws, and the beautiful but gelded bird the Mavic 2 was, Im easy on
that being real or fake

4K/60 fps, More Sensors to turn off? lol, 10 km/h faster?
Mavic Pro was a Commodore 64, Mavic 2 was a Xbox One WITH Kinect.
Not sure I want to see how restricted the 3rd generation becomes

Mavic 3 .."Please Sir, I want some more" ;)

With the upcoming Drone laws, and the beautiful but gelded bird the Mavic 2 was, Im easy on
that being real or fake

4K/60 fps, More Sensors to turn off? lol, 10 km/h faster?
Mavic Pro was a Commodore 64, Mavic 2 was a Xbox One WITH Kinect.
Not sure I want to see how restricted the 3rd generation becomes
Yea your right

I’m interested to know why you call the M 2 Pro a beautiful but gelded bird. Be gentle I’m a newbie ?

I’m interested to know why you call the M 2 Pro a beautiful but gelded bird. Be gentle I’m a newbie ?

Some corners were supposedly cut in the specs, especially on the M2P camera, that some feel were more down to marketing decisions to avoid cannibalising P4 sales than any technical limitations. However, given that P4 production appears to have been all but halted and there's still no sign of a P5, YMMV as to how credible that theory is.

(About as credible as those M3 specs, IMHO - it might be the same 1" size, but the M2P has a different sensor to the P4, so that'll bring it's own specific set of limitations).

Reactions: wendyc
Their next generation may have some detail improvements but you can bet it will either come much more locked down or they will be able to restrict you remotely as rules evolve.
If you want to fly free buy now and use a dedicated device kept offline.
Even that might not work, there is a suspicion something is inbuilt to stop flying if it can't phone home after a certain period.

Their next generation may have some detail improvements but you can bet it will either come much more locked down or they will be able to restrict you remotely as rules evolve.
If you want to fly free buy now and use a dedicated device kept offline.
Even that might not work, there is a suspicion something is inbuilt to stop flying if it can't phone home after a certain period.

Regardless of the accuracy of these rumours, I'm definitely expecting some improvements to the camera and much more invasive operational location awareness in the M3, although I doubt DJI will ever get the to point where they prevent you taking off if you can't connect to the 'Net unless forced to by legislation. Far too many people fly in mobile not-spots for that to be practical any time soon, as acknowledged by the UK government inquiries, so if you have a dedicated RC controller phone/tablet that's only ever in flight mode when operating, then other than any localised ADS-B traffic capture and logging you should be fine on the privacy front unless you're particularly obsessive about it. If they can get their digital signing act together they might start coding things so that you can't take off without a valid and reasonably current NFZ database installed though.

As for the inclusion of ADS-B stuff, that's a given, and I fully expect it to be embedded and hardwired to the point disabling it isn't going to be remotely practical for all but a very limited number of people, even if they were inclined. It's going to be a regulatory requirement in many major regions DJI sells to and it's simply going to easier to roll that out globally and be able to demonstrate to applicable regulatory bodies that it's not readily circumventable. Better still, if they can somehow put an ADS-B transmitter in now, even if it's turned off by default, then they're future-proofed; especially given some regions are even discussing making fitting ADS-B retrospective (and yes, that demonstrates a complete failure to grasp the practicailities of doing so). Personally, I think DJI is all over that not just because they know it's inevitable, but because they've been proactive about it and know it's an area they are ahead of their competition on. It doesn't matter how many tariffs there are on Chinese goods if the law says you need a given function installed and the Chinese product is the only game in town - you either pay the surcharge or you don't get to play (legally, at least).

On the sensor front, the M2P was DJI's first Hasselblad branded model and they've had some useful (and not so useful) feedback on that now, so should have developed the sensor and supporting circuitry accordingly. Factor in the continued uncertainty over what they have planned for the Phantom line and I don't think positioning the Mavic line as a general purpose creative photography tool and pushing surveyors and other professional photographic users towards the Inspire and potential "RTK" style Phantoms optimised for that kind of work is too far-fetched.

Reactions: conchman
Regardless of the accuracy of these rumours, I'm definitely expecting some improvements to the camera and much more invasive operational location awareness in the M3, although I doubt DJI will ever get the to point where they prevent you taking off if you can't connect to the 'Net unless forced to by legislation. Far too many people fly in mobile not-spots for that to be practical any time soon, as acknowledged by the UK government inquiries, so if you have a dedicated RC controller phone/tablet that's only ever in flight mode when operating, then other than any localised ADS-B traffic capture and logging you should be fine on the privacy front unless you're particularly obsessive about it. If they can get their digital signing act together they might start coding things so that you can't take off without a valid and reasonably current NFZ database installed though.

As for the inclusion of ADS-B stuff, that's a given, and I fully expect it to be embedded and hardwired to the point disabling it isn't going to be remotely practical for all but a very limited number of people, even if they were inclined. It's going to be a regulatory requirement in many major regions DJI sells to and it's simply going to easier to roll that out globally and be able to demonstrate to applicable regulatory bodies that it's not readily circumventable. Better still, if they can somehow put an ADS-B transmitter in now, even if it's turned off by default, then they're future-proofed; especially given some regions are even discussing making fitting ADS-B retrospective (and yes, that demonstrates a complete failure to grasp the practicailities of doing so). Personally, I think DJI is all over that not just because they know it's inevitable, but because they've been proactive about it and know it's an area they are ahead of their competition on. It doesn't matter how many tariffs there are on Chinese goods if the law says you need a given function installed and the Chinese product is the only game in town - you either pay the surcharge or you don't get to play (legally, at least).

On the sensor front, the M2P was DJI's first Hasselblad branded model and they've had some useful (and not so useful) feedback on that now, so should have developed the sensor and supporting circuitry accordingly. Factor in the continued uncertainty over what they have planned for the Phantom line and I don't think positioning the Mavic line as a general purpose creative photography tool and pushing surveyors and other professional photographic users towards the Inspire and potential "RTK" style Phantoms optimised for that kind of work is too far-fetched.
The Mavic 2 is clearly due for an update and I would have expected that to have come in October/November 2019, a year after what would have been the proper date for the release of the Mavic 2. The Mavic 2 launch in August 2018 was clearly a rush job to combat Autel and as such when it was launched it was lacking in some features that were available on the Mavic Pro e.g. the precision landing. Hardware wise the Mavic 2 was also lacking in some areas. For example with the Mavic Pro and the Advanced Hub with the Phantom 4 charger you can fast charge 4 batteries something that you still cannot do with the Mavic 2 unless you resort to a third party charger. I elected not to go down the Mavic 2 route and stick with the Mavic Pro Platinum but then I also have an Inspire 2. I am therefore looking forward to a Mavic 2 update coming.

Reactions: AntDX316
The Mavic 2 is clearly due for an update and I would have expected that to have come in October/November 2019, a year after what would have been the proper date for the release of the Mavic 2. The Mavic 2 launch in August 2018 was clearly a rush job to combat Autel and as such when it was launched it was lacking in some features that were available on the Mavic Pro e.g. the precision landing. Hardware wise the Mavic 2 was also lacking in some areas. For example with the Mavic Pro and the Advanced Hub with the Phantom 4 charger you can fast charge 4 batteries something that you still cannot do with the Mavic 2 unless you resort to a third party charger. I elected not to go down the Mavic 2 route and stick with the Mavic Pro Platinum but then I also have an Inspire 2. I am therefore looking forward to a Mavic 2 update coming.

They are still backordered on the shipments. No way are they making an M3 until the Skydio 2 gets released to BestBuy. Right now that is backordered to mid-next year. I got first batch and it's coming November.

They are still backordered on the shipments. No way are they making an M3 until the Skydio 2 gets released to BestBuy. Right now that is backordered to mid-next year. I got first batch and it's coming November.
To say the Skydio 2 is backordered until next year assumes that everyone that put up a fully refundable $100 deposit will convert into an $1150 to $1300+ sale when their preorder is finally available for shipment, whenever that actually turns out to be. I'd say that's a big stretch. If the first shipments, whenever they actually become available, don't deliver on all the promises, every other $100 deposit could easily request a refund when their order number comes up, and Skydio could be left holding the bag!

Example: I preordered a single Segway MAX scooter back in May, paid in full, to be included in a July delivery of the first 1000 scooters. They then opened up the fully prepaid preorders to over 10,000 more people, and pushed delivery back on the original 1000 until September. I was given three bogus UPS shipment numbers, and 5,000 scooters were allegedly shipped out, but I was told I had to wait for the second shipment! Eventually, a fourth tracking number was received, and my scooter finally showed up October 1st, three months late, long after the summer I ordered it for! In the mean time, there are still over 5,000 other purchasers demanding all their money back, because of even more delays and excuses, blaming UPS, claiming customs delays, claiming mishandling, claiming distributor screw ups.

The same scenario could even more easily happen to Skydio's meager $100, no commitment, fully refundable deposits. Those are not sales! They are only indications of potential interest.

Last edited:
Skydio 2.

Finally a drone that can do a Waypoint/Follow mission and not have a 50/50 chance of going down
Id actually never heard of it until just now, but a quick google seems show that is it's appeal.

That or it's aimed at the Gopro crowd, yes?

Reactions: Steve L Reid
Skydio 2.

Finally a drone that can do a Waypoint/Follow mission and not have a 50/50 chance of going down
Id actually never heard of it until just now, but a quick google seems show that is it's appeal.

That or it's aimed at the Gopro crowd, yes?
It's specifically designed as an action drone. It's what the Karma should have been, had GoPro not screwed it up.

To say the Skydio 2 is backordered until next year assumes that everyone that put up a fully refundable $100 deposit will convert into an $1150 to $1300+ sale when their preorder is finally available for shipment, whenever that actually turns out to be. I'd say that's a big stretch. If the first shipments, whenever they actually become available, don't deliver on all the promises, every other $100 deposit could easily request a refund when their order number comes up, and Skydio could be left holding the bag!

Example: I preordered a single Segway MAX scooter back in May, paid in full, to be included in a July delivery of the first 1000 scooters. They then opened up the fully prepaid preorders to over 10,000 more people, and pushed delivery back on the original 1000 until September. I was given three bogus UPS shipment numbers, and 5,000 scooters were allegedly shipped out, but I was told I had to wait for the second shipment! Eventually, a fourth tracking number was received, and my scooter finally showed up October 1st, three months late, long after the summer I ordered it for! In the mean time, there are still over 5,000 other purchasers demanding all their money back, because of even more delays and excuses, blaming UPS, claiming customs delays, claiming mishandling, claiming distributor screw ups.

The same scenario could even more easily happen to Skydio's meager $100, no commitment, fully refundable deposits. Those are not sales! They are only indications of potential interest.

Hopefully it doesn't crash. I assume it won't work great at night. If you can use it for indoor training, it would insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
We had all this speculation before Mavic 2 came out, in the end there was little warning but the key thing is it was considerably longer arriving than previous new models.
Quite simply the technology is now relatively mature, and for most users the Mavic 2 can't be improved enough to make updating hard to resist.

We had all this speculation before Mavic 2 came out, in the end there was little warning but the key thing is it was considerably longer arriving than previous new models.
Quite simply the technology is now relatively mature, and for most users the Mavic 2 can't be improved enough to make updating hard to resist.

True, which is why all the speculation based on past releases probably doesn't count for much - saying the M3 is "overdue" based on the previous release cycles when that cycle was already broken by the M2 is just silly. It could come any time, but hopefully that'll be "when it's ready", and not "when a competitor releases a competing product".

Frankly, it makes sense for DJI to slow down the release cycle a bit in these circumstances, and not just because it reduces the R&D pressure a bit. People are far more likely to accept an smaller incremental upgrade if they feel they've had good value from their current drone, and even more so if it's had enough time to acquire a few dints and scapes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242