DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 primary camera has lens distortion

Darkabaz

Reactions
The primary camera from my Mavic 3 has some distortion on the border and corners. On the corners i also see 'double' details... Is there a way to fix this? I contact DJI and they not gave me some helpfull information.
Why is there so much distortion on a drone from this price category? Mini 3 does have a lot less distortion.

If other Mavic 3 owners that can show that their photos or videos do not experience this issue, get DJI to either fix or replace your drone, you paid a lot for that and you should get high quality.

Reactions: danwnz
The primary camera from my Mavic 3 has some distortion on the border and corners. On the corners i also see 'double' details... Is there a way to fix this? I contact DJI and they not gave me some helpfull information.
Why is there so much distortion on a drone from this price category? Mini 3 does have a lot less distortion.
Open a repair ticket and send it in. If it's defective, it will be replaced.

Here a image. As you can see there is a lot of strange details on the corners... some look a bit double and some are just so blurry.

Yeah, I can see the out of focus on the corners, or so it seems, that image alone I think would show DJI that they need to replace the camera or the drone in a repair.

Reactions: Darkabaz
Here a image. As you can see there is a lot of strange details on the corners... some look a bit double and some are just so blurry.

Ugh. Even to my untrained eye this looks bad. It's obviously blurred in the corners. My m3's pics do NOT look like this. This is hindering you, clearly. I'm afraid you may have to send it in. Good luck. I'll be interested to see how this works out. Keep us posted.

Reactions: Darkabaz
The filename suggests that's an HDR composite image.
Is the effect due to poor stitching rather than a camera problem?
How do individual images look?

Yes this was a aeb5 hdr stitched one. Done with LR.
I also notice some serious focus issues. When tapping the screen the camera is focussing for a half of a second and then it is unsharp again. I mean i read some guys before who had the same .

For single photo the distortion is there also....

The filename suggests that's an HDR composite image.
Is the effect due to poor stitching rather than a camera problem?
How do individual images look?
Yes agreed - is this a composite from an AEB 3 or 5 shot exposure? Please advise how you shot on the Mavic and how you processed the HDR. Aligning the multiple images and compensating for camera movement between the images is critical.

Shot in AEB5 and these 5 images were stitched with Adobe lightroom. But the single photos does also have the same serious blur issues in the corners.

Last edited:
Shot in AEB5 and these 5 images were stitched with Adobe lightroom. But the single photos does also have some serious blur issues in the corners.
Sorry you are dealing with this, it's a major pain for me as well. Is it the regular Mavic 3 or the Mavic 3 Cine?

I have been going through major hoops to get a Cine version with a good main camera and I have seen similar image degradation on two drones now, a 3rd one shows up tomorrow.

Another question, on the bottom of the box there is a UPC label that will have a bar code, serial number and build date. What is the build date on yours and if you could, post a sample from the main camera as a single image, not HDR set. Also what F stop was this?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Sorry dat je hiermee te maken hebt, het is ook een grote pijn voor mij. Is het de reguliere Mavic 3 of de Mavic 3 Cine?

Ik heb grote hoepels doorlopen om een Cine-versie met een goede hoofdcamera te krijgen en ik heb vergelijkbare beeldverslechtering gezien op twee drones nu, een derde verschijnt morgen.

Nog een vraag, aan de onderkant van de doos bevindt zich een UPC-label met een streepjescode, serienummer en bouwdatum. Wat is de bouwdatum van de jouwe en als je zou kunnen, post dan een voorbeeld van de hoofdcamera als een enkele afbeelding, niet als HDR-set. En welke F-stop was dit?
Regular w/date 2021/10. F2.8 and 4:3. Auto mode on.
If this is a issue from the M3 i hope dji will fix it with fw update or repair option, otherwise i will sell it.

Reactions: KS-6
Update;
DJI wants to get the drone back for repair/replacement. I think they will send me another one. Hopefully get it back in very short time because of weekly jobs with it.

Yes this was a aeb5 hdr stitched one. Done with LR.
I also notice some serious focus issues. When tapping the screen the camera is focussing for a half of a second and then it is unsharp again. I mean i read some guys before who had the same .

For single photo the distortion is there also....

It is impossible to make a determination about this by looking at a composite, stitched image. The only way to evaluate it is to look at the individual images. It may be as simple as the images not aligning correctly which has nothing to do with the lens. I know you say that the individual files have the issue but without seeing the files it is impossible to know.

Reactions: Meta4 and GadgetGuy
I understand. I look for a non-HDR image and found one. I attach from one image both 3 sides:
center (church) (quite sharp), left (blur) and right (blur). I'm sure the lens is not 100%. Check the threes specially. And i have got an amateur eye 😄

Attachments

• 20220907_210542.jpg
    20220907_210542.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 20220907_210555.jpg
    20220907_210555.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220907_210612.jpg
    20220907_210612.jpg
    633.2 KB · Views: 39
I understand. I look for a non-HDR image and found one. I attach from one image both 3 sides:
center (church) (quite sharp), left (blur) and right (blur). I'm sure the lens is not 100%. Check the threes specially. And i have got an amateur eye 😄
That's not a particularly good image to show the distortion that you've described.
And you've chopped it into small pieces so we can't see the whole image.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nehablal0551