DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro Critical Low Battery Alert then immediate landing

cwthompson100

Reactions
I was flying my Mavic 3 today and without any other warning I got a “critical low” battery warning and it immediately landed. I didn’t receive any “low battery” warnings prior. I had no control over the drone and it immediately landed. Unfortunately in to the sea. Has anyone heard of this issue before?

I was flying my Mavic 3 today and without any other warning I got a “critical low” battery warning and it immediately landed. I didn’t receive any “low battery” warnings prior. I had no control over the drone and it immediately landed. Unfortunately in to the sea. Has anyone heard of this issue before?
Yes ... usually when flyers launch with a battery that has been sitting for some time discharging and the actual charge level was much lower than they thought..
Your recorded flight data will show if that was the case, or if there is a different explanation.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Reactions: lkunl
@cwthompson100 ,please could you clarify exactly which drone you have you have posted in the mini3 discussions forum ,but are calling your drone a mavic 3 ,so we can make sure you are in the correct forum thanks

Reactions: KLRSKIR and Starz
I had that experience with a Mavic 2 Pro.Took off with fully charged battery(charged the night before).State Farm paid.My guess was battery disconnect though I had strap around it or sudden battery failure.

A few days ago I saw a video explaining return to home scenarios concerning the Mini 3.
If the drone is relatively close-a few meters- the craft just lands at that spot

It at a moderate distance it will fly straight to the home point without elevating first and the third scenario the craft elevates to RTH height then proceeds to the home point.

Yesterday, I was using my drone about 20 feet away when suddenly I got a critically low warning and the drone started landing right where it was.

The incident described did not involve RTH

In my situation the controller suddenly (without prior warning) alerted to critical battery level and the drone immediately landed. It didn’t say RTH as it was only a few feet from me. The battery was partially depleted when I launched it “one more time“ to check something. Whatever I was doing took longer than I anticipated and I got caught with an exhausted battery. But then my experience was with the Mini 3, not Mavic. Hopefully you’ll get to the bottom of it.

Reactions: danwnz
Hopefully you’ll get to the bottom of it.
We'd need to see the recorded flight data to do that, but the OP hasn't posted that.

As pointed out in post #3, the most common cause of the kind of incident described is launching with a battery that has been discharging and is not as full as imagined.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
From my diving days, the rule was to return on board the boat with 500 PSI in the tank, or roughly 15% of your air. You start out with 3000 or 3500, depending on which system you are using. The point is this, a lot can happen getting back into the boat and that 500 PSI might just be what you need to survive. Flying is no different. I make it a point to be over my RTH or landing point with 15 to 20 % battery. Batteries are fickle things at times and I've seen percentages drop quickly in that lower range.

I had a similar issue the other day, it has happened twice now on a brand new Mavic three, each time I believe the wind picked up where the drone was flying so the time to home was recalcuated and the drone forcefully returned to home with critically low battery warning

I had a similar issue the other day, it has happened twice now on a brand new Mavic three, each time I believe the wind picked up where the drone was flying so the time to home was recalcuated and the drone forcefully returned to home with critically low battery warning
That's exactly what it's designed to do.

If you ignore the battery meter readings and put the drone into a situation where it's so low on battery capacity that it calculates that it needs to return, it will do exactly that. It's all described in the manual.

Reactions: danwnz
That's exactly what it's designed to do.

If you ignore the battery meter readings and put the drone into a situation where it's so low on battery capacity that it calculates that it needs to return, it will do exactly that. It's all described in the manual.
Yes I realised this, was just surprised at the time that it didn't give me a warning first to fly the drone back manually, battery levels were fine, then not pretty much instantly, it is good from me to learn these behaviours while practicing/learning

Yes I realised this, was just surprised at the time that it didn't give me a warning first to fly the drone back manually, battery levels were fine, then not pretty much instantly, it is good from me to learn these behaviours while practicing/learning
You can cancel the Smart Battery RTH at any time, take over control, and fly it back manually, so you can have more control over the process. Just make sure you know what you are doing!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N