DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro return to home not functioning properly

God Is Love

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I just ran into an issue with my new M3P. I set the return to home altitude to 100 ft above the home point and in another test 200 ft above the home point and in both cases the drone starts its descend few hundred feet away from the home point and even 50 ft away it is at 70 ft which is an issue. So it is ignoring my return to home altitude. So if there was an 80 ft object 50 ft away it would have ran right into it. I am sharing this is as an issue since in my M2P and Air2S the return to home does not function like this. Anyone else experiencing this?

That sounds like the new Advanced Return to Home DJI have decided to make you use, note as yet there is no option to manually switch it off & use the good old fashioned reliable RTH I emailed DJI asking why was there not an option to manually switch between the two types for safety reasons such as the one you mention, I am surrounded by pylons & cables here on all sides so using the RTH on the new Mavic 3 would end in disaster within no time, have a look at the thread regarding this here > RTH Concerns with new Mavic 3

That sounds like the new Advanced Return to Home DJI have decided to make you use, note as yet there is no option to manually switch it off & use the good old fashioned reliable RTH I emailed DJI asking why was there not an option to manually switch between the two types for safety reasons such as the one you mention, I am surrounded by pylons & cables here on all sides so using the RTH on the new Mavic 3 would end in disaster within no time, have a look at the thread regarding this here > RTH Concerns with new Mavic 3
Thank you VERY much Lasidora for your quick response. I didn't know that BUT I know now.

Thank you Slup! What you have highlighted in yellow really helped. Didn't know that.
Reading the manual should be a requirement before allowed to fly. I know it’s not possible to enforce, but there would be FAR fewer ‘fly aways’, ‘fall out of the skies’ and other issues than there are now.

And this issue is another reason why it’s best to fly home manually. Why rely on RTH unless in an emergency situation?

I mean, you’re supposed to be VLOS and know where your drone is at all times anyway. So why bother with RTH?

When anyone asks me about how hard it is to fly a drone, I always say ’it’s really easy, which is the problem with them’., I always suggest they practice flying the drone manually and close by, from all different orientations, before flying far away.

Sometimes RTH can force your hand before you know it, I was flying my MP2 locally last week on farmland sloping away from me, as I was flying a full arc, the low level sun was too strong so the MP2 went a bit further round than I anticipated, it had gone behind a large bank of trees, & RC signal was gone, RTH initiated and it was soon back in range within 10 seconds, this is a FCC hacked version so if it had been a M3 in CE mode it would have lost RC connection a bit sooner, I would not trust the new RTH so I would be a lot less worried if the old style RTH was enabled to prevent any crashes due to OA not seeing things due to low level sun or power cables as they were only 30ft above ground level where I was flying.

Reading between the lines it sounds like advanced RTH requires an RC connection. Meaning if you lose connection with the remote it will do the normal RTH. Therefore you should be able to prevent it from running into something since you have RC connection. Not sure if that is correct but that’s what I am reading into it. Can anyone confirm?

Note that in the manual it says that one must fly vertically to 7 m (~23ft) before flying horizontally to record a precision home point. I can imagine that many people only fly to 10-15 ft before flying horizontally especially if launching near a road that has power lines. This could potentially cause an issue with one of the RTH modes.

Reactions: E.151
Note that in the manual it says that one must fly vertically to 7 m (~23ft) before flying horizontally to record a precision home point. I can imagine that many people only fly to 10-15 ft before flying horizontally especially if launching near a road that has power lines. This could potentially cause an issue with one of the RTH modes.
Here is a YT video where he tested the RTH several times. he went up the 7 meters. Worked well for him.

It is impressive in this video how closely to the center of the takeoff point the M3 lands. In each case he went vertically to 7m + before going horizontally. I noted that it gave the “home point recorded” message well before 7m, so I presume it will still come home if one doesn’t go to 7m, but perhaps not as precisely. It would be good to see that also tested.

Bit late to the party as I've only just acquired a Mavic 3. RTH on two occasions failed to fly to the exact spot over a drone landing pad, descending approx 5m away. I abort RTH and manually guided it as there was long moorland grasses.
A mini 3 pro was almost precisely on the dot with RTH

Bit late to the party as I've only just acquired a Mavic 3. RTH on two occasions failed to fly to the exact spot over a drone landing pad, descending approx 5m away. I abort RTH and manually guided it as there was long moorland grasses.
A mini 3 pro was almost precisely on the dot with RTH
First, read the manual. Second, in order for precision landing to engage, you must let Home Point set then rise straight up to at least 21'.

Dear members (and Administrator),
Can you please make sure that members contributions are posted in correct forums! There is no such thing as "Mavic 3 Pro" drone!!
If you are talking about Mini 3 Pro, post it in the apropriate forum please.
Thank you

Reactions: GadgetGuy
He is probably talking about the Mavic 3. (the Pro version does not exist as far as today). Only Classic and this year Mavic 3S.

Also I recommend you watch this video In order to understand the different behavior's of RTH. This will apply to Mavic 3 but on top you will have Advance RTH that will land with a 15 degrees angle from the Home point.

Any thoughts on why DJI chose 15 degrees for advanced RTH? Why not calculate the angle from the distance and elevation and fly the most direct route? I never tested this, but thought that it flew the most direct route rather than a fixed decent angle.

Any thoughts on why DJI chose 15 degrees for advanced RTH? Why not calculate the angle from the distance and elevation and fly the most direct route? I never tested this, but thought that it flew the most direct route rather than a fixed decent angle.
Probably from a security perspective to avoid hitting any object in the trajectory.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N