DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro???

• Thread starter Deleted member 114292
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 114292

If this is true Mavic 3 will be very 'spensive.
Interesting. It does give some of the other rumors we’ve been hearing some cohesion.

Interesting. It does give some of the other rumors we’ve been hearing some cohesion.
More likely they are all guesses like so much that comes from that source.
The X7 camera (inc lens) that an Inspire 2 can carry weighs about the same as a Mavic 2.
The drone that can carry that camera or any replacement is going to have to be much larger than any Mavic that's ever been seen.

More likely they are all guesses like so much that comes from that source.
The X7 camera (inc lens) that an Inspire 2 can carry weighs about the same as a Mavic 2.
The drone that can carry that camera or any replacement is going to have to be much larger than any Mavic that's ever been seen.
True but it is fun to talk about.

The X7 lenses are Super35 which is much larger than MFT, however, I agree that you probably couldn’t have standard MFT mount lenses. But what if they make a custom mount and proprietary DJI interchangeable lenses? This is all very much wild speculation but what if you had a Phantom sized lens that were interchangeable? Besides, the standard MFT mount Olympus pancake lenses weigh next to nothing.

I’ve always noticed on MFT lenses that the actual sensor is considerably smaller than the barrel diameter of the lenses and the flange distance is much higher than on other formats like APS-C and full frame.
10B478A3-175F-4100-964D-DCEEF9D30832.jpeg
MFT
5DB48BD2-7A57-4672-B15B-6811EED299C3.jpeg
APS-C (note that full frame uses the same mount with a much larger sensor)

As just an arm chair camera engineer I think there’s room to miniaturize a MFT lens. Look at the 1” sensor on the Mavic 2 Pro compared to the lens size, the lens is barely as large as the sensor.

Again wild speculation.

Attachments

• C6F4B2E4-B49A-4030-8759-16AE9B16FB54.jpeg
    C6F4B2E4-B49A-4030-8759-16AE9B16FB54.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 68
True but it is fun to talk about.

The X7 lenses are Super35 which is much larger than MFT, however, I agree that you probably couldn’t have standard MFT mount lenses. But what if they make a custom mount and proprietary DJI interchangeable lenses? This is all very much wild speculation but what if you had a Phantom sized lens that were interchangeable? Besides, the standard MFT mount Olympus pancake lenses weigh next to nothing.

I’ve always noticed on MFT lenses that the actual sensor is considerably smaller than the barrel diameter of the lenses and the flange distance is much higher than on other formats like APS-C and full frame.
View attachment 110983
MFT
View attachment 110984
APS-C (note that full frame uses the same mount with a much larger sensor)

As just an arm chair camera engineer I think there’s room to miniaturize a MFT lens. Look at the 1” sensor on the Mavic 2 Pro compared to the lens size, the lens is barely as large as the sensor.

Again wild speculation.
Not sure why you use the term "Super35" when referring to the X7. The sensor is 23.5×15.7 mm which is basically APS-C.
It is somewhat bigger than MFT, but also somewhat smaller than FF.
I do agree that a mavic class airframe would be challenged to even handle an MFT system.

Custom interchangeable lens would be horrible. The whole idea is to allow use of many lenses - were already held hostage by DJI as it is.

I also agree with "wild speculation."

Not sure why you use the term "Super35" when referring to the X7. The sensor is 23.5×15.7 mm which is basically APS-C.
It is somewhat bigger than MFT, but also somewhat smaller than FF.
I do agree that a mavic class airframe would be challenged to even handle an MFT system.
Your right Super35 is the 16:9 crop of an APS-C sensor. I used the term Super35 because that is what DJI calls it.

APS-C/Super35 is a 1.5-1.6x crop factor where as MFT is a 2.0x crop factor so MFT is around (edit:30%) smaller than APS-C/Super35 so there is quite a bit of difference there.
Custom interchangeable lens would be horrible. The whole idea is to allow use of many lenses - were already held hostage by DJI as it is.
The X7 already uses the custom DJI DL-mount so this has essentially already happened. Other companies have adapted existing lenses to fit the DL-Mount but to my knowledge they cannot be controlled via app so they have to be focused to infinity on the ground and aperture set before take off. DJI is the only manufacturer of fully functional lenses for the X7 and nobody seems to complain about this. By all accounts the lenses DJI makes are adequate.

Even with the X5 and X5S there are only a handful of lenses that are light enough to use on that camera and even fewer can actually be controlled via the app.

As someone with an Inspire, any way to make the aircraft smaller, lighter, more portable, and faster to set up without giving up image quality would be very welcome and I’d be happy to buy lenses from DJI to make that happen as long as they are good quality.

All wild speculation.

Last edited:
My 2 cents worth, if you build a new drone (Mavic 3) you will not stuff it with current available cameras and RTK. All f this is getting smaller and less expensive. Remember that DJI bought Hasselblad for lenses it is my belief, that we will have more powerful (thus smaller batteries), lighter RTK, and a bigger CMOS for the camera in the sense of pixels/ mm2

My 2 cents worth, if you build a new drone (Mavic 3) you will not stuff it with current available cameras and RTK. All f this is getting smaller and less expensive. Remember that DJI bought Hasselblad for lenses it is my belief, that we will have more powerful (thus smaller batteries), lighter RTK, and a bigger CMOS for the camera in the sense of pixels/ mm2
I agree. The question is though smaller and lighter than the M2 or smaller and lighter than the Inspire.

I wonder... can one assume that the P4Pv2.0 will be heavily discounted or at least ran on a good sale around the MP3 release??

I think Mavic 3 will probably jump up a tier in both performance and possibly even price. It may be why the Air 2 is so capable compared to the Mavic 2 series. I almost would t recommend the Mavic 2 to anyone over the Air 2 now, unless you specifically need it for stills or very low light. The Air can replace it for most tasks.

I am sure the Mavic 3 will be a big step up from the 2Pro.

I am expecting around 40mp stills, 4K 120, 8k 30, and possibly approaching 40 minutes of flight time under ideal conditions.

I also anticipate at least a higher spec version with interchangeable lenses.

I traded my 2 pro for an Air 2 and I like it better in almost every way. In decent light the 4K video is sharper and the hdr feature is just amazing.

If this is true Mavic 3 will be very 'spensive.

Says this summer but summer is basically over.

I think there's already a pretty good price separation between the Air 2 and the 2 Pro. So if they raise the Mavic 3 prices more they're leaving a big price band for competitors, unless they plan to fill that gap themselves.

I would want better camera performance but I would not want any heavier or bigger kit than the 2 Pro.

Bigger sensor would obviously improve camera performance but would increase weight and size.

Even with 1-inch sensors, there's room for improvement as people weren't completely satisfied with the 4K output of the M2P compared to the Phantom 4. So a more powerful processor, possibly more energy-efficient so that you don't have to increase battery mass.

So likely incremental improvements if they keep same size/weight but for bigger jumps in performance, it would require increases in size and weight.

The whole point of a foldable design is that it's easy to transport and travel with.

Says this summer but summer is basically over.

I think there's already a pretty good price separation between the Air 2 and the 2 Pro. So if they raise the Mavic 3 prices more they're leaving a big price band for competitors, unless they plan to fill that gap themselves.

I would want better camera performance but I would not want any heavier or bigger kit than the 2 Pro.

Bigger sensor would obviously improve camera performance but would increase weight and size.

Even with 1-inch sensors, there's room for improvement as people weren't completely satisfied with the 4K output of the M2P compared to the Phantom 4. So a more powerful processor, possibly more energy-efficient so that you don't have to increase battery mass.

So likely incremental improvements if they keep same size/weight but for bigger jumps in performance, it would require increases in size and weight.

The whole point of a foldable design is that it's easy to transport and travel with.
Agreed. Mechanical shutter and faster processor for video would pretty much put it on par with the P4 V2.
Unlikely to see a bigger sensor. Really 20MP is quite enough for the size of the aircraft. I suppose they could drop a 24MP in just for the numbers.

I think Mavic 3 will probably jump up a tier in both performance and possibly even price. It may be why the Air 2 is so capable compared to the Mavic 2 series. I almost would t recommend the Mavic 2 to anyone over the Air 2 now, unless you specifically need it for stills or very low light. The Air can replace it for most tasks.

I am sure the Mavic 3 will be a big step up from the 2Pro.

I am expecting around 40mp stills, 4K 120, 8k 30, and possibly approaching 40 minutes of flight time under ideal conditions.

I also anticipate at least a higher spec version with interchangeable lenses.

I traded my 2 pro for an Air 2 and I like it better in almost every way. In decent light the 4K video is sharper and the hdr feature is just amazing.
I can't make up my mind whether to get a 2 pro or an Air 2. What do you think of the Fly app ? Bummer you can't livestream from it !

I can't make up my mind whether to get a 2 pro or an Air 2. What do you think of the Fly app ? Bummer you can't livestream from it !
If you’re worried about live streaming you sound like a Ma2 kind a guy.
I’m sure they will add it to the fly up soon enough.

If you’re worried about live streaming you sound like a Ma2 kind a guy.
I’m sure they will add it to the fly up soon enough.

But if not the M2 can already do it, although I don't know what social media he wants to stream to.. I have used it once in 4 years since DJI started the crap :p But to each their own :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots