DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Range test - 30,000 ft - REPORTED TO FAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post! Really disappointed by all the people bitching about VLOS in here though, this is not the place for you armchair police everyone...
This forum is not the place for people to post about things that they have done that is not legal...and then be told it is ok.... @anzacjack I guess your jab was directed at me....I am not "higher than thou" but the forum is turning into a show and tell for people doing things that don't comply with the regulations......it is losing its integrity and credibility as a place where a guy who wants to learn what is safe and legal can come and learn what is right and responsible. ...You don't seem to get it....the guys flying irresponsibly...guys in violation.... cause problems and bring the focus of the microscope of the lawmakers and FAA right down on us ....the OP was unaware that what he was doing was not sanctioned...had it not been brought to his attention, he would think it is alright to continue...what has become disappointing is that so many guys are posting about things they are doing that is not right and expect positive recognition and congratulations

I performed yesterday a range test on my Mavic 3 in sport mode with a battery that only has 1 cycle.
multiples spotters help me with this test. Thanks to my wife, daughter and friends.

The weather was perfect, 70 degrees, 1-3 Mph wind, The OccuSync3+ is incredible.
The video can be seen up to 5.1K

As you can see the battery is the limit. I may have archive another 1,000 FT but I don't want to push to much the first time without know the drone. I returned with 17% of battery left.

I need to test in normal mode but can be risky the return.

Enjoy the video !!

VERY Impressive !!! Great capability and auto functions working flawlessly !!! I like it :)

I performed yesterday a range test on my Mavic 3 in sport mode with a battery that only has 1 cycle.
multiples spotters help me with this test. Thanks to my wife, daughter and friends.

The weather was perfect, 70 degrees, 1-3 Mph wind, The OccuSync3+ is incredible.
The video can be seen up to 5.1K

As you can see the battery is the limit. I may have archive another 1,000 FT but I don't want to push to much the first time without know the drone. I returned with 17% of battery left.

I need to test in normal mode but can be risky the return.

Enjoy the video !!

Spotters? Sure you did. How the (Mod Removed Language)did they get out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MARK (LI)
This forum is not the place for people to post about things that they have done that is not legal...and then be told it is ok.... @anzacjack I guess your jab was directed at me....I am not "higher than thou" but the forum is turning into a show and tell for people doing things that don't comply with the regulations......it is losing its integrity and credibility as a place where a guy who wants to learn what is safe and legal can come and learn what is right and responsible. ...You don't seem to get it....the guys flying irresponsibly...guys in violation.... cause problems and bring the focus of the microscope of the lawmakers and FAA right down on us ....the OP was unaware that what he was doing was not sanctioned...had it not been brought to his attention, he would think it is alright to continue...what has become disappointing is that so many guys are posting about things they are doing that is not right and expect positive recognition and congratulations
Nope. I wasn’t aiming at anyone in particular. @MARK (LI) Especially not you, as you were doing what I would expect from a forum user.
I agree that the OP be pulled up on his violations. This was done and he admitted his culpability. I was aiming at everyone that then continued to pile on with their 2 cents.
I disagree that this forum is loosing its integrity.
We have moved over the years from whole threads dedicated to range with a competitive view to this to what I think is a pretty responsible and informative forum. I don’t see anywhere that someone can brag about illegal flights and not be cautioned and advised of the rules. It doesn’t happen.
I just don’t see the need for 20 people to continue to add their 2 cents when the wrong doing has been acknowledged by a person.

Last edited:
It continued, because people are still applauding the video....check out post #82...only 2 posts before yours...people responding as though it is fine as long as you have not gotten caught....and it took quite a bit of convincing for OP to accept that he was not allowed to perform as he had

Ok then. I’m not going to argue with you. You continue your police work here. I’m sure everyone commenting with approval for the flight will mend their ways.
I’d still rather see this type of thing here with clear advise on the rules (without all if the piling on) than splashes all over YouTube

Reactions: Kywon McCain
It continued, because people are still applauding the video....check out post #82...only 2 posts before yours...people responding as though it is fine as long as you have not gotten caught....and it took quite a bit of convincing for OP to accept that he was not allowed to perform as he had
Please note, the comment was fully in regard to the capability and proof of same, of the new drone model. It's longevity of flight and battery life and perfect operation of the involved safety systems. I am impressed !!!

Just to clarify again.

My intention with this video was NEVER brake the law. When I made it in my mind I was doing everything correctly by the law because the FAA language interpreting the visual observer have been changing. I talked last year with an FAA officer in Tampa and by what he explain what I was doing was right. I do not want to enter in argue of is currently right or not with you guys. For the link that someone here provide me here after read it I understand what the FAA officer explain to me is wrong. That is why I mention I am not going to repeat this kind of test again now knowing that is wrong.

I DO NOT encourage nobody to do it. My intention and is the only reason I am not deleting the video is because we can see that the technology we are paying really works and how capable is the drone.

The drone is capable to keep a strong signal and live feed. I don want us in the forum keep arguing.
I am not looking for cheer, I am just sharing experiences and test results. I do the same with other kind of tests with my drones. I appreciate all the good advice and comments. I guess the intention should be learn and keep a family environment for all of us.

Just to clarify again.

My intention with this video was NEVER brake the law. When I made it in my mind I was doing everything correctly by the law because the FAA language interpreting the visual observer have been changing. I talked last year with an FAA officer in Tampa and by what he explain what I was doing was right. I do not want to enter in argue of is currently right or not with you guys. For the link that someone here provide me here after read it I understand what the FAA officer explain to me is wrong. That is why I mention I am not going to repeat this kind of test again now knowing that is wrong.

I DO NOT encourage nobody to do it. My intention and is the only reason I am not deleting the video is because we can see that the technology we are paying really works and how capable is the drone.

The drone is capable to keep a strong signal and live feed. I don want us in the forum keep arguing.
I am not looking for cheer, I am just sharing experiences and test results. I do the same with other kind of tests with my drones. I appreciate all the good advice and comments. I guess the intention should be learn and keep a family environment for all of us.
Got it.

Reactions: zeusfl
Risky with that lake being there on the way back with a range test like that! I would want to make sure I had a decent field in front of me for emergency landing should it not be able to make it back fully. Imagine if it got about 100' shy and just dropped. I always make sure to leave extra battery/time when flying over water should something happen I have a bit of a safety net to figure out my options.
I thought the same, soon as it hit 20% battery my heart would be pounding skimming across that lake, no hope at all for a rescue mission, I think normal mode there and back (not as exciting to watch or fly) would have yielded 30% or more battery at the same point.

Predictable responses to the original post. The OP probably knew it was gonna be controversial. Even I know the rules, flying as I do a humble Mini 1 within my own property boundaries, mostly. I think the message has been sent and received, and the flight data assimilated. No need to bang on about it, either for or against.

@rehkram ...where are you upstate, NY? A lot of good places upstate in general for flying ...especially in the Fall, with the foliage...have any good videos or photos to share?

Reactions: rehkram
Yeah, I should make more time to fly. Come and drag me out of my day-to-day drudgery and I'll organize a tour of all the amazing stuff around here I see every day and think "that's a great shot". A lot of falling down buildings from the grand old days of the Erie Canal that you'd never find on your own, that would be one slightly sad subject. Could be a good project for a few of us older guys.

And I'd have a good reason to upgrade to a later Mavic, my wife would be supportive, she always is so long as I don't overdo it.

Last edited:
You were tempting me...so I checked the map....you are almost 300 miles away 🙁..would love to get some shots of the Erie Canal ...I know it has a fascinating history

Reactions: rehkram
Just to clarify again.

Fine and dandy.but if your going to do this don't broadcast it please.At least now you know it was wrong.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS