DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 receives amazing update (C1 Cert granted for EU)

leebroath

Reactions
Presume no one has seen this yet?

The DJI Mavic 3 has just been given a significant certificate that will loosen the restrictions on where you can fly the drone in the EU – and other DJI drones are likely to follow suit.

The DJI Mavic 3 has been granted the first ‘C1’ certificate for flying in the EU, which owners will be able to request via a firmware update later this year. This is big news for owners of that drone, but also an important landmark for all current and future DJI drones.

The CE Class certificates are part of new European Drone Laws that actually started in December 2020, allowing drones with the new labels (ranging from C0-C4, depending on the drone) to benefit from greater flying freedoms. Unfortunately, the standards for those certificates still hadn’t been set in 2022, which left most current drones in limbo – until now.

I think we posted at exactly the same time:

Seems a huge boost for the Mavic 3 although I'm a bit lost what that means for us in the UK, are we still following these EU rules and therefore can fly the Mavic 3 with less restrictions?

Yes for sure, only looks like EU, but I would hope UK would follow suit

No the UK is governed by CAA, EU is covered by EASA

Yes for sure, only looks like EU, but I would hope UK would follow suit

No the UK is governed by CAA, EU is covered by EASA

My understanding is that the UK is aligned with, but not led by the EASA rules. They broadly recognise the EASA certifications (C1/2/3), but have a slightly different set of dates for implementation.
As far as I read CAP 2012 - https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP2012_EU_Drone_Rules_Factsheet_V7 7.pdf - while EASA seems to have pushed back the increased freedoms with C type drones to 2024, the UK doesn't seem to have. However see later edit re the CAA not necessarily accepting the TUV certification under EASA rules.

We've also got a proposal to extend the transitional period indefinitely, on the basis that people willing to do a 1 day A2 CofC probably aren't the drone pilots the CAA need to worry about.

I bought the Mavic 3 recently on the basis of the extended transitional period allows A2 flight for the likely life of the drone. If I can fly in A1 (Without intentional overflight) then I'm over the moon with that. Especially as I feel like I got a decent bargain on a "damaged box" drone. And it means there isn't much point in buying a Mini 3 Pro

I guess we need to wait for the new firmware. And Heliguys and UAV Hub will speak to the CAA on our behalf and work out the new rules. (I suspect they'll be less than happy at the loss of the A2 CofC revenue)

Other question is will the reduced noise allowance impact the epic wind-performance on the Mavic 3

Last edited:
According to this article, the C1 mark is for drones under 900 grams.

So the M3 just fits under 900 grams? Because the Mavic 2 Pro is slightly over 900 grams.

What if you install things like extended landing gear which would raise the weigh over 900 grams?

Article notes that drones which qualify for the new EU laws are expected to be available towards the end of the year, because the new EU law goes into effect at the start of 2023.

According to this article, the C1 mark is for drones under 900 grams.

So the M3 just fits under 900 grams? Because the Mavic 2 Pro is slightly over 900 grams.

What if you install things like extended landing gear which would raise the weigh over 900 grams?

Article notes that drones which qualify for the new EU laws are expected to be available towards the end of the year, because the new EU law goes into effect at the start of 2023.
So the Mavic 3 is 899g, in the same way as the Mavic Minis are 249g. It's just so that they fit within the regulation.
DJI say that 899g is the maximum takeoff weight, and that users shouldn't add more.

DJI won't go for retrospective certification of a Mavic 2 Pro, even if the weights were allowable. So that will have to fly in A2 transitional with A2 CofC (at least for the UK)

It's taken a long time for the certification process to come together, the dates have been pushed back a few times, and I think there was an expectation that certified drones would have been available for quite some time by now. Hence the EASA regs have been pushed back, the CAA seem to favour the period of transition, ie in the UK, you can fly a C1 drone in the A1 catagory as soon as you can find a C1 sticker for it.

My take, best to wait for Heliguys and soforth to speak to the CAA/DJI and confirm the situation. (Do we need to wait for the stickers, for example?)

Last edited:
Oh yeah I wouldn't think DJI would be in a hurry to get older drones certified. They want you to buy new ones of course.

I recall reading somewhere that certifying legacy drones was difficult and unlikely, again the financial motives are not to certify products no longer being sold.

Oh yeah I wouldn't think DJI would be in a hurry to get older drones certified. They want you to buy new ones of course.

I recall reading somewhere that certifying legacy drones was difficult and unlikely, again the financial motives are not to certify products no longer being sold.
I'm a little surprised that retrospective certification is happening for the Mavic 3, but it seems they've worked out a process. Presumably it will be a case of us updating the firmware, DJI verifying that serial number has been updated, and then shipping the stickers.
I certainly think it would have been unwise to assume this would happen.

I assume the Air2/Air2s would be the only other drones getting retrospective, assuming they can be adjusted to meet the requirement. There isn't really any need for the 249g drones, as their transitional path is much easier.

I'm a little surprised that retrospective certification is happening for the Mavic 3, but it seems they've worked out a process. Presumably it will be a case of us updating the firmware, DJI verifying that serial number has been updated, and then shipping the stickers.
I certainly think it would have been unwise to assume this would happen.

I assume the Air2/Air2s would be the only other drones getting retrospective, assuming they can be adjusted to meet the requirement. There isn't really any need for the 249g drones, as their transitional path is much easier.
Or maybe they just release a successor to the Air2S, depending on how long it's been since Air 2S was released, whether it's still selling well enough, etc.

It would be very surprising if the only certified drone DJI has for this year is a pro unit costing $2000-3000. They would be limiting sales volume in the EU if they did that because more people buy lower priced drones.

The other possibility is that if there aren't too many certified drones by the end of this year, which is just 4.5 months from now, EASA may push back the date requiring certification.

Even if they don't, how much enforcement will there be, will cops be checking for the CE mark label of any and everyone flying drones? As it is, there are so many restrictions, most European cities of any size are virtually No Fly Zones, so how much worse of an infraction would it be if you flew an uncertified zone in a restricted area?

If instead you're mostly flying out in the country, away from inhabited areas, who's there to enforce compliance with the labels?

It's certainly possible a new drone is produced, but I think the Air2 is a competitive drone. Also note that DJI are the first manufacturer to get certification, there isn't much competition, but there might be pent up demand. Why move from an M2P if your M3 might get stuck in A3 in 4 months time?

As I read it, EASA has pushed back the whole C certification until 1st Jan 2024. Everything is transitional until that point.

The CAA currently reflect that C classified and transitional drones can be flying at the same time. The rules that apply depend on the drone you fly. Eg an unsticked M3 or M2P get to fly in A2 as transitional aircraft w/ A2 CofC for pilot, but a stickered M3 can fly in A1 as soon as it gets the sticker.
There was a recent decision to extend the transitional period indefinitely, on the basis that C classified aircraft hadn't gone on the market, and there was only 6 months to go.

And would agree that those registered and legitimate are unlikely to get all that much inspection. I've certainly never been asked to present my papers, but given I've always flown in A2/A3, if anybody is near enough to me to ask me for my papers when I'm flying, I've likely messed up.
A1 rules would allow for use of a drone in more congested areas where I'm more likely to be challenged.

Hmm, what are transitional drones though?

I have a Remote Pilot Identifier number issued by France and valid until mid June 2026.

It shows the logos of EASA, DGAC, DSAC and the Ministère Chargé des Transports.

It also shows an A1/A3 Open Sub Category logo.

At the same time, I registered my Mavic 2 Pro and the serial number is shown. It also has an Electronic Reporting ID.

I guess if I registered a new M3 or drone which had the compliant certificate label, they will issue a new UAS number, which I'm supposed to affix to the aircraft.

But with a valid pilot number until middle of 2026, what would be my incentive to buy a new aircraft until they have a firm date on which they enforce the new CE mark labels?

Transitional drones are drones without C type ratings, and introduced into the market before the C type ratings become (effectively) mandatory. So an M2P would be transitional. An M3 without C sticker would be transitional.

A1: No intentional overflight of people (<900g), No intentional overflight of crowds (<250g)
A2: >50m from people
A3: >150m from people

Your license is for is for A1/A3 usage. Your identifier is a personal identifier, which can be put on 1 or more drones. A1 would apply to drones <250g, A3 for drones <25kg. It's possible you can also get an extension to your license for A2 subcatagory, the specific requirements for the extension varies from country to country, but your license would cover all of europe AFAIK.

So, what's changed.
Assuming you're in France (Location is really helpful), EASA rules apply.

That means until 31 Dec 2023, the C markings don't mean anything. A M2P and M3 can both be flown in the A2 or A3 subcatagory, depending on the license you hold. As you hold an A1/3 License, you can only fly in A3 subcatagory (>150m from people).
From 1st January 2024, you could fly your CE marked drone (Currently M3, but others will follow) in the A1 subcatagory, IE no intention overflight of people, but no specific "You must stay x meters away from them".

That's my understanding of the system, having flown in both the UK and Europe (Spain), and read the latest on the EASA page as per the above link. Insurance requirements also vary from country to country.

TLDR; in france there isn't a whole lot of point upgrading from the M2P to the M3 until 1 Jan 2024 from a pure regulation point of view. You may also enjoy longer battery life, a wider field of view, even better wind resistance, a version of the DJI app which hasn't been abandoned by DJI and actually works with a new drone, etc, etc.
You may also want to consider a Mini 3 Pro, which is <249g and you could fly in the A1 category tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hmm, I wonder if A1 will let you fly in places with larger drones than those under 250 grams.

Or likely you won't be flying in central Paris or London for ANY recreational purpose. Or even smaller less crowded places like "art cities" in Italy or even a smaller city like Granada.

Only if you pay a lot to get a permit like TV show and movies production companies do.

Hmm, I wonder if A1 will let you fly in places with larger drones than those under 250 grams.

Or likely you won't be flying in central Paris or London for ANY recreational purpose. Or even smaller less crowded places like "art cities" in Italy or even a smaller city like Granada.

Only if you pay a lot to get a permit like TV show and movies production companies do.
Under EASA, yes, from 2024
Under UK CAA, yes, from the moment you get a C1 badge (Edit - if the CAA accept the TUV certification)

The image quality in good conditions on the Mini 3 Pro is also pretty acceptable even if you're fussy. The M3 shines in poor lighting conditions, higher winds, etc

Worth noting that central london and paris are likely to be mostly "no drone zones" due to the airports.

Last edited:
Update from Heliguys for those in the UK. There are questions about if the CAA will accept the German certification of the drone, or will try and get DJI to certify through a UK testing facility (which doesn't currently exist). Given it's the same set of standards, it seems nonsense to hold the whole process up

So the Mavic 3 is 899g, in the same way as the Mavic Minis are 249g. It's just so that they fit within the regulation.
DJI say that 899g is the maximum takeoff weight, and that users shouldn't add more.

Note that the Cine is slightly heavier, and would fall outside of these regs. But given it's a more advanced expected customer, it's less likely to be an issue.

DJI won't go for retrospective certification of a Mavic 2 Pro, even if the weights were allowable. So that will have to fly in A2 transitional with A2 CofC (at least for the UK)

It's taken a long time for the certification process to come together, the dates have been pushed back a few times, and I think there was an expectation that certified drones would have been available for quite some time by now. Hence the EASA regs have been pushed back, the CAA seem to favour the period of transition, ie in the UK, you can fly a C1 drone in the A1 catagory as soon as you can find a C1 sticker for it.

My take, best to wait for Heliguys and soforth to speak to the CAA/DJI and confirm the situation. (Do we need to wait for the stickers, for example?)
Mavic 3 Cine is 899g, Mavic 3 is 895 grammes, so both should be able to get C1

Reactions: KarMann
Now DJI or some other drone maker needs to come out with a certified drone which would run around $2000-2200 with the Fly More combo or something similar.

If not a certified Air 3 drone with variable aperture, basically comparable to an updated M2P at similar or lower price points.

Air 2S Fly more is $1299 so a $2000 Air 3 Fly More would still be a pretty hefty price increase. They can't hobble it though.

It would probably draw sales from people who might have bought the M3.

A M2P and M3P can both be flown in the A2 or A3 subcatagory, depending on the license you hold. As you hold an A1/3 License, you can only fly in A3 subcatagory (>150m from people).
Just a small nitpick: You probably mean M2P and M3, not M3P. Theres no Mavic 3 Pro, so M3P only fits Mini 3 Pro, which can be flown in A1 category both today and after transition period ends.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu