DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 RTH issue

Bransty

Reactions
Hi Folks,

I have a Mavic 3, and love it. The only issue I still have, is the RTH function. It always tries to land about 200 yards away from where I set off from.
When I use my Air 2, I get a homepoint updated message as soon as it takes off. It always lands within a foot or two (half a metre for Europeans) from where I set off.
The Mavic 3 doesn't give that message, and I wonder if this is the issue.
Has any other Mavic 3 owner had this issue? I can't find anything searching the forum. Is there a way of manually setting the homepoint?
All thoughts welcome!

The ongoing GPS issue for M3's resulting in a long waiting time until the HP can be recorded have been all over this & other forums for a long time now ...

Your problem is that you doesn't have a recorded HP when you get airborne & fly out ... it later gets recorded when the position accuracy is sufficient in an unknown location (those approx 200 yards away...) along the route you fly.

You need to confirm that a HP have been recorded before you take-off ... do that & your M3 will return to the position you expect.

Here for instance, you have a long thread about the issue --> The BIG GNSS (GPS) Issue -- The Constructive Thread

Hi Folks,

I have a Mavic 3, and love it. The only issue I still have, is the RTH function. It always tries to land about 200 yards away from where I set off from.
But that will be right where the drone recorded its homepoint as you flew out.

When I use my Air 2, I get a homepoint updated message as soon as it takes off. It always lands within a foot or two (half a metre for Europeans) from where I set off.
It will if you wait.
Watch the GPS icon and wait for it to change colour and turn white.

As I MUST often take off before the drone has established a home point ( from the drone's perspective the ground from where I often launch is in GPS shadow) I find it useful, once the drone has sufficient satellites to establish a home point, to either bring the drone over head and reset the home point to the drone's location or reset the homepoint to the controller's location.
The latter requires that the controller or, and more likely, the attached phone has GPS and the GPS is enabled.

Reactions: Bransty
You asked where to manually set Homepoint. See pic. When selected, choose "controller" icon on the map, or fly the drone to where you want the landing to occur and set it with the drone icon... can't get to the map without tge aircraft connected. Screenshot_20220516-065530.jpg

The ongoing GPS issue for M3's resulting in a long waiting time until the HP can be recorded have been all over this & other forums for a long time now ...

Your problem is that you doesn't have a recorded HP when you get airborne & fly out ... it later gets recorded when the position accuracy is sufficient in an unknown location (those approx 200 yards away...) along the route you fly.

You need to confirm that a HP have been recorded before you take-off ... do that & your M3 will return to the position you expect.

Here for instance, you have a long thread about the issue --> The BIG GNSS (GPS) Issue -- The Constructive Thread
Thanks for that. I did search the forums for this, but couldn't find anything. Only info about it crashing into twigs when auto returning.
Thanks again! I'll test it out this week and try your suggestion!

You asked where to manually set Homepoint. See pic. When selected, choose "controller" icon on the map, or fly the drone to where you want the landing to occur and set it with the drone icon... can't get to the map without tge aircraft connected. View attachment 148404
Thanks for this. I shall definitely give this a try this week. I've been spoiled by the immediacy of the MA2.

You asked where to manually set Homepoint. See pic. When selected, choose "controller" icon on the map, or fly the drone to where you want the landing to occur and set it with the drone icon... can't get to the map without tge aircraft connected. View attachment 148404
Thanks for this. I shall definitely give this a try this week. I've been spoiled by the immediacy of the MA2.
@Bransty Just to clarify this a bit ... yeah you can manually set or re-set the HP as described, but in order to do that you still need to have a good enough GPS lock.

So in your case ... if you hurry up with the taking off & usually goes approx 200 yards away before a HP gets recorded (as it's then the GPS accuracy is good enough) ... you still need to wait that same time, you can't manually set a HP if the GPS doesn't have a good enough accuracy yet.

You have 3 choices
  • Wait until you hear the message "the home point has been updated" then take off and happy flying
  • Set the RTH to your controller instead of the aircraft position at the moment the home point has been recorded but this method is not as precise as the aircraft GPS recording. The craft can land 20 ft off or even more depend on how good and precise is your controller device.
  • Manually move the home point in the map

Hi Folks,

Has any other Mavic 3 owner had this issue? I can't find anything searching the forum. Is there a way of manually setting the homepoint?
All thoughts welcome!
Never had a problem. Always wait for the home point to be updated before leaving. You can always reset the home point at any time, especially if you’re walking around.

As I MUST often take off before the drone has established a home point ( from the drone's perspective the ground from where I often launch is in GPS shadow) I find it useful, once the drone has sufficient satellites to establish a home point, to either bring the drone over head and reset the home point to the drone's location or reset the homepoint to the controller's location.
The latter requires that the controller or, and more likely, the attached phone has GPS and the GPS is enabled.
Cannot be done with the RC-Pro. It states you first have to turn location services on, despite the fact that they are already on. It's a known bug in the RC-Pro.

HP can't be reset to the RC location with the RC-Pro. It throws a Location Services error stating they need to be turned on, but they are already enabled.

Cannot be done with the RC-Pro. It states you first have to turn location services on, despite the fact that they are already on. It's a known bug in the RC-Pro.

I'd try again. With Mavic 3 f/w .600 and RC Pro f/w as indicated below, I am able to change the home point to the RC Pro's location without getting a location services error...

Screenshot_20220517-152231.png

Reactions: zeusfl
I'd try again. With Mavic 3 f/w .600 and RC Pro f/w as indicated below, I am able to change the home point to the RC Pro's location without getting a location services error...

View attachment 148485
That is correct. I can replicate the same process.

View attachment 148485
Good! I will try again, and report back. However, when I first tried it on .600, HP was already set some 500 feet away (from launching without a set HP), and the drone at that time was already 1500 feet away. I was then able set HP to the drone location, but not to the RC location, generating the location services error. Hopefully, just a one-off glitch, or a unique bug based upon unique circumstances that can be worked around until fixed. I just wait for the HP now. It's rarely over a minute anyway.

I can now happily confirm that whatever issues I was having with the RC-Pro not allowing the resetting of the HP to the RC location cannot be replicated under the latest 1.61 version of the Fly app, downloaded onto the RC-Pro tonight. Resetting the HP to the RC location now works as it should.

However, there is still a bug associated with it. The tiny map brought up for resetting the HP does not properly display the current HP location, if you have already reset it! It displays the prior HP, prior to the last resetting, which can be very disconcerting, if you have already reset it to another location, and think it didn't take. On the main regular map, whether full screen or minimized, it always displays the reset HP location correctly. Just be aware of this bug so you are not confused in resetting the HP. Best to reset it to the RC or the aircraft location first, and then drag it on the map, as the prior reset location may be a long way away from where you want it set, especially if you reset it to the aircraft, because it will still show the original default RC location, if you acquired a HP before launching, which may require a lot of dragging! Can't really zoom out on the tiny map, without also inadvertently moving the HP on the map. The HP resetting dialog box needs some refinement (should be updated with the most recent HP setting, not the one prior to the last resetting!) and tweaking to allow zooming out, without moving the Home Point on the map.

I can now happily confirm that whatever issues I was having with the RC-Pro not allowing the resetting of the HP to the RC location cannot be replicated under the latest 1.61 version of the Fly app, downloaded onto the RC-Pro tonight. Resetting the HP to the RC location now works as it should.

However, there is still a bug associated with it. The tiny map brought up for resetting the HP does not properly display the current HP location, if you have already reset it! It displays the prior HP, prior to the last resetting, which can be very disconcerting, if you have already reset it to another location, and think it didn't take. On the main regular map, whether full screen or minimized, it always displays the reset HP location correctly. Just be aware of this bug so you are not confused in resetting the HP. Best to reset it to the RC or the aircraft location first, and then drag it on the map, as the prior reset location may be a long way away from where you want it set, especially if you reset it to the aircraft, because it will still show the original default RC location, if you acquired a HP before launching, which may require a lot of dragging! Can't really zoom out on the tiny map, without also inadvertently moving the HP on the map. The HP resetting dialog box needs some refinement (should be updated with the most recent HP setting, not the one prior to the last resetting!) and tweaking to allow zooming out, without moving the Home Point on the map.
Does that new DJI pro controller that's included with the Mini 3 Pro work with the Mavic 3? for less than a thousand dollars you can get a drone with a much better controller than what's included with the Mavic 3 at $2200... a better bang for your buck than the Pro controller you have but I still would love to own one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242