DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 sample DNGs shot at f/5.6 and f/8

gebseng

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I have a hard time finding DNG RAW files from the DJI Mavic 3 main camera, shot at f/5.6 and f/8. Could I ask you to share some? I'd use them to assess corner sharpness.

thanks, geb​

I have done the same assessment a while back. For the main camera, you get the maximum corner sharpness at F5.6. F8 is also sharper than F2.8, but less sharp than F5.6. F5.6 is the sweat spot.

Mavic3Corner.jpeg

I have done the same assessment a while back. For the main camera, you get the maximum corner sharpness at F5.6. F8 is also sharper than F2.8, but less sharp than F5.6. F5.6 is the sweat spot.

View attachment 143733
Makes sense same on my Olympus EM-1 which is also Micro 4/3 Don't suppose you have compared to Autel Lite+ by any chance??

Honestly.... if you do some pixel peeping on the two images, F5.6 is sharper all over when compared to your F2.8.

Honestly.... if you do some pixel peeping on the two images, F5.6 is sharper all over when compared to your F2.8.

Because what you are looking at is only the corner portion of the entire image, 100% zoomed in.

Reactions: Saladshooter
I may just be old but why would you take a landscape at 2.8? Is that a drone thing? Normally, any lens performs best at two to three stops down. Back in the dark ages, I used to shoot at f/16 on my Hasselblads.

Thank you so much! Would you mind posting the center crop or the DNG for comparison?

For center crop, there is no difference in terms of sharpness between F2.8/F5.6/F8, even for pixel peepers.

I may just be old but why would you take a landscape at 2.8? Is that a drone thing? Normally, any lens performs best at two to three stops down. Back in the dark ages, I used to shoot at f/16 on my Hasselblads.
I'm assuming your Hasselblads were a much larger format sensor/film. Smaller sensors like the m4/3 on the M3 can be diffraction limited by like f/6, so shooting beyond that gives diminishing/negative returns on sharpness.

Reactions: merak75

View attachment 143733
There is some strange effect on the F5.6 photo, look at the shadows of the trees on the white roof, there is like a white and grey outline in the perimeter of the shadows, the F2.8 doesn't have that, any idea why that happened?

There is some strange effect on the F5.6 photo, look at the shadows of the trees on the white roof, there is like a white and grey outline in the perimeter of the shadows, the F2.8 doesn't have that, any idea why that happened?
Looks like a highlight recovery artifact. I'm curious if @SkywalkerFeng shot those samples as JPG or raw, and if there's any adjustments applied to them.

Looks like a highlight recovery artifact. I'm curious if @SkywalkerFeng shot those samples as JPG or raw, and if there's any adjustments applied to them.

You are correct, these are highlight recovery artifact from Lightroom post-processing. Both samples are DNG files, applied the same post-processing in Lightroom.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Victhor
I'm assuming your Hasselblads were a much larger format sensor/film. Smaller sensors like the m4/3 on the M3 can be diffraction limited by like f/6, so shooting beyond that gives diminishing/negative returns on sharpness.
I understand that. 7.1 is what I use on M43. However, my question remains, why use 2.8?

Hi everyone,

I have a hard time finding DNG RAW files from the DJI Mavic 3 main camera, shot at f/5.6 and f/8. Could I ask you to share some? I'd use them to assess corner sharpness.

thanks, geb​
f5.6 here from both Mavic 3 and Autel Lite+

Cheers

Andrew

Reactions: jeffg53
I understand that. 7.1 is what I use on M43. However, my question remains, why use 2.8?
Shutter speed considerations in low light. Hyperfocal distance on the platform is like 50 feet, and lens sharpness is so close to the stopped down performance that it's really just a question of using the aperture necessary to get the shutter/ISO you want for the shot. I don't really pay attention to what my aperture is even set to in flight.

Reactions: Greenflash
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu