DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 SDK - call to action to keep them accountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vr_driver

Reactions
Hey all,

This topic has been done before I know, but there's 2 things I'd like to bring your attention to regarding the promised SDK for the M3.

Firstly, please hit up this DJI support document and post your thoughts about the 'promised' SDK.
[Link removed by ADMIN]

Secondly, there is also a petition to sign as well, which is gaining traction.
[Link removed by ADMIN]

We must let DJI know how much we need this SDK to be released.

Unfortunately I didn't get a screen shot of the pre-August listing from June when I bought my drone, but here's the most recent set of captures outline their new timeline.

September 29 2022.
Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 15.59.41.png

November 03, 2022

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 16.01.12.png

If you're like me (and I know so many people are) who purchased it based on their public road map that an SDK would be available in August 2022, then we have to hold them accountable.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I signed the petition. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference. It is really hard to quantify "promised" however. I would say a more accurate description would be that they "alluded" to an SDK that would be forthcoming. Being in the software industry myself, I can tell you road maps are no guarantee of anything. I would also say that they really don't have a financial incentive to release this for the non-commercial drones. In other words, I would not hold my breath. Do I think they should release an SDK? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean that they will.

They're really messed up here.
The SDK *WAS* promised both pre and post launch. People bought the product based on that promise. (I was lucky, i delayed a few months due to travel so escaped).
DJI have now moved the goalposts to "not in 2022" now to "no plans".

If they'd never promised the SDK at all they might get away with it even if it is a dumb idea but they literally promised it would come and people spend lots of money based on that.

Ultimately its easy for them - the SDK already exists, it used by DJI Fly and is 95% similar to the M3 enterprise so requires little or no modification. Its a business choice not to release it and nothing more.

As it stands, on the Mavic series drones, the Mavic 2 Pro is still far more capable than the Mavic 3 Classic/Pro/Cine and likely always will be unless things change.
Like quite a few others im trying to stock up on Mavic 2 batteries and accessories to keep it going for a few more years whereas the original plan was to upgrade.

They're really messed up here.
The SDK *WAS* promised both pre and post launch. People bought the product based on that promise. (I was lucky, i delayed a few months due to travel so escaped).
DJI have now moved the goalposts to "not in 2022" now to "no plans".

If they'd never promised the SDK at all they might get away with it even if it is a dumb idea but they literally promised it would come and people spend lots of money based on that.

Ultimately its easy for them - the SDK already exists, it used by DJI Fly and is 95% similar to the M3 enterprise so requires little or no modification. Its a business choice not to release it and nothing more.

As it stands, on the Mavic series drones, the Mavic 2 Pro is still far more capable than the Mavic 3 Classic/Pro/Cine and likely always will be unless things change.
Like quite a few others im trying to stock up on Mavic 2 batteries and accessories to keep it going for a few more years whereas the original plan was to upgrade.
I agree that it is terrible from a customer standpoint, but from a business standpoint, they want to sell the enterprise versions and if they made the SDK available on the consumer versions it would surely take away from sales of the enterprise products.

Its debatable - one of the reasons they got market penetration was the features of the consumer drones.
Taking that away now and it might deter people going to DJI and using alternative brands. Certainly for photogrammetry/mapping purposes there are other options these days.

But ultimately promising something before and even after launch that caused people to invest THEN going back on that promise is a terrible way to treat customers.
I'd have been fuming if i had, as planned, upgraded to M3 Cine close to launch as a replacement for my Mavic 2 Pro. I dodged a bullet there. At the time there was nothing to suggest no SDK support and even official posts saying it was planned.

I completely understand people being disappointed, but this "hold them accountable" rhetoric seems over the top to me. I'd like to see where DJI "promised" to have the SDK available by August, and there is no guarantee at all that the SDK for the M3 is just a simple modification of the existing ones.

Sorry folks this isn't the place to air out your issues with the manufacturer. Go to the manufacturer's forum for those items.

Taken directly from our Community Guidelines:

Manufacturer/Distributor/Vendor and Customer Disputes
This community is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about manufacturers, distributors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and distributors through other means but not through our community.

THREAD CLOSED

Reactions: dirkclod
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82