DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 telephoto lens image quality comparison - Oval v.s. Round

SkywalkerFeng

Reactions
Site
www.instagram.com
Recently there has been a change in the design of the 7X telephoto lens for Mavic 3. On the surface, it seems to be just a change to the shape of the lens housing - oval (new) vs. round (old), so this should have zero impact on image quality.

Unfortunately, it is more complicated than that. One pilot in China just did a comparison shoot with two Mavic 3, the old one (with round housing), and the new one (with oval housing).

IMG_20220308_154833.jpg

The result he shared does not bode well for the owners of the old Mavic 3 (with round housing). The new one (with oval housing) produces images that looks shaper with more detail.

At first I was guessing that the image shot with the old Mavic 3 might be slightly out of focus. But he actually shot multiple scenes. The new one with oval housing always produces shaper images across the board.

Right now, I suspect DJI is not telling the truth. Besides update to the housing, there seems to be update to the lens element as well. Only that explains the differences in image quality.

ZoomCompare1.jpg

ZoomCompare2.jpg

You can download the original JPG files here.

Last edited:
This comes from a post in DJI's official user forum in China. There is also a video in that post, showing the differences in multiple images comparison.

There are currently massive amount of original Mavic 3 owners demanding product recall, in DJI's official user forum in China. DJI is trying to survive a shitstorm right now, by deleting all the new posts related to the controversy of the 7x telephoto lens change.

I just checked my recently purchased M3 (02/10/2022) and it has the oval lens. I suspect DJI will has a serious cleanup on isle 3 . . .

Reactions: Norval
This comes from a post in DJI's official user forum in China. There is also a video in that post, showing the differences in multiple images comparison.

There are currently massive amount of original Mavic 3 owners demanding product recall, in DJI's official user forum in China. DJI is trying to survive a shitstorm right now, by deleting all the new posts related to the controversy of the 7x telephoto lens change.
Cheers, probably the last thing DJI wanted with the existing raft of release issues but in some ways if I can get an oval model with that increased sharpness would make the Mavic 3 more attractive compared to the Lite+ Thanks for sharing

Just received my long delayed M3 from Amazon. It has a round tele. I haven’t even flown it yet because I’m studying YouTube’s very hard before putting it in the air
What should I do???
Dale

If it was me, I’d send it back and get the updated version.
Think of all the people that are now working with an outdated piece of equipment and what the resale value will do on the version one M2.

Last edited:
Just received my long delayed M3 from Amazon. It has a round tele. I haven’t even flown it yet because I’m studying YouTube’s very hard before putting it in the air
What should I do???
Dale
My ship date was Feb 10th, I got the oval lens. I agree with Starz and I'd send it back and explain why. Amazon won't question it. You may not have a desire to use the telephoto lens but they should have offered it to you. As you can see above there is a distinct difference in quality IMO. DJI says no difference in quality (then why did they change it?).

Reactions: db4476
M3 Tele lens.jpg
My ship date was Feb 10th, I got the oval lens. I agree with Starz and I'd send it back and explain why. Amazon won't question it. You may not have a desire to use the telephoto lens but they should have offered it to you. As you can see above there is a distinct difference in quality IMO. DJI says no difference in quality (then why did they change it?).
Here is my lens. can you guys tell me if it is oval or round? It looks oval-ish to me

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Reactions: Skywatcher2001
It is the old version, with round housing.
You know, guys, I just shot my first pano with it and I was very happy with the results. It's plainly too much trouble for me to pack it up, send it back to Amazon, and go through the new box opening, pairing, changing the serial number, DJI Refresh, etc. I spent the better part of a day getting the new one ready. I will just live with it!

Dale

Both of mine are round on the tele. And they're fine. The update at the beginning of the year fixed the softness issue.

It's a 1/2" sensor, so it's never going to be great.

You know, guys, I just shot my first pano with it and I was very happy with the results. It's plainly too much trouble for me to pack it up, send it back to Amazon, and go through the new box opening, pairing, changing the serial number, DJI Refresh, etc. I spent the better part of a day getting the new one ready. I will just live with it!

Dale
I hear you Dale . . . so . . . when can we see that pano??

I just got my M3 too, standard edition with a few extra bits. Looks like mine might have the round lens too but like @Dale D, it looks kind of oval shaped. Regardless, I agree with him, it's too much trouble to pack everything up and send it all back, and change the Refresh, change the registration with Transport Canada, etc. Plus there is no guarantee the new drone will have the new tele camera anyway until you open the package, so how many times are you willing to send it back until you get the one you want?

Chris

I just got my M3 too, standard edition with a few extra bits. Looks like mine might have the round lens too but like @Dale D, it looks kind of oval shaped. Regardless, I agree with him, it's too much trouble to pack everything up and send it all back, and change the Refresh, change the registration with Transport Canada, etc. Plus there is no guarantee the new drone will have the new tele camera anyway until you open the package, so how many times are you willing to send it back until you get the one you want?

Chris
10 times max.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike