DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 vs 3 Cine - ProRes? Flymore? Worth it?

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
Hey guys. Aussie based, so gonna say Aussie prices here from: Buy DJI Mavic 3 - DJI Store

M3 - $3099.
M3 Fly More - $4199
M3 Cine = $7199

1. I'm not quite sure where the extra $1100 value is for the fly more combo? Extra batteries only cost $289, so buying 2 extras is only $578 (and one extra battery could conceivably be enough - that's like having 3 batteries on the old one). So... $522 for some filters...? Surely Polar Pro will soon have a set for less than that...? (I know there's a little more in the combo than just batteries and filters, but... that's a price hike that doesn't seem to add up to me.

2. If I were to opt for the Cine, it comes with the DJI RC Pro included ($1529 on it's own). That's pretty **** close to an iPhone 13 Pro Max, and double the cost of a New iPad Mini. So... what am I actually getting here? Does it unlock extra features? I'd Much rather pay $5600 for the cine with a regular controller. Doesn't seem right to force me into something I think is mostly a luxury if I want the best codec...

3. ProRes 422HQ... Will this make any difference to image quality? (Change bit depth or chroma sub sampling? Any extra latitude, or less noise/artefacts?). I'm assuming so, but is it game changing? Or only noticeable if pixel peeping?

Bonus:
4. Anyone know if the Goggles work on this?

Reactions: Droniac
Hey guys. Aussie based, so gonna say Aussie prices here from: Buy DJI Mavic 3 - DJI Store

M3 - $3099.
M3 Fly More - $4199
M3 Cine = $7199

1. I'm not quite sure where the extra $1100 value is for the fly more combo? Extra batteries only cost $289, so buying 2 extras is only $578 (and one extra battery could conceivably be enough). So... $522 for some filters...? Surely Polar Pro will soon have a set for less than that...? (I know there's a little more in the combo than just batteries and filters, but... that's a price hike that doesn't seem to add up to me.

2. If I were to opt for the Cine, it comes with the DJI RC Pro included ($1529 on it's own). That's pretty **** close to an iPhone 13 Pro Max, and double the cost of a New iPad Mini. So... what am I actually getting here? Does it unlock extra features? I'd Much rather pay $5600 for the cine with a regular controller. Doesn't seem right to force me into something I think is mostly a luxury if I want the best codec...

3. ProRes 422HQ... Will this make any difference to image quality? (Change bit depth or chroma sub sampling? Any extra latitude, or less noise/artefacts?). I'm assuming so, but is it game changing? Or only noticeable if pixel peeping?

Bonus:
4. Anyone know if the Goggles work on this?
Holy Canole.

• Wow
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I had the same question about the value of the Fly-More package. The additional batteries, charger hub, filters, and propellers for $900USD don't add up! In fact, you are paying more than to cost of the individual items at retail. This is DJI math. I have long been unimpressed with DJI's customer service policies and practices. This takes the cake. They don't care they are doing it in our faces.

Reactions: sir_ian and Droniac
I had the same question about the value of the Fly-More package. The additional batteries, charger hub, filters, and propellers for $900USD don't add up! In fact, you are paying more than to cost of the individual items at retail. This is DJI math. I have long been unimpressed with DJI's customer service policies and practices. This takes the cake. They don't care they are doing it in our faces.
I'm so glad I'm not just being paranoid on this. It really doesn't add up.

This, and locking Cine (ProRes) behind an EXTRA $1500au paywall (the controller) is not fair at all.

That's 2 cash grabs. Not happy about it.

That's more than I paid for my Inspire 2 v2 bundle that included X5S camera.

Literally.

I like the Mavic Form Factor (and the weight being small means no licence required), but... spec for spec... it's not priced fairly. Them making us buy the Pro Controller to get ProRes adds $1500 to the cost for not much reason.

Here are the numbers:

Fly More Items Not Included in Base Priced Individually-
2 batteries @209 USD $418.00
3 extra pairs of props @19 USD $57.00
ND Filter set (4, 8, 16, 32) USD $179.00
Battery Charging Hub USD $89
Convertible Carrying Case USD $319
Total - $1,062.00 USD

Fly More cost ($2999) - Base cost ($2199) is $800. You save $262 USD.

With $319 USD for the Case which most will instead go with a hard case, it's best to forego the Fly More package and just purchase the items you will actually use.

The bag is 'valued' at $320 USD, that is why the fly more combo looks like such a bad value.

You can probably save $400-500 by buying your own charger, bag, and quality third party ND filters. That is the way to go in my opinion, at least with what we can see so far.

Most people probably do not need 4:2:2 ProRes. The M3 appears to be able to shoot uncompressed 4:2:2 ProRes which will use about 10GB per minute of storage space. Those who actually need it will be glad to have the option, most people will probably not take advantage of it. The Cine mode is aimed toward a very specific audience and probably not what most people are going to buy, especially sine the RC Pro is available separately.

What would really be nice is a barebones version without controller, or a basic bundle with the RC Pro. That may come later after DJI has milked all the holiday sales.

Last edited:
Here are the numbers:

Total - $1,062.00 USD

With $319 USD for the Case which most will instead go with a hard case, it's best to forego the Fly More package and just purchase the items you will actually use.

You hit the nail on the head. I have been looking hard at the options in Canada and getting ready to pull the trigger. The prices are the same at all outlets at the present time and I generally buy from Dr. Drone, who gives great service and has fast shipping.

In Canada the filters for the M3 are $199 and the *#$% bag is $329. As someone else noted, if I get an M3, it will be travelling in a good hard case, not a soft bag. I can get the stand alone M3 along with three batteries and the accessories I want for $181 Cdn (plus 15% tax) for less than the fly more kit.

Canadian prices:

1. M3 with 1 battery - $2669
2. M3 Fly More - $3639
3. M3 Cine - $6049

Price difference - M3 vs M3 Fly More - $970

The accessories I want:

- 2 batteries - $259/ea
- Props X 2 - $19
- Prop guards - $59
- Car Charger - $85
- Charging Hub - $89

Total $789

Savings: $181 - almost enough for battery #4

Unless you really have to have the soft bag and factory filters, I don't think that the Fly More is the way to go IMHO.

I am also looking at purchasing the new M3. I have the smart controller already for my M2. Is there any value with going with the Cine package? What is the difference in controllers? Better range? Nicer screen? What is the big selling feature? I have been happy with my smart controller. Is the new controller a big step up? I am trying to balance getting top quality imagery but I am not sure it is worth the money $6049 is pretty big money.

Cine supports a Apple ProRes 422 HQ, but also comes with 1TB of internal storage, versus the base model’s 8GB.

ProRes HQ is a big plus for editing high resolution video, like the 5.7k video the drone can produce. That resolution in either H.264, or H.265 will demand a very modern high powered PC to play the video without stutters and compression artifacts.

On the other hand, there are few uses for such large videos in the consumer world.

In the commercial world, when you are shooting drone footage to be combined with high end movie camera footage in making a film for Amazon or Netflix etc, it is very useful.

Here are the numbers:

Total - $1,062.00 USD

agree.

Maybe it would be good ... to wait a few weeks to see how the market behaves and if prices are maintained and whoever wants to buy the Mavic3. I think the Mavic 3 Cine is out of budget for many, unless you are professionally dedicated to video, editing and selling your projects, because not many talk about what it means to edit in Prores format, you must have a good team to do that. , a Mac is the best option I think and with good capabilities so that you fall short, the ProRes license is for life ..? .. or lasts for a few years.?… who has more information about that? Inspire 2 uses those codecs but you have to buy the licenses for that, perhaps in the value of the Mavic 3 cinema the ProRes license is included in the value and there you understand how expensive it is. I think that for those of us who do not dedicate ourselves professionally and are fans and enthusiasts of aerial recordings, the basic Mavic 3 and buying some additional ones is the best option to avoid making the acquisition of this new equipment so expensive, you have to be patient ... I think .

The bag is 'valued' at $320 USD, that is why the fly more combo looks like such a bad value.

You can probably save $400-500 by buying your own charger, bag, and quality third party ND filters. That is the way to go in my opinion, at least with what we can see so far.

Most people probably do not need 4:2:2 ProRes. The M3 appears to be able to shoot uncompressed 4:2:2 ProRes which will use about 10GB per minute of storage space. Those who actually need it will be glad to have the option, most people will probably not take advantage of it. The Cine mode is aimed toward a very specific audience and probably not what most people are going to buy, especially sine the RC Pro is available separately.

What would really be nice is a barebones version without controller, or a basic bundle with the RC Pro. That may come later after DJI has milked all the holiday sales.

On prores subject
5TB USB drive is $100, will store 8 hours of prores video. So you pay $12.5 to store 1 hour of prores video
1TB internal will store 100mins of prores video.

just some numbers as I wanted to know that prores is not for me

Last edited:
Well.
You can buy the drone, 2 extra batteries, remote control + and 1TB Micro SD card, and save money.
What do you miss??
The Apple Pro Res, multi-charger, and a bag.
drone.jpg

Reactions: Thanohano44
If you remove the DJI RC Pro and the SD Card you save much more.

I like to use CPL because I fly over water all the time. Ideally ND+CPL - so I need aftermarket filters anyway, so for me personally the stock ND filters may not be worth 179

I like to use CPL because I fly over water all the time. Ideally ND+CPL - so I need aftermarket filters anyway, so for me personally the stock ND filters may not be worth 179
True, I forget the filters.

On prores subject
5TB USB drive is $100, will store 8 hours of prores video. So you pay $12.5 to store 1 hour of prores video
1TB internal will store 100mins of prores video.

just some numbers as I wanted to know that prores is not for me

ProRes is not for most people. Some professionals demand it and some agencies require it, but for the vast majority of users, especially casual ones or hobbyists, it will not be something that is needed. A big part of the M3 Cine's cost is simply the ProRes license, which DJI also sells as a standalone product for the Inspire2 line for $500 USD. Most people are going to be much better served by spending that money on a couple extra batteries or something instead, but it's nice the option is available.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo