DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 vs Classic- Other considerations

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I am pretty much committed to buying one of the Mavic 3 variants this spring, maybe sooner (?). When I breached the question in another thread some folks said that I should be buying a refurb Mavic 3 vs the Classic. That sounded reasonable, but then I came across some information that pushed me to the Classic: The Care/Refresh costs.

If the difference between the Mavic 3 and Classic is only the 7x lens then it might need to be assessed how important that 7x lens is, because there is additional up-front cos for simply having that extra 7x lens. But additionally we end up paying an extra $140 premium for the care refresh premium, and more for standard repair deductibles, but over $200 more for fly-away deductible. All these "stacked" extra charges just for the privilege of having the 7x lens????

I've cut and pasted the care refresh costs and deductibles below for your convenience. To me they are eye opening. The one other thing I just learned is that you pay the premium which can take you out to 2 years, but you cannot renew it beyond 2 years. So if you're careful and don't have any crashes leading to a repair, we've paid all this money which DJI just puts in their pocket and your out on your own after 2 years with no ability to renew beyond the 2 years. What a racket. It's got to be a huge margin builder. Those Chinese bean counters have it all figured out.

At least for me the 7x lens isn't that important.
For those of you who have a Mavic 3, how often do you actually use the 7x lens????

DJI Care Refresh 2-Year Plan (DJI Mavic 3 Classic)
USD $259

1670083535214.png

DJI Care Refresh 2-Year Plan (DJI Mavic 3)
USD $399
1670083614098.png

If the difference between the Mavic 3 and Classic is only the 7x lens then it might need to be assessed how important that 7x lens is
The other difference is the Mavic 3 Classic does not have the gimbal lock feature. That allows the gimbal to automatically lock in place when the drone is powered off.

Reactions: ROne21
I hate to do this , but I got the Mavic 3 Classic as the back up for the Mavic 3 and Its a great feeling , its so great that I forgot which drone I had up in the air and I got stuck in the 3 zoom . If you have never had the 7x zoom your not going to miss it.

The day is going to come when that UFO is in the clouds and that 3 zoom is going to haunt you.
Just saying .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Clouds : Look for UFO's in the Rain

The other difference is the Mavic 3 Classic does not have the gimbal lock feature. That allows the gimbal to automatically lock in place when the drone is powered off.
I don't see gimbal lock as a big deal. The Mavic 2 Pro didn't have that either and never presented a problem. I have to presume that the gimbal lock feature was necessary with the dual lens camera while not necessary with the single lens. The follow up question would be, does having the gimbal locked in place when the drone is powered off make it more susceptible to damage, not being able to move it something accidentally bumps into it?

While we're tangentially talking about lenses and cameras and gimbals, what perplexes me is why DJI hasn't come out with a drone (especially in the M3 price range) with interchangeable cameras or camera/gimbals that can be swapped in and out. Imagine the versatility with the M2 series if you could have a Mavic 2 with the variable aperture single focal length lens, but then be able to swap in the fixed aperture zoom lens????

While we're tangentially talking about lenses and cameras and gimbals, what perplexes me is why DJI hasn't come out with a drone (especially in the M3 price range) with interchangeable cameras or camera/gimbals that can be swapped in and out. Imagine the versatility with the M2 series if you could have a Mavic 2 with the variable aperture single focal length lens, but then be able to swap in the fixed aperture zoom lens????
Thats the kind of Fantasy talk at the DJI meetings that gets the entire Board Fired. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

I don't see gimbal lock as a big deal
Like all of the features DJI offers, the importance can very depending on the pilot.

I have to presume that the gimbal lock feature was necessary with the dual lens camera while not necessary with the single lens
I'm not sure it's necessary for any drone since the gimbal can also be locked by attaching some kind of gimbal lock accessory to the drone. It's a nice to have feature I think.

does having the gimbal locked in place when the drone is powered off make it more susceptible to damage, not being able to move it something accidentally bumps into it?
I don't think it was meant to withstand things bumping into it as it will unlock if you apply a bit of force to it.

While we're tangentially talking about lenses and cameras and gimbals, what perplexes me is why DJI hasn't come out with a drone (especially in the M3 price range) with interchangeable cameras or camera/gimbals that can be swapped in and out
It probably comes down to customer demand and what customers are willing to pay. And I'm not sure offering a Mavic 3 with two swappable cameras would be cheaper than buying the existing Mavic 3 with the dual camera. If that's the case, it seems offering such a setup would not be beneficial as those customers who need the zoom capability would only buy the dual camera.

I hate to do this , but I got the Mavic 3 Classic as the back up for the Mavic 3 and Its a great feeling , its so great that I forgot which drone I had up in the air and I got stuck in the 3 zoom . If you have never had the 7x zoom your not going to miss it.

The day is going to come when that UFO is in the clouds and that 3 zoom is going to haunt you.
Just saying .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Clouds : Look for UFO's in the Rain
Thanks. From what I've seen the 7x zoom is simply "lacking" and to me has very limited use. In the Mavic 2 series it appears based on the number of posts on the forum that the Mavic 2 pro sold exponentially better than the Mavic 2 zoom. I could be wrong- but I don't think so.

In my case I already have both the DJI RC and RCN1 controllers. So why should I pay for a drone that requires the extra money for the included controller? $1469 at B&H with no tax and free shipping? I've got a $300 credit there and can get the M3C for only a little more out of pocket than I paid for my Mini 3 pro with fly more.

The other good news/bad news thing is that the M3 batteries are $210 each, more than the Mini 3 fly more combo. Can you say "huge margin item"? I bought the Mini 3 FMC with extended batteries and it is rare that I need to change batteries when our flying. I suspect that it would be similar with the M3C and the extended life battery that comes standard with M3's. For the money I'd rather have the extra battery rather than the 7x lens.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Reactions: GadgetGuy

The gimbals on these commercial drones are not very powerful and require fairly precise balancing to operate correctly. There is barely enough extra power to add an ND filter in some cases. Handheld gimbals for small cameras such as point-and-shoots, have substantially more power and are much bigger and heavier. Below is a 'small' gimbal for something like an RX 100 or LX10.

I also think DJI is very keen on keeping certain aspects of their drones very much in a 'class' so as to expand their line-up and increase profit.

GimbalDrone.jpg

Cloud City Drones in RI has M3 batteries for 199. Free shipping on orders over 350. No if you live out of state. They are a DJI authorized reseller. I know it's not a huge savings, but I saved enough to buy a cheeseburger :)

• Haha

For those of you who have a Mavic 3, how often do you actually use the 7x lens????

For me, it's pretty much every single flight. Most of the time I am using it to take photos along with the wide angle lens but if I am not using it for photos, I am using it to explore and search for items or locations to fly to, to photograph. I find it extremely useful for my purposes.

Sounds to me like you have already decided on the Mavic 3 Classic based on what you have been posting.

Chris

Last edited:
If the difference between the Mavic 3 and Classic is only the 7x lens then it might need to be assessed how important that 7x lens is, because there is additional up-front cos for simply having that extra 7x lens. But additionally we end up paying an extra $140 premium for the care refresh premium, and more for standard repair deductibles, but over $200 more for fly-away deductible. All these "stacked" extra charges just for the privilege of having the 7x lens????
I'm not trying to talk you into any specific direction. You have to do what's best for you. I'm just not coming up with quite the same math and quite the same analysis as you are

for me, I have no M3 components....so I'd be starting from scratch. Which means that the cost of just the drone is irrelevant. I'd be getting the FMC so I'd have extra batteries, the controller, charging hub, and accessories

the DJI refurbished Mavic 3 FMC is $2279. That includes drone+3 batteries+RC-N1+charging hub+65W charger+carry bag+accessories. BUT, that also includes a set of 4 ND filters and that has to be part of the Classic calculation.

so then the comparable FMC for the Classic is:

$1599 - drone+battery+RC-N1+accessories
$649 - FMC
$129 - ND Filter set

$2377....meaning that an equivalent package of the Classic actually costs $98 more than the the Mavic 3.

which means, that if you go for a 1-year care refresh plan, you can get the Mavic 3 for less than the M3 Classic. And if you go for the 2-year care refresh plan, you only pay $42 dollars more for the Mavic 3

as far as replacement costs, sure, the Mavic 3 is more expensive. But it's more of a drone. And when it comes to insurance and replacement, you ALWAYS pay more for coverage on a more valuable asset. So I don't really register that factor as a relevant gauge in my calculations.

personally, I think either the Classic is priced too high, or the refurbished Mavic 3 is priced too low. And I've talked to enough people that I know, for me, that 7X camera will have a lot of utility and value. So then, getting the Mavic 3 FMC+2 year care refresh for only $42 more than the M3 Classic is an easy call. That 7X lens is worth a lot more than $42

Last edited:
I'm not trying to talk you into any specific direction. You have to do what's best for you. I'm just not coming up with quite the same math and quite the same analysis as you are

for me, I have no M3 components....so I'd be starting from scratch. Which means that the cost of just the drone is irrelevant. I'd be getting the FMC so I'd have extra batteries, the controller, charging hub, and accessories

the DJI refurbished Mavic 3 FMC is $2279. That includes drone+3 batteries+RC-N1+charging hub+65W charger+carry bag+accessories. BUT, that also includes a set of 4 ND filters and that has to be part of the Classic calculation.

so then the comparable FMC for the Classic is:

$1599 - drone+battery+RC-N1+accessories
$649 - FMC
$129 - ND Filter set

$2377....meaning that an equivalent package of the Classic actually costs $98 more than the the Mavic 3.

which means, that if you go for a 1-year care refresh plan, you can get the Mavic 3 for less than the M3 Classic. And if you go for the 2-year care refresh plan, you only pay $42 dollars more for the Mavic 3

as far as replacement costs, sure, the Mavic 3 is more expensive. But it's more of a drone. And when it comes to insurance and replacement, you ALWAYS pay more for coverage on a more valuable asset. So I don't really register that factor as a relevant gauge in my calculations.

personally, I think either the Classic is priced too high, or the refurbished Mavic 3 is priced too low. And I've talked to enough people that I know, for me, that 7X camera will have a lot of utility and value. So then, getting the Mavic 3 FMC+2 year care refresh for only $42 more than the M3 Classic is an easy call. That 7X lens is worth a lot more than $42
At this point, I’m not planning on getting all the extra accessories and bells and whistles. The variable aperture reduces the need for any filters. The extended battery almost wouldn’t require a second battery let alone a third however, I will buy one more spare battery. There are better charging options than that which comes in the FMC kit.

Also, for me, not needing a controller. This is what I have to buy in the initial package. Additionally, buying from B&H saves me $170 in sales tax which is almost as much as the cost of a second battery. If they sold refurbished units, which they do not sell, it might put a different light on the picture. But buying a refurb from DJI or other retailers will add about $180 to the up front cost. I will probably buy the 2yr care refresh package from DJI which adds a substantial amount to the initial purchase.The M3’s C/R cost is significantly more for the M3C as are the deductibles.

So for me it is a bit more complicated a) having controllers. b) a full sale tax savings. c) having a $300 credit on the books at B&H. d) cost of C/R premiums.

I thought I had made up my mind and decided not to upgrade my Mavic 2 but get additional new batteries. But I have reversed course with the M3C pricing and packaging. The original Mavic 3 was and is still a horrible value unless I buy a refurb. But then I lose the tax advantage. And for what? A 7x lens that costs more up front plus $140 in C/R premiums with higher deductibles should I have an incident? The point of this thread that I started was to point out that the OVER-ALL difference in cost between the standard Mavic 3 and the classic overall is quite a bit more FOR ME than it appears on the surface and I thought that other people might want to understand some of the differences in costs beyond the price of the drone that might be important in considering which one to purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
I am pretty much committed to buying one of the Mavic 3 variants this spring, maybe sooner (?). When I breached the question in another thread some folks said that I should be buying a refurb Mavic 3 vs the Classic. That sounded reasonable, but then I came across some information that pushed me to the Classic: The Care/Refresh costs.

I've cut and pasted the care refresh costs and deductibles below for your convenience. To me they are eye opening. The one other thing I just learned is that you pay the premium which can take you out to 2 years, but you cannot renew it beyond 2 years. So if you're careful and don't have any crashes leading to a repair, we've paid all this money which DJI just puts in their pocket and your out on your own after 2 years with no ability to renew beyond the 2 years. What a racket. It's got to be a huge margin builder. Those Chinese bean counters have it all figured out.

USD $259

View attachment 157867

USD $399
View attachment 157868
It's rare I use the 7x lens when I'm flying. Occasionally Ill use it just because it's there but not for serious photography (which is what I primarily use my Mavic 3 for). It does give you some options for capturing different effects when using the drone for videography.

The only ones downplaying the usefulness of the 7x telephoto lens on the Mavic 3 are those who have never used it. I have yet to hear from anyone who owns the Mavic 3 that doesn't find value in the 7x telephoto, and none would ever settle for the Mavic 3 Classic instead, when the difference between a Mavic 3 Refurb at $1569 from DJI on eBay and a new Mavic 3 Classic with the RC-N1 is less than $40!

USD $259

View attachment 157867

USD $399
View attachment 157868
You’re going to have to decide personally whether the telephoto lens is important to you. I use mine daily reporting on progress on a construction site. It allows me to ‘stand back’ and cover subjects that the standard lens might cause me to be too close - and potentially distracting to workers. The quality is good, though colour matching is occasionally a challenge - the telephoto does not benefit from Hasselblad’s colour processing. If you look at your choice in a different way, I moved up from a Mavic 2 Pro. If the Classic had been the next option, I doubt that I would have made the change. The lens choice and flight time were the big factors for me

This locking feature is of marginal value. If you are locked and the gimbal gets the slightest touch such as when putting it into the storage muzzle it unlocks. IMHO the storage muzzle protects the gimbal locked or unlocked.

Reactions: vindibona1
The only ones downplaying the usefulness of the 7x telephoto lens on the Mavic 3 are those who have never used it. I have yet to hear from anyone who owns the Mavic 3 that doesn't find value in the 7x telephoto, and none would ever settle for the Mavic 3 Classic instead, when the difference between a Mavic 3 Refurb at $1569 from DJI on eBay and a new Mavic 3 Classic with the RC-N1 is less than $40!
I have the Mavic 3 and rarely use my zoom. I have used it once or twice as an explore tool, but never to film. My regret is not knowing that there would be an Enterprise version that would have an SDK. I would likely have bought that instead. The best feature of my Mavic 3 is the long battery life, which exists for the Classic. The lack of an SDK has turned it from a prosumer drone to a consumer drone as far as I am concerned.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair