DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 vs DJI Air 2s Complete Comparison ( is the upgrade worth it?)

PaulArcher

Reactions
Hi guys,

I took some time to make a comparison between the specs and features of the new Mavic 3 and the DJI Air 2s. I wrote an article over here:
Mavic 3 vs DJI Air 2s Complete Comparison

My honest opinion is that most people, including the ones doing professional work, youtube or promotion videos don't need more than the Air 2s.
However the Mavic 3 is suitable for most cinematographers.

What's your take on it?

Hi guys,

I took some time to make a comparison between the specs and features of the new Mavic 3 and the DJI Air 2s. I wrote an article over here:

My honest opinion is that most people, including the ones doing professional work, youtube or promotion videos don't need more than the Air 2s.

What's your take on it?
I think you're mostly right. The Air2s is very formidable, especially in it's price range. To be honest, the only thing really lacking in the Air2s is a variable aperture. I'm sure that was omitted intentionally for many reasons, mostly, IMO, not to compete with the M2P and what I'm sure was on the design table, the M3. Does the M3 have SMOOTH zoom capability (until you have to stop recording and change lens selection)? Imagine an Air2s with the M2Z optical zoom capability!

One would think that for $3000-$5000 a removable gimbal would appropriate. While it's true it would be "suitable" for cinematographers, I would presume that at that level of needed quality the M3 would be a backup drone or something when light travel is necessary. The lens system just seems to clumsy for what it is, especially for lack of additional controls on the controller. No zoom scroll wheel like the M2Z... Whassup with that??? So (I presume) you have to go to your phone for zoom functions. Can you zoom smoothly (like the M2Z or even Air2s) or is it "step zoom"?

Again, I can't believe that DJI wants so much more for the basic M3 yet provides the most basic controller it makes. It makes no sense to me whatsoever that in producing what they're billing as a "major upgrade" (for major price jump), the only excuse to use this existing controller that they use on their cheapest drones is to greatly reduce manufacturing costs while they raise prices quite a bit more than the new hardware and features would suggest. You have to spend $5k to get a better controller, which you can't even buy ala carte. Major turn-off IMO. I hope the obstacle avoidance system is better than on the M2 or A2s to add a bit more value to what I think is an over-priced drone. As always, JMO.

I think those of us that want the drone for better photos are going to be happy with the 4 x zoom and the slow motion 120 frames and the 30 minute solid flight time along with the 100 Pano and the wind resistance is enough to warrant the exchange .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

One is a mid-level Consumer Drone and the other is a lower-end Prosumer or Professional drone. There are so many variables that (to me), make these types of discussions superfluous. I think a lot of pilots who want a Mavic 3, want it more for the sake of having such a drone rather than being at a point in their profession, that they need 5K 10 bit Pro-res footage.

The Mavic 3 can't compete with the Air 2's price, and the Air 2 can't compete with the Mavic 3's imagery, they are in different categories and are not direct competitors to one another as far as I am concerned.

I think you're mostly right. The Air2s is very formidable, especially in it's price range. To be honest, the only thing really lacking in the Air2s is a variable aperture. I'm sure that was omitted intentionally for many reasons, mostly, IMO, not to compete with the M2P and what I'm sure was on the design table, the M3. Does the M3 have SMOOTH zoom capability (until you have to stop recording and change lens selection)? Imagine an Air2s with the M2Z optical zoom capability!

One would think that for $3000-$5000 a removable gimbal would appropriate. While it's true it would be "suitable" for cinematographers, I would presume that at that level of needed quality the M3 would be a backup drone or something when light travel is necessary. The lens system just seems to clumsy for what it is, especially for lack of additional controls on the controller. No zoom scroll wheel like the M2Z... Whassup with that??? So (I presume) you have to go to your phone for zoom functions. Can you zoom smoothly (like the M2Z or even Air2s) or is it "step zoom"?

Again, I can't believe that DJI wants so much more for the basic M3 yet provides the most basic controller it makes. It makes no sense to me whatsoever that in producing what they're billing as a "major upgrade" (for major price jump), the only excuse to use this existing controller that they use on their cheapest drones is to greatly reduce manufacturing costs while they raise prices quite a bit more than the new hardware and features would suggest. You have to spend $5k to get a better controller, which you can't even buy ala carte. Major turn-off IMO. I hope the obstacle avoidance system is better than on the M2 or A2s to add a bit more value to what I think is an over-priced drone. As always, JMO.
I think some people would be able to make some serious profit if they bought a couple of the Cine models, sold the body with the normal controller, and sold the Smart Controller separately.

Reactions: koonley
I think some people would be able to make some serious profit if they bought a couple of the Cine models, sold the body with the normal controller, and sold the Smart Controller separately.
Interesting concept. How would you break down the math?

Interesting concept. How would you break down the math?
I mean, I'm sure there are more than a few people who would like to get the Cine model without the Smart Controller and for a bit less, and I'm sure there are some other people who would like the normal model with the Smart Controller. Therefore, you can sort of switch it up. I personally would think about $4,500 or so for the Cine model without the smart controller, and maybe $4,000 or so for the normal model with the smart controller. Just rough prices but about what I'd do.

Reactions: Ty Pilot

For the price, smart controller should have been included in fly more combo in my opinion.

personally i dont see any point or reason to compare any of the models in the Mavic line up
DJI bring out what they think that the public want ,and at a,price that reflects the particular attributes and features ,that certain groups in the drone flying community are asking for
if a particular Mavic version floats your boat ,on price,and specs ,then make that purchase

Hi guys,

What's your take on it?
Not worth considering until post January 2022.

Honestly, having lived in China for two years recently, I think the Mavic 3 (especially the Cine version) is perhaps aimed at the domestic market more than the international market. Why do I say this?

Well, Western customers tend to be value conscious, want the best bang for their buck and don't spend more than they need to to accomplish whatever they want to achieve. However, in China, a fancy drone is a status symbol just like a designer watch or nice car.

I joined a DJI drone club in Dongguan, a city near Shenzhen, and 90% of the members had Mavic 2 Pros, even though they were almost all amateur hobbyists. Air 2s were the smallest and cheapest drone anyone brought with them. Once, a middle aged guy asked me some questions about drones inside a DJI shop, he was looking to buy his first drone, I recommended him the Air 2 (this was before the Air 2S and Mini 2 were released) based on his requirements. He listened to all my points and immediately went to buy a Mavic 2 Pro regardless. Why? Because the Air 2 was too cheap for a man of his station. (He didn't say that, I presumed).

I think DJI realized that they can exploit the Chinese habit for chasing status symbols and luxury goods by rebranding the Mavic line as a prestige item that is intentionally overpriced so that poor plebs cannot afford it. This would explain why they are keen to remove the "Mavic" from cheaper drones like the Mini 2 and Air 2S.

For those who want good value for money, the Air 2S and Mini 2 is still very competitive. But now, with the Mavic 3, they got the equivalent of an Apple product for those with cash to spare and the need to have the latest and best of everything.

Honestly, having lived in China for two years recently, I think the Mavic 3 (especially the Cine version) is perhaps aimed at the domestic market more than the international market. Why do I say this?

Well, Western customers tend to be value conscious, want the best bang for their buck and don't spend more than they need to to accomplish whatever they want to achieve. However, in China, a fancy drone is a status symbol just like a designer watch or nice car.

I joined a DJI drone club in Dongguan, a city near Shenzhen, and 90% of the members had Mavic 2 Pros, even though they were almost all amateur hobbyists. Air 2s were the smallest and cheapest drone anyone brought with them. Once, a middle aged guy asked me some questions about drones inside a DJI shop, he was looking to buy his first drone, I recommended him the Air 2 (this was before the Air 2S and Mini 2 were released) based on his requirements. He listened to all my points and immediately went to buy a Mavic 2 Pro regardless. Why? Because the Air 2 was too cheap for a man of his station. (He didn't say that, I presumed).

I think DJI realized that they can exploit the Chinese habit for chasing status symbols and luxury goods by rebranding the Mavic line as a prestige item that is intentionally overpriced so that poor plebs cannot afford it. This would explain why they are keen to remove the "Mavic" from cheaper drones like the Mini 2 and Air 2S.

For those who want good value for money, the Air 2S and Mini 2 is still very competitive. But now, with the Mavic 3, they got the equivalent of an Apple product for those with cash to spare and the need to have the latest and best of everything.
That a super interesting insight you have there. I quite enjoyed the story, while at the same time feeling a bit sad for some reason lol.

Honestly, that makes sense. I don't see how 1TB of internal storage, a smart controller, and 4 extra filters cost $2,000 extra. I mean, yeah, there's also the ProRes capability but tbh, I don't really understand that anyway.

Air2 S Drone Only: $999.00
Mavic 3 Drone Only: $2,199.00

Air2 S FMB: $1,299.00
Mavic 3 FMB: $2,999.00

w/Smart Controller for the Air 2s and RC Pro for the Mavic 3.

Air2 S: $1,799.00
Mavic 3: $4,198.00

We won't even talk about the Mavic 3 Cine package which includes the controller for $4999.00. IMO Apple ProRes is pointless in a consumer/prosumer drone.

Do the added features of the 3 justify the add $1,200.00 cost? Not even close. The fact the RC Pro controller costs $100 less the Air2 S FMB is ludicris.

Half of the features don't even work on the mavic 3 right now. Not trying to sound jaded but the 3 sounds like it was released half baked at the price not in any way justified by its features.

I bought the Air2 S FMB recently and am waiting for the Smart Controller v2. Using my 12 Pro Max in the meantime and I am very happy. I love FPV in Cine mode.

BUT...in the end I agree with Old Man Mavic. Spend your money on whatever you want if you think it's worth it. I just don't for the 3.

Hi guys,

What's your take on it?
There is no comparing a 1” sensor to a 4/3rds sensor. You can crop M3 video 50% and end up with virtually the same thing as full size A2s video.

here is no comparing a 1” sensor to a 4/3rds sensor. You can crop M3 video 50% and end up with virtually the same thing as full size A2s video.
This is flawed info.... given that both the 1" sensor and the 4/3 sensor on the Mavic 3 / Air 2s are 5K+, the difference between two images produced from the drones will come down to the quality of the sensor, the light gathering ability of the larger pixels in the 4/3 camera and the optics.

The M3 is likely to produce a better image when cropped than the Air 2s but it is not simply because it has a 4/3 sensor... it will depend on the overall quality of the camera.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato