DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 What is still coming may change your Mind !

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Lets keep in mind that many a sole give up there Mavic 2 Pro because the Air 2S was just so good with both pictures and videos. When it comes to video , its very difficult to see the difference between video quality.

We can see a noticeable difference between 1080 footage and 2k : We cannot see much difference between 2k and 4K so maybe it will take 5K to see yet another glaring difference.

If the 2 x or 4x Zoom on the Picture mode is good , that alone for many will bring value to the Mavic 3 , with that said look at what is missing from the drone until they Unlock those features with the Software.

\2021-11-08_02h02_17.png

That 100 MP , Yep that is going to be for me the Kwisatz Haderach - Or in dune speak the total shift of Power.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain., Capture the Storm ,

A number of reviewers noted that some features were still coming in firmware updates, however I never quite picked up that the list was so long...

This is somewhat problematic, DJI is selling a high priced feature crippled drone that may take them months to deliver all those features in multiple firmware updates, and probably Fly updates that affect all the Fly compatible drones , all of which could have issues themselves... it would be nice if they would have shipped the Mavic with more or all of that working

Yes I get one of mine delivered tomorrow and i am tempted not to fly it until these are activated as I think there will be quite a few changes. The SC being one of them.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: Droniac
What is slightly concerning to me is how features were promised in the last SC and they were either delayed or never quite worked. That was more around the live sharing of video streams IIRC, but I do remember is being annoying.

I suggest watching the YouTube video on the 3. An hour long discussion between Greg R. (Pilot Institute) and Haye from DroneXL. They cover current capabilities, both strengths and weaknesses, and planned updates from DJI.

Lets keep in mind that many a sole give up there Mavic 2 Pro because the Air 2S was just so good with both pictures and videos. When it comes to video , its very difficult to see the difference between video quality.

We can see a noticeable difference between 1080 footage and 2k : We cannot see much difference between 2k and 4K so maybe it will take 5K to see yet another glaring difference.

If the 2 x or 4x Zoom on the Picture mode is good , that alone for many will bring value to the Mavic 3 , with that said look at what is missing from the drone until they Unlock those features with the Software.

\View attachment 137986

That 100 MP , Yep that is going to be for me the Kwisatz Haderach - Or in dune speak the total shift of Power.

Phantomrain.org

... Waypoint? Waypoints? Bueller?

• Haha
Reactions: merak75 and Droniac

\View attachment 137986

Phantomrain.org
I don't know about you guys but I think we are being scammed by DJI! They are advertising and selling an incomplete product, and expect the buyer to pay for future promised goodies that do not exist now! That is really incredible that they rushed this out for the Christmas season without warning people of the deficiencies of the product. There are more automated flight modes on my M2P and even on my old Mavic Air 1 than there on the M3. Considering that and the fact that the tele camera is only JPG and not RAW makes me draw back immediately from any consideration of purchasing at this time.

I don't know about you guys but I think we are being scammed by DJI! They are advertising and selling an incomplete product, and expect the buyer to pay for future promised goodies that do not exist now! That is really incredible that they rushed this out for the Christmas season without warning people of the deficiencies of the product. There are more automated flight modes on my M2P and even on my old Mavic Air 1 than there on the M3. Considering that and the fact that the tele camera is only JPG and not RAW makes me draw back immediately from any consideration of purchasing at this time.
DJi more often than not has delivered on their feature promises, whether they dropped a feature on some model, that they promised, I cannot recall..

It is problematic, and its not the first time companies have shipped products prematurely, turning users into voluntary or involuntary beta testers. It should have a label on the box saying that these features are coming. They should even consider giving early buyers a coupon for an extra battery or some other accessory for being a "beta tester"

Last edited:

Not sure I'd call it a scam per se, but it's certainly not making me want to hit the BUY button until these features are fully in the product. I wonder (conspiracy theory alert) if the reason they brought it to market early is that a competitor (Autel? Skydio?) are also about to announce new products, and DJI wanted the attention.

Not sure I'd call it a scam per se, but it's certainly not making me want to hit the BUY button until these features are fully in the product. I wonder (conspiracy theory alert) if the reason they brought it to market early is that a competitor (Autel? Skydio?) are also about to announce new products, and DJI wanted the attention.
I agree. I, for one, will defer purchase until I get a completed product. DJI are you reading these posts?Your promo materials should feature loud disclaimers, not just flashy videos.

1080P and 2K are the same. 4K is four times the resolution of 1080P. Very few displays are 5K (mostly just computer monitors), so that is very unlikely to be anyone's desired output resolution.

Whether or not you can see a difference between various resolutions largely depends on screen size. TV's are getting bigger and bigger, and I personally watch on a 120" 4K screen where the difference between 1080P and 4K sources is quite noticeable. That's going to be a little different for everyone though.

Just like with 4K vs 1080P, 5K vs 4K, 8K vs 4K or whatever else, much of the advantage is on the processing side of things. Shooting in a higher resolution than your intended output has a number of advantages:

1) Extra leeway for 'lossless' cropping/panning/zooming. You can worry about composition after the fact and have a huge buffer for making compositional mistakes.
2) The ability to grab higher resolution stills from any frame within your footage
3) Higher resolutions properly downsampled to lower resolutions will always result in a higher quality image
4) Higher resolution gives better color fidelity and better gradients

Just like with stills photography, more resolution is always better strictly from an image quality standpoint, all else being equal.

The M3's "zoom" is strictly digital, so that crop can be done in post if you wish with better results and far more flexibility. Better to have than not to have though I suppose.

This is actually pretty common in the imaging industry. Products are regularly released with the promise of either a free or paid firmware update sometime down the line to add features. The most recent example of this is the Nikon Z9 - they are adding some pretty significant features via firmware sometime in 2022, but the camera will be available for purchase before year's end. As long as they deliver on those promises, and are upfront about it, I don't see a problem with it because the customer has all the information pre-purchase to make a decision either way.

The tele camera very much seems like an afterthought on the M3 though, in it's current state, I personally wish they did not include it at all.

DJi more often than note has delivered on their feature promises, whether they dropped a feature on some model, that they promised, I cannot recall..

It is problematic, and its not the first time companies have shipped products prematurely, turning users into voluntary or involuntary beta testers. It should have a label on the box saying that these features are coming. They should even consider giving early buyers a coupon for an extra battery or some other accessory for being a "beta tester"
Hard not to agree. Maybe they are all on “spice”, but in a way it does feel like you’re buying a new tv that comes preset with all the Netflix, HBO all FREE etc and you can enjoy ALL that if you buy now, and it will activate in JANUARY! Commercial free?
Hmmm. Lol. Not bad really. 🤐 (I think they simply know the American consumer very very well indeed)

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Hard not to agree. Maybe they are all on “spice”, but in a way it does feel like you’re buying a new tv that comes preset with all the Netflix, HBO all FREE etc and you can enjoy ALL that if you buy now, and it will activate in JANUARY! Commercial free?
Hmmm. Lol. Not bad really. 🤐 (I think they simply know the American consumer very very well indeed)
Are we on Dune (Arrakis)now? The Freman are coming....

They seem to, we do want our toys now, and its hard to wait sometimes, course this drone has been a long wait, the problem is despite the wait, its still not all there. And of course, we reaching the limitations of various tech, you can only toss so many pixels on a screen and still see a real difference..

The question now is, when do the features start rolling out, my guess is, we won't see anything till 2022 at this point..

To bad DJI didn’t just stick with the GO apps. Better and easier than FLY, IMO. And worked on more devices as well.
This is one of those really subjective things, I think Fly is better than Go...

There are a couple things that didn't make the transition sound recording in the app for a flight and now they have added streaming. with many potential tweaks to Fly for the Mavic 3, perhaps we'll all see new features..

I am looking for the 3:2 Aspect Ratio option. Not in the Fly app...

1636507066042.png

\View attachment 137986

Phantomrain.org

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
It is problematic, and its not the first time companies have shipped products prematurely, turning users into voluntary or involuntary beta testers.
It seems like this happens more often than not these days. Consumers, myself included, should be ashamed of themselves that they continually allow it to happen. But in today's "gotta have it yesterday" world of instant gratification I don't see that changing at all.

DJI isn't forcing anyone to buy anything. If you feel the product isn't ready, then don't buy one, end of story. Having a clear list of upcoming features added via firmware doesn't make anyone a "beta tester", and most certainly not an "involuntary" one. Beta testing is the final round of pre-release testing done in a production environment but before official release to the general public - so nobody is a beta tester unless you received your M3 before November 4, and you weren't an involuntary beta tester unless DJI forced you to do it or tricked you into doing it. Regardless of how much testing is done beforehand, there will also ALWAYS be issues/bugs with new products, that's how the world works and that's why warranties and firmware updates exist - if any of that bothers you, then buy it at the end of it's life cycle where those things are minimized. If you willingly buy a product through a normal retail channel that has features added sometime in the future, especially if it was disclosed to you prior to purchasing, you are not a beta tester by any definition.

The reality of it is that it's very common in the electronics industry to do what DJI is doing. It's especially common in the camera/video industry, the computer industry, the home theater industry, and even the automotive industry to an extent. Products are very often released with a "roadmap" or some kind of indication of what will be added sometime down the line. People who want it early can get it, with a list of caveats clearly disclosed in advance - they aren't trying to fool anyone. If that bothers you, then you're free to wait and buy it later. This way DJI is able to offer the best of both worlds, satisfying the largest number of people and I don't see a problem with that. The alternative is that the drone is released sometime in the future, and there would be no advantage to that because the people who were going to wait anyway wouldn't get it any sooner, and the people who wanted it ASAP who were OK with the caveats would have no option to do so.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys