DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3

Rcthethird

Reactions
I'm sure this has been covered lots of times, but has anyone any idea of when we are likely to see the Mavic 3 and any idea of price. I'm trying to decide on Mavic 2 pro or wait and that will be only if I could afford the 3 when it arrives. Thanks in advance.

All crystal ball stuff at this stage. The mav 2 is amazing and worth the purchase.

I'm sure this has been covered lots of times, but has anyone any idea of when we are likely to see the Mavic 3 and any idea of price. I'm trying to decide on Mavic 2 pro or wait and that will be only if I could afford the 3 when it arrives. Thanks in advance.
Depreciation is barely a thing with these drones.

Get your M2P for now, and sell it for the M3 later.

At the rate technology changes these days if you hang around for the latest & greatest you would never buy anything because the newer one is always on the horizon.

Yeah, but if you are in the EU you might want to hang on to avoid having your drone end up in the "Legacy" class. Depending on your intended usage and budget that might be quite a significant factor at this point, and having to make a call between an M2P now or an M3 at some unknown point in the future isn't one I'd like to make.

Of course, if were in that situation and made the call to go with the M2P now, then I can guarantee you that DJI would announce the M3 in July. :)

Yeah, but if you are in the EU you might want to hang on to avoid having your drone end up in the "Legacy" class. Depending on your intended usage and budget that might be quite a significant factor at this point, and having to make a call between an M2P now or an M3 at some unknown point in the future isn't one I'd like to make.

Of course, if were in that situation and made the call to go with the M2P now, then I can guarantee you that DJI would announce the M3 in July. :)
It's currently November and still no Mavic 3. They've released the Air 2, Mini 2 (Useless to professional aerial photographers in my opinion), but still no Mavic 3??

Well:
1. The Mavic Mini is super tiny and really looks like a toy.
2. In a professional world where most of the professionals are armed with Mavic 2s, Inspire 2s, Phantom 4s, Autel Evo 2s... the Mavic Mini 1 or 2 can't really provide much competition. Also, I believe that the Mavic Mini and Mini 2 were created for consumers not pro-sumers. That's why it's less than 250g, because people who fly for fun, don't want to have to register the drone. Professionals usually realize it's something you gotta do and since the drone is making money, they don't care about the extra cost. For regular people, the drone is just a toy and they probably won't want to spend more money (I think the registration fee is like $50), on top of the $400+ they spent on the drone originally, to get it registered.

You're off by a factor of 10. Registration is only $5 for 3 years. If for recreation, then that one registration is for all your drones. If for 107, then you need to register each drone that you intend to fly as 107.

Because of the low cost, there's little reason not to register as you still have to follow the rules, including not flying in controlled airspace without authorization. You need a registration number to get authorization.

Reactions: pelagic_one
The Mavic Mini is super tiny and really looks like a toy.
It just looks like a smaller version of the other Mavics and being small also means being easily portable. However, it’s not what it looks like which is important to professional photographers, it’s how well it does the job.

In a professional world where most of the professionals are armed with Mavic 2s, Inspire 2s, Phantom 4s, Autel Evo 2s... the Mavic Mini 1 or 2 can't really provide much competition.
The Mini 2 can shoot in 4k and RAW format - how is that not competition?

It just looks like a smaller version of the other Mavics and being small also means being easily portable. However, it’s not what it looks like which is important to professional photographers, it’s how well it does the job.

The Mini 2 can shoot in 4k and RAW format - how is that not competition?
Are you saying that you'd use the Mini 2 for professional work? In my opinion, it just too small. And looks do matter. If a drone looks crappy, or, in this case, looks too much like a toy, you probably won't use it for professional work. It's kind of like a kid showing up to do grown ups work. The kid might be able to do it, but they'd be less likely to 1. Impress their employer without showing what it can do 2. They'd be less likely to get the job over a grown up. 3. Everyone is going to think that the grown up can do better than the kid can, whether or not it's a fact. Same things apply with the Mavic Mini and the more professional style drones.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Are you saying that you'd use the Mini 2 for professional work? In my opinion, it just too small. And looks do matter. If a drone looks crappy, or, in this case, looks too much like a toy, you probably won't use it for professional work. It's kind of like a kid showing up to do grown ups work. The kid might be able to do it, but they'd be less likely to 1. Impress their employer without showing what it can do 2. They'd be less likely to get the job over a grown up. 3. Everyone is going to think that the grown up can do better than the kid can, whether or not it's a fact. Same things apply with the Mavic Mini and the more professional style drones.
I agree with this... To an extent.

I run a Real Estate Photography business with my S20 Ultra and my Mavic Air 2.

Results DO matter. I mean yes, if I show up with a phone, and the other guy shows up with a Sony a7RIII then they'll probably pick him, but that does NOT mean his deliverables will be better.

A bigger price tag does not mean better quality deliverables. It depends on what you need to deliver. MLS severely limits file sizes and most realtors don't zoom.

I agree with this... To an extent.

I run a Real Estate Photography business with my S20 Ultra and my Mavic Air 2.

Results DO matter. I mean yes, if I show up with a phone, and the other guy shows up with a Sony a7RIII then they'll probably pick him, but that does NOT mean his deliverables will be better.

A bigger price tag does not mean better quality deliverables. It depends on what you need to deliver. MLS severely limits file sizes and most realtors don't zoom.
I agree with you completely, except that normally, the more experienced guy would show up with the Mavic Air 2, or the Mavic 2 Pro, or an Inspire 2. It's very unlikely that he'd show up with a Mini 2 or a Spark. I mean, come on, how lame would that be! Or in your scenario, he'd likely show up with the Sony a7R III. Now I'm not saying it's impossible that a professional would show up with his phone, after all, phone cameras are getting pretty great, but professionals usually have - and use - professional equipment. Professional also know that - like you said - if they show up with their phone, someone is likely to show up with something better. Consumers, usually have consumer equipment (In my personal opinion, things like the Mavic Mini and Spark). Now every now and then you'll see that rich beginner with the Red camera or whatever but it's not often.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I agree with you completely, except that normally, the more experienced guy would show up with the Mavic Air 2, or the Mavic 2 Pro, or an Inspire 2. It's very unlikely that he'd show up with a Mini 2 or a Spark. I mean, come on, how lame would that be! Or in your scenario, he'd likely show up with the Sony a7R III. Now I'm not saying it's impossible that a professional would show up with his phone, after all, phone cameras are getting pretty great, but professionals usually have - and use - professional equipment. Professional also know that - like you said - if they show up with their phone, someone is likely to show up with something better. Consumers, usually have consumer equipment (In my personal opinion, things like the Mavic Mini and Spark). Now every now and then you'll see that rich beginner with the Red camera or whatever but it's not often.
+1

Reactions: jaysmithtechtv
I agree with you completely, except that normally, the more experienced guy would show up with the Mavic Air 2, or the Mavic 2 Pro, or an Inspire 2.

A professional probably would turn up with a more expensive drone because that’s what was previously needed to do a good job. However, that’s not necessarily now the case with the release of the Mini 2. If you consider that a MA2 is good enough, then (apart from a few small differences) so is a Mini 2 for most jobs. A customer is unlikely to ask to see your drone before they hire you and is unlikely to know what they’re looking at anyway. You’re paid for your results, not your equipment. My father-in-law was a professional photographer and would often use his old, fairly basic favourite camera in preference to his more expensive, modern ones. I don’t think anyone ever refused to hire him because of that.

The equipment doesn’t matter as much as the skill and talent of the person using it.

As Chase Jarvis once said “the best camera is the one that's with you,”

As someone that has at some point owned every version of the Mavic line, and was very snobbish about the original Mini - I can say with confidence the Mini2 is a very capable drone in the right hands.

@Lastrexking and @maelstrom, I agree with you. BUT. I still think that if you do end up working for someone, and they end up knowing something about drones, I doubt they'd be pleased to pay you $150+/hr to fly a drone that looks like a toy. I mean, the Mavic 2 and Air will already look close enough to toys, but the Mini!? Come on.

Reactions: NAVMAV
I wonder what the MA3 will have over the MA2, just in case?

Enchanced zoom? Stronger Ocusync? New activetrack selections? More hyperlapse choices? Improved body and design?

Ah, to speculate is ....... torture ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov