DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 1 controller - bleeping continuously

JPC

Reactions
Hi, every time I power on my Mavic Air 1 and its controller, the controller continues to bleep even after it has linked with the drone. I have found that the only way to silence the alarm bleeping is to go into the Remote Controller Settings and to do a calibration of the control joy sticks. To do this you have to power off the drone and then go thru the advanced settings to reset and configure the controls on the Controller. Sometimes this works, and shuts down the alarm when I try to connect with the drone; sometimes it doesn't and I have to power off the controller, the app, the drone and start all over again. I sometimes have to repeat this several times. Indeed, I now never know whether I can fly the drone or not and I certainly do not want to lose it if the controls start to not function correctly during flight.
Has anyone had this problem? - and if so what was the solution? Or am I looking at a replacement controller
The drone is just over a year old and has worked well unto recently, when this issue surfaced occasionally - now it happens every time I want to fly the drone.
Regds
Jon

I know the problem well. I sent my controller in to DJI for other problems..(gimbal wheel acting like right stick etc) and they listed several modules that they replaced but instead sent me a new controller and drone. I did pay a fee..90 bucks that was reduced from something higher after I questioned what had caused the problem. The new controller does the same constant calibration thing.
Someone mentioned that you should change the place you are calibrating the controller if that occurs. Sometimes it keeps asking me to center the sticks and I have to shut it down and start over..and other times it won't go all the way to 100%. Sometimes if you just restart the controller and it doesn't beep. I know the problem but I don't know the answer. Occasionally mine will start a slow yaw to the right with no input. You can stop it but there is no telling when it will do it again. It usually asks for a re-calibration after a flight when that has happened but then..it asks for a re-calibration all the time anyway. I really like the drone but it can be cantankerous in that regard. I immediately sent it back to DJI and they had it quite a while and returned it..I'm thinking that they weren't able to duplicate the problem. I sent my drone along with it and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't flown.
I'm not complaining...I got a new drone and controller ..but I keep wondering if it should be better. I have an Air 2 and that might be clouding my judgement.

Reactions: JPC
I was having this issue more and more with my Mavic Air 1 controller, and finally experimented with using a tape head demagnetizer (degaussing tool), ~$15 on Amazon, on the controller a few times around the joystick area. It seems to have eliminated or substantially reduced the issue for me.

It might have been a coincidence, so there are no guarantees this will work for you.

Reactions: hiflyer201
At an even more superstitious level than @dawgpilot, I give both sticks a complete fiddling for 5 seconds before turning the controller on. I went from "getting the tone every time I turn the controller on" to "never had the error in the last six months".

I make some rapid up-down stick movements, some clockwise and anticlockwise rotations, and end with a few left-right transitions. I then turn on the controller.

Again, it may have been coincidence, but the one time I forgot to do this, the controller beeped incessantly as it went on. I turned it off again, did the controller's limbering up exercises as above, and when I turned it on again, all was right with the world...

At an even more superstitious level than @dawgpilot, I give both sticks a complete fiddling for 5 seconds before turning the controller on. I went from "getting the tone every time I turn the controller on" to "never had the error in the last six months".

I make some rapid up-down stick movements, some clockwise and anticlockwise rotations, and end with a few left-right transitions. I then turn on the controller.

Again, it may have been coincidence, but the one time I forgot to do this, the controller beeped incessantly as it went on. I turned it off again, did the controller's limbering up exercises as above, and when I turned it on again, all was right with the world...

Funny enough, that was also my routine as well. It seemed to help for a while!

Reactions: hiflyer201
It's something to do with freeing up the sticks I'm sure because mine sometimes keeps telling me to center the sticks and I can't it get out of that loop..even when turning it off and on until it decides enough is enough and it goes ahead and calibrates.

I have the same issue 5 out of 10 tints I switch the controller on. Yes my sticks have some play because if I reduce throttle in left it goes into a yaw.

Solution is to fiddle with sticks after switch on. Or before power of i move sticks it sometimes didn't go into beeping. I have camera up down also making right or left move.

Other solution is to clean the joy stick from inside. I have not tried yet. Mine is a second hand drone.

I did until I figured out I was standing in line with the collision avoidance beam. Moved away from the centerline of the drone and beeping ceased.

I know the problem well. I sent my controller in to DJI for other problems..(gimbal wheel acting like right stick etc) and they listed several modules that they replaced but instead sent me a new controller and drone. I did pay a fee..90 bucks that was reduced from something higher after I questioned what had caused the problem. The new controller does the same constant calibration thing.
Someone mentioned that you should change the place you are calibrating the controller if that occurs. Sometimes it keeps asking me to center the sticks and I have to shut it down and start over..and other times it won't go all the way to 100%. Sometimes if you just restart the controller and it doesn't beep. I know the problem but I don't know the answer. Occasionally mine will start a slow yaw to the right with no input. You can stop it but there is no telling when it will do it again. It usually asks for a re-calibration after a flight when that has happened but then..it asks for a re-calibration all the time anyway. I really like the drone but it can be cantankerous in that regard. I immediately sent it back to DJI and they had it quite a while and returned it..I'm thinking that they weren't able to duplicate the problem. I sent my drone along with it and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't flown.
I'm not complaining...I got a new drone and controller ..but I keep wondering if it should be better. I have an Air 2 and that might be clouding my judgement.
Thanks for the detail here - I seem to have found a solution though: namely I now don't use the supplied cable from the controller direct to the iPhone (the small cable that fits to the LHS of the controller). I now use a USB to iPhone connector cable running from the back underside of the controller to the iPhone. I've now had 5 or 6 flights with NO controller beeping or need to recalibrate the controls - so fingers crossed it might have been a cable/socket issue.

@JPC: I'm glad this has improved the performance of your controller, but for me, the nature of the cable had little bearing:
  • my controller would go into its mad world of beeping whether or not I had a cable plugged into it
  • adding a cable when it wasn't doing this never made the noise start and adding a cable after it started never made it stop

I am a newbie here and just bought a used Mavic Air. I am reading a lot of threads to understand what kind of things could happen.
I was very interested in the comment about using the USB port instead of the 'usual' controller port. I want to use a Tablet but the cable from the 'usual' port won't reach, but I have plenty of USB > Samsung phone/tablet cables.
Can I use either prot to fly the Mavic Air?

Perhaps that's the logic: but out of interest I tried from Power off both times, firstly with the small cable from the side, and secondly with the USB cable from the back port of the controller. With the small cable it continually beeped - only way to stop it is to switch off the drone, reconfigure the controller settings via the controller itself and then switch the drone back on. But with the USB cable no issues at all: starts up, links with controller and ready to fly - so I'll stick with the USB cable until, and if, it too starts to cause a continual beeping.

I am a newbie here and just bought a used Mavic Air. I am reading a lot of threads to understand what kind of things could happen.
I was very interested in the comment about using the USB port instead of the 'usual' controller port. I want to use a Tablet but the cable from the 'usual' port won't reach, but I have plenty of USB > Samsung phone/tablet cables.
Can I use either prot to fly the Mavic Air?
Yes you can - and I've flown my Mavic Air 1 with an iPad and not bothered with the mounting adaptor. I've just clamped the Controller onto the top of the iPad, used the USB cable to link the controller to the iPad and the flown it. Yes the picture is at 90 deg but I just hold the iPad at an angle - works fine!

Yes you can - and I've flown my Mavic Air 1 with an iPad and not bothered with the mounting adaptor. I've just clamped the Controller onto the top of the iPad, used the USB cable to link the controller to the iPad and the flown it. Yes the picture is at 90 deg but I just hold the iPad at an angle - works fine!
Great. TX for the quick reply.
I bought it used and there was a Lekufee bracket in the bag and a phone (without Sim card) too. The seller didn't know what the bracket was for - he bought it second hand too but only flew 30 mins apparently, !!!

"Hi, every time I power on my Mavic Air 1 and its controller, the controller continues to bleep"

As a retired Ed/Pub, that 'Bleep' is driving us NUTS!! We wouldn't want to mess with somebody else's Post, but PLEASE change that to 'BEEPING' rather than "Bleeping"?~

Bleep, bleep, bleep!!~

Rgds, NAVMAV

"Hi, every time I power on my Mavic Air 1 and its controller, the controller continues to bleep"

As a retired Ed/Pub, that 'Bleep' is driving us NUTS!! We wouldn't want to mess with somebody else's Post, but PLEASE change that to 'BEEPING' rather than "Bleeping"?~

Bleep, bleep, bleep!!~

Rgds, NAVMAV
Recalibrating the RC/sticks usually fixes it.

Not a coincidence- I was having same problem and did what you did- Never had the issue since

Hi, every time I power on my Mavic Air 1 and its controller, the controller continues to bleep even after it has linked with the drone. I have found that the only way to silence the alarm bleeping is to go into the Remote Controller Settings and to do a calibration of the control joy sticks. To do this you have to power off the drone and then go thru the advanced settings to reset and configure the controls on the Controller. Sometimes this works, and shuts down the alarm when I try to connect with the drone; sometimes it doesn't and I have to power off the controller, the app, the drone and start all over again. I sometimes have to repeat this several times. Indeed, I now never know whether I can fly the drone or not and I certainly do not want to lose it if the controls start to not function correctly during flight.
Has anyone had this problem? - and if so what was the solution? Or am I looking at a replacement controller
The drone is just over a year old and has worked well unto recently, when this issue surfaced occasionally - now it happens every time I want to fly the drone.
Regds
Jon
Here is some info. that may help.

Reactions: DTaylor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike