DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 active track woes when trying to target Efoil surfer

Nitram15

Reactions
I have been trying to 4K 30 fps video an Efoil surfboard,in bright sunlight,from around 15'-20' altitude,at a range of about 30-100 feet.
It makes no difference if the sea surface is glassy smooth or rippled with waves,the various tracking modes,Active track/ focus track, will not lock on to target.
Just once I managed a lock on,but only lasted 10 secs..
Could someone explain the system used to acquire and hold the target.
Is there anything the efoil surf rider can wear,that would help the drone lock on?
Is there a preferred video mode that would help the active track lock on?
Regards from sunny Costa Blanca..

I was just watching a video this morning by a motorcycle guy comparing DJI drones vs Skydio's tracking features. It appears that in terms of tracking DJI's system is inconsistent at best. But it is still common thought that DJI drones handle better with manual flying than it's strongest competitors, who I would think would be Skydio and Autel.

I do not own a Skydio, but saw my buddies in action following us MT Bikers through a pretty interesting area... it did lose us a couple times in complicated areas, but watching it "think" about how to get through some areas was interesting. It tended to lose us (using the beacon) if you went sharply around a corner and lost LOS... it would pop up higher, find us, then continue. It did almost crash once when it his a branch of a dead burned tree... but it fully recovered before it hit the ground. I would say I was pretty impressed with the Skydio seeing it in action for the first time.

Different lighting conditions can make it all over the ballpark. Contrasting clothes should help.
Welcome to the forum from Sunny California :)

The algorithms in Active track are set up for people and car shaped objects specifically. Anything that breaks up that shape is usually a hit or miss.

Reactions: hiflyer201
The algorithms in Active track are set up for people and car shaped objects specifically. Anything that breaks up that shape is usually a hit or miss.
That's an interesting point Mark. When I walk with my dog's my air 2 will give me that message...people or cars..and ignore my box. My Mavic Air 1 tracks me pretty well in the same situation.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
I never managed to use it on objects in water. It might be a bug in the fly app. I planning to try the sdk directly to see the behaivor.

I never managed to use it on objects in water. It might be a bug in the fly app. I planning to try the sdk directly to see the behaivor.
I have successfully tracked powerboats and small sailing boats,but I have never managed to track surfers.

I have since managed 5 minutes of active track trace,by starting early in the morning,with low light,and,beginning the session with the target very close to the drone..After this session,and with increasing light,I was unable to successfully active active track again..

I have been trying to 4K 30 fps video an Efoil surfboard,in bright sunlight,from around 15'-20' altitude,at a range of about 30-100 feet.
It makes no difference if the sea surface is glassy smooth or rippled with waves,the various tracking modes,Active track/ focus track, will not lock on to target.
Just once I managed a lock on,but only lasted 10 secs..
Could someone explain the system used to acquire and hold the target.
Is there anything the efoil surf rider can wear,that would help the drone lock on?
Is there a preferred video mode that would help the active track lock on?
Regards from sunny Costa Blanca..
On the water, lots of practice just using the sticks …….. There are some great videos on YouTube, to get some inspiration. 👍😎🇳🇿

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143