DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Active Track

Opieos

Reactions
Hey gang

Back to the "well of knowledge"

I'm interested in doing a short drone flight and video using the "Active Track - follow me" function while riding a Mountain bike. This would be on an open field park (aka soccer field)

Curious for those that have done similar are you using another person to monitor the drone and control? If not what are you doing with the remote control and phone\ipad while on the bike

Even though it's a low altitude flight with no one around I have some reservation about not being able to keep an eye on the drone and\or stuffing the remote and phone in a backpack or jersey pocket seems like that would be a disaster waiting to happen??

TIA

Opieos

Last edited:
I've had mixed luck with this. Since I'm generally filming myself or me and a friend the only suitable method I've found is to start active track, set the controller down somewhere and go ride. Fingers crossed it stays with you and doesn't disconnect. More than once I've had to hurry back to the controller then go try to find the drone. Once while riding motocross and tracking like this drone emergency landed due to low battery and I had to go find it in the open desert. That was fun.

I haven't tried it with the Mavic Air 2, but back when I had the Mavic Air I had a controller mount on my handlebars. Then at least I could somewhat stay in control and correct if needed. Mavic Air 2 controller is so big not sure I'd want that on my bars.

Really the best/safest method is to have someone else pilot or go buy a Skydio 2, that drone is made for this type of operation.

Reactions: Opieos
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme