DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 and Smart Controller Need to Bind Every Flight?

SaltyPilot

Reactions
Hi everyone! Just wondering if any of you have this experience or is it just my system? I am flying my Mavic Air 2 with my Smart Controller and each flight, I have to "Bind" the Air 2 to the Smart Controller. It's not just power on and it connects. Every time I power Off, and change batteries etc, I have to re-bind on the next flight. If any of you have and ideas as to why, or any info, please post up here. It's just a hassle to have to re-bind on every flight. I do not have this issue with the Mavic 2 Pro and Smart Controller. Only with the Air 2. Thanks everyone!

Hi everyone! Just wondering if any of you have this experience or is it just my system? I am flying my Mavic Air 2 with my Smart Controller and each flight, I have to "Bind" the Air 2 to the Smart Controller. It's not just power on and it connects. Every time I power Off, and change batteries etc, I have to re-bind on the next flight. If any of you have and ideas as to why, or any info, please post up here. It's just a hassle to have to re-bind on every flight. I do not have this issue with the Mavic 2 Pro and Smart Controller. Only with the Air 2. Thanks everyone!
I'm not sure if what I've been experiencing would be considered binding but lately I get a message to close out of the app and re-open.

Hi SaltyPilot, I too have the smart controller and use it with my mini2, m2z, and the ma2. Once you fire up the SC and the main screen appears... if you select the connect on the left of the screen, it gives you the option to change aircraft. if you select your aircraft type from here, it will want you to bind your AC again.

Let's say, on my last flight i bound it to my to my m2z, fly, then finish the flight and shut everything down. later i fly again with the same aircraft, all you have to do is turn on the sc, turn on the aircraft. in this case the sc will auto link with the m2z which was previously linked and the go4 app will appear. connected! no re-binding. JUST DON'T HIT THE CONNECT OPTION WHEN YOU FIRE UP THE SC" otherwise the sc will think you are selecting a different ac and will want you to rebind.

another way to get flying quickly, if you haven't hit the connect button, is to turn on the sc, tap the little icon on the lower right which takes you to the main screen. in the case of my m2z, once at the main screen i select the go 4 app, let it start, turn on my m2z and i'm connected. no rebinding.

The only time you need to select the connect button again is if like in my case, i decide to fly one of the other birds, ma2 or my mini2. Or maybe after a firmware upgrade. haven't had that happen yet.

also forgot, if you previously were using the stock controller when you setup your ma2, your sc has to also be bound to the aircraft and dji's database. in the dji fly app this is done under the profile settings in the fly app.. had to do this as a one time shot with all three of my birds that work with the sc. when i switched back to the original controller had to go through the same processs.

hope this helps!

happy and safe flying
inno

Last edited:
Here is my 2 cent worth and it seems to work every time. I know the "book" says to power on the RC first, then the bird. When I do, it wants to re-bind the drone. I have found that if you turn the drone on first, then the RC (smart remote that is) it is ready to fly. It shows the MA2 and "GoFly" and it's ready to go. Much easier.

And if you power on the RC first and then the drone the two will sync without any intervention. Once paired they remain paired between power cycles. Just don't press the PAIR/CONNECT/whatever button - be patient for the two find each other.

And if you power on the RC first and then the drone the two will sync without any intervention. Once paired they remain paired between power cycles. Just don't press the PAIR/CONNECT/whatever button - be patient for the two find each other.
You're correct! I usually have to power on the bird first then the remote. But today I did the remote first then the bird and it connected. Usually have to do the bird first. Hmmmm.

I was having this issue for the last few flights with my Air 2 and was aggravated. I have since sold it and got an Air2 S so I don’t remember the sequence, if that was the issue.

You're correct! I usually have to power on the bird first then the remote. But today I did the remote first then the bird and it connected. Usually have to do the bird first. Hmmmm.
It isn't order dependent. Just both have to be alive and talking. The tricky part is to NOT push any of the [CONNECT] buttons on the controller. Just wait a few seconds and if the drone and controller are on, they will connect without any user intervention and the controller will open DJI Fly after the two have had a chat.

Also - if you do rush the process and hit [CONNECT] on the controller, just back out of that pairing screen - you haven't lost anything yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair