DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 and waypoints

None at present.
DJI has not released the SDK for the Air 2 which developers need to write software for the Air 2.
I'm wondering if the SDK release for Mavic Air 2 will allow full use of Litchi like it has with earlier DJI Go 4 App Version Drones. I am holding off on the MA2 (DJI Fly App)... until I see what Litchi can do with the MA2 SDK. I just bought my Mavic Mini in Jan., & love it. Now I'm waiting to also see what Litchi's beta testing can do with the released SDK for the Mini, but... have read Litchi will not be fully functional because Mavic Mini supposedly lacks the 'Hardware' to be fully functional with the Mini. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I am holding my breath again as to whether my iPhone 8 Plus could work with the Mavic Air 2, if & whenever Litchi will fully work with the MA2. X-Plane on PC is starting to look better & better - lol.

Is Mavic Air 2's hardware even capable or running Litchi Waypoints? Is it even capable or running Waypoints 2.0 ? Apparently even the Mavic Mini, all along... was never capable of Litchi waypoints, even with the much awaited SDK. So are we all waiting for another SDK that only will help MA2 in a very limited way? Maybe DJI could put out a basic OS, then allow the Customer to purchase desired capabilities along the way, as they wanted them? Just a thought.

Is Mavic Air 2's hardware even capable or running Litchi Waypoints? Is it even capable or running Waypoints 2.0 ? Apparently even the Mavic Mini, all along... was never capable of Litchi waypoints, even with the much awaited SDK. So are we all waiting for another SDK that only will help MA2 in a very limited way? Maybe DJI could put out a basic OS, then allow the Customer to purchase desired capabilities along the way, as they wanted them? Just a thought.

We won't know until the SDK is released. The MA2 does already have waypoints for the hyperlapse mode, so that might mean the firmware already has the required code, but we'll see.

Reactions: stevenws
Well, I was going to purchase the MA2 Combo - BUT. Then I thought about the MA Pro with built in 'Waypoints 2.0', but almost $500 more. And, only the DJI Programmers know along with Litchi, even if MA2 is capable? So, meanwhile... DJI is loosing out on a minimum of $1,000 of my $ for the MA2 Combo. OK... meanwhile maybe I can locate a used older drone that already runs well with Litchi Waypoints? If this is a marketing strategy... who is winning or loosing here?

Is Mavic Air 2's hardware even capable or running Litchi Waypoints?

Not as they currently stand. However, the Mini isn't capable of storing waypoints onboard but can happily fly waypoint missions with Dronelink. There's no reason why the MA2 will not also be able to do this when the SDK is released.

I’ve been waiting patiently for Litchi to come out with full support (including Waypoints) for the Air2 but Litchi is still even struggling to provide Waypoints for the Mavic Mini1 and their status on Waypoints has been stuck in “coming soon” since around last August. Read that Dronelink had Air2 Waypoints beta support out for like 3days then pulled the plug. Being tired of waiting I went ahead and purchased this little known app: Maven for DJI Drones. It’s currently for iOS only (full release, not beta), supports autonomous Waypoints Missions for the Mini1 and Air2. I have a Mini1, an Air2 and an iPadMini5 so Maven seemed like the right fit. After testing the Maven app for 2days running my Mavic Mini1 thru several missions I felt confident enough to step the game up to the Air2. My thoughts: I’m very satisfied with my decision not to wait any longer for the other well known apps and feel Maven for DJI Drones hasn’t received the recognition it deserves.

I know people will probably complain that the Air2 can only run Waypoints by Virtual Sticks and that it can not complete the mission if there’s a loss of RC signal. The Air2 has OcuSync and I’ve range tested it in an open field 3.5mi out before turning back only due to battery limitations. So unless people want to create Waypoint Missions with distances beyond a 2mi radius there’s a very good chance the Air2 will maintain its RC signal thru their entire missions. I’d post a video of this Air2 test Waypoints Mission flight but I’m not so much into social media and don’t have a YouTube account.

Attachments

• BD44AD59-E5C2-457B-B6DA-529CA0EC3D2F.jpeg
    BD44AD59-E5C2-457B-B6DA-529CA0EC3D2F.jpeg
    768 KB · Views: 40
  • 9BC2A2FA-2E64-4D3D-9700-A355A8726491.jpeg
    9BC2A2FA-2E64-4D3D-9700-A355A8726491.jpeg
    888.9 KB · Views: 38
Maven app (only iOS)

Been using the Maven app on iOS successfully for the last 2 years through its development which is always carried out very quickly when new functionality becomes available. The Geo Fencing is invaluable in tight spaces, great accuracy for waypoints, camera control on each waypoint is excellent, all in all a brilliant app and great value and you are provided with the functionality you need and not lots of functionality you do not need which in turn slows down development.
The only additional functionality that for me is not provided is the option to set altitude above ground but I am sure it will be on the development p,an somewhere in the future. A fantastic app at excellent value.

Exactly why I purchased a used Mavic Pro Original. Mavic Air 2 leaves everyone GUESSING, WONDERING, HOPING, if DJI will release the code AND IF Mavic Air 2 has the 'Hardware/Software' ??? to do Litchi totally autonomous Waypoints. Pretty ridiculous! Not only does the ol Mavic Pro Original run autonomous waypoints by Litch perfectly, I did not have to spend more & more $$$ on a newer, better, more powerful, PHONE.

Been using the Maven app on iOS successfully for the last 2 years through its development which is always carried out very quickly when new functionality becomes available. The Geo Fencing is invaluable in tight spaces, great accuracy for waypoints, camera control on each waypoint is excellent, all in all a brilliant app and great value and you are provided with the functionality you need and not lots of functionality you do not need which in turn slows down development.
The only additional functionality that for me is not provided is the option to set altitude above ground but I am sure it will be on the development p,an somewhere in the future. A fantastic app at excellent value.
Which model IOS Phone do you use with Maven? I tried Dronelink with my IOS iPhone 8 Plus, & it did not work well, Was told by Dronelink, my phone was 'Probably' ??? not new enough. Come on man...!

I’ve been waiting patiently for Litchi to come out with full support (including Waypoints) for the Air2 but Litchi is still even struggling to provide Waypoints for the Mavic Mini1 and their status on Waypoints has been stuck in “coming soon” since around last August. Read that Dronelink had Air2 Waypoints beta support out for like 3days then pulled the plug. Being tired of waiting I went ahead and purchased this little known app: Maven for DJI Drones. It’s currently for iOS only (full release, not beta), supports autonomous Waypoints Missions for the Mini1 and Air2. I have a Mini1, an Air2 and an iPadMini5 so Maven seemed like the right fit. After testing the Maven app for 2days running my Mavic Mini1 thru several missions I felt confident enough to step the game up to the Air2. My thoughts: I’m very satisfied with my decision not to wait any longer for the other well known apps and feel Maven for DJI Drones hasn’t received the recognition it deserves.

I know people will probably complain that the Air2 can only run Waypoints by Virtual Sticks and that it can not complete the mission if there’s a loss of RC signal. The Air2 has OcuSync and I’ve range tested it in an open field 3.5mi out before turning back only due to battery limitations. So unless people want to create Waypoint Missions with distances beyond a 2mi radius there’s a very good chance the Air2 will maintain its RC signal thru their entire missions. I’d post a video of this Air2 test Waypoints Mission flight but I’m not so much into social media and don’t have a YouTube account.
Just got a reply from Michele Vagnetti on YouTube saying the Maven App only provides fully autonomous waypoints for drones running the DJI Go 4 App. So the MA2 cannot fly 'autonomous' missions, since it too uses the DJI Fly App.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Just got a reply from Michele Vagnetti on YouTube saying the Maven App only provides fully autonomous waypoints for drones running the DJI Go 4 App. So the MA2 cannot fly 'autonomous' missions, since it too uses the DJI Fly App.
i think that at some point dji will release the sdk that allows air 2 to do the autonomous missions. for sure it has more processing power than an old mavic pro or drones of the same line that already work with it

Who did you speak to? I spoke the the Maven tech support & they said they had done full testing with the MA2 with the latest FW and it was fine. Maybe I’m not understand what you mean by “autonomous “ missions?

Which model IOS Phone do you use with Maven? I tried Dronelink with my IOS iPhone 8 Plus, & it did not work well, Was told by Dronelink, my phone was 'Probably' ??? not new enough. Come on man...!

I use an iPhone 8+ when I have to but I mainly use my iPad mini 5 both on my MA1 and MA2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots