DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Batteries, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Pappy

Reactions
I have read some posts about Mavic Air 2 battery failures. It may be good to keep track of batteries which have not experienced any issues as well as those that have failed. If you care to participate, please post your battery's S/N, Mfg date found in Fly app (optional) and whether the battery is "OK" or has failed (reason optional). The data you provide will be added to a GSheet I have setup for you to view the latest data. This will help others in identifying potential battery issues.

Example Submission (S/N, Status, Mfg Date)
1Z3PH28EA000DQ,OK,2020-2
1Z3PH29EA006UG,OK,2020-1
1Z3PH29EA006X6,OK,2020-1

Current Listing Link - Mavic Air 2 - Battery Pass Fail

Battery S/N is located in red box or in the Fly app.

DSC00861_1.JPG

Why is it I can’t open any images that are attached to posts in this forum. I’m on an iPhone.
If you are trying to view the battery picture, then you may not be logged in to mavicpilots.com. When I tried from my Android phone (I do not have access to iOS) I could open the spreadsheet, but not the image because I was not not logged in.

All 3 of my MA2 batteries in the Combo pack were slightly swollen from day 1. No failures, but swollen batteries can lead to more swelling during use, from additional heat, potentially leading to a disconnect and a crash, leading to battery "failure." That has been the issue with all M2 batteries, many of which have started swelling starting 12 months after date of manufacture. Are you tracking swelling, as well, on MA2 batteries?

SerialManufacturedStatus
1Z3PH4BEA101NGApr 11th, 2020Ok
1Z3PH4GEA10AJ0Apr 16th, 2020Ok
1Z3PH4GEA10AJ2Apr 16th, 2020Ok
1Z3PH4HEA10CSFApr 17th, 2020Ok

Reactions: Mark Waco
I doubt there will be very many failures documented. Swelling would be a far better indication of potential failure.

Reactions: Lionfish
I may be out of line here ,
But isn’t this a manufacturers task to collect data from batteries that get returned due to whatever fault the battery is suffering from , warranty claims etc .
They then pass the findings onto the company that produces the batteries .

All 3 of my MA2 batteries in the Combo pack were slightly swollen from day 1. No failures, but swollen batteries can lead to more swelling during use, from additional heat, potentially leading to a disconnect and a crash, leading to battery "failure." That has been the issue with all M2 batteries, many of which have started swelling starting 12 months after date of manufacture. Are you tracking swelling, as well, on MA2 batteries?
The list isn't just for failures. Could you possibly provide the S/N of the sollen batteries and I'll add "Swollen Slightly, New" to the Comments column.

I doubt there will be very many failures documented. Swelling would be a far better indication of potential failure.
The list is for any condition the battery is in - no issues, swollen, burnt hole, melted, etc.

I may be out of line here ,
But isn’t this a manufacturers task to collect data from batteries that get returned due to whatever fault the battery is suffering from , warranty claims etc .
They then pass the findings onto the company that produces the batteries .
I'm sure there is a defect list INTERNALLY to DJI which the public will NEVER see, hence the need for a public one. With such a list you could then determine if the batteries you have may have potential catastrophic problems or you should be good to fly. From listing thus far, it looks like the first 7 characters of the S/N are the batch #.

Reactions: everBit
I can see the SR no at the back of Each battery, but the mfg date?

SR NOSTATUS
1Z3PH5EEA104NTOK
1Z3PH5CAE10BJ6OK
1Z3PH5DEA1082UOK

I've stopped using the charging hub, after noticing the fully charged battery ( first in line up) display all 4 leds momentarily, whilst the second battery was well into it's charging cycle.
It might also be prudent to monitor the Battery temperatures, every so often in flight. I'd start getting concerned iff they were going over 45c

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I've stopped using the charging hub, after noticing the fully charged battery ( first in line up) display all 4 leds momentarily, whilst the second battery was well into it's charging cycle.
It might also be prudent to monitor the Battery temperatures, every so often in flight. I'd start getting concerned iff they were going over 45c
The batteries are not charged in order of line up, but based upon the one with the highest charge to the least charged. Any time a new battery is added to the hub, all four ports must be checked to redetermine which battery has the highest charge, including those already charged, to determine which battery should now be charged first. Any battery at 96% charge (or higher) will be ignored.

The list isn't just for failures. Could you possibly provide the S/N of the sollen batteries and I'll add "Swollen Slightly, New" to the Comments column.
You'll end up with every new MA2 battery on the list, as I believe they are all slightly swollen when new, which is why DJI automatically bleeds them to 96% after 24 hours and to 60% after 5 days, and hibernates them if not charged within 24 hours of depletion. They also now have metal clips on the sides and check for complete clipping before launch, because of the slight swelling, which requires more attention than a completely flat new battery, like the M2 batteries were when brand new..

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
The batteries are not charged in order of line up, but based upon the one with the highest charge to the least charged. Any time a new battery is added to the hub, all four ports must be checked to redetermine which battery has the highest charge, including those already charged, to determine which battery should now be charged first. Any battery at 96% charge (or higher) will be ignored.
Mine are?. I can swop the order around and it always charges the one nearest the charger first and not the battery with least charge, which is why I don't use it. As you say it should charge the batteries according to state of discharge.

Mine are?. I can swop the order around and it always charges the one nearest the charger first and not the battery with least charge, which is why I don't use it. As you say it should charge the batteries according to state of discharge.
Mine works correctly. It does not charge the one with the least charge first. It charges the one with the highest charge first. If I add another battery to the hub with batteries already on it, the charging of the battery currently being charged is momentarily suspended until all connected batteries are re-polled, and then the one closest to full charge starts charging, which may or may not be the one that was previously charging. Goal is to get you a fully charged battery as quickly as possible.

I have read some posts about Mavic Air 2 battery failures. It may be good to keep track of batteries which have not experienced any issues as well as those that have failed. If you care to participate, please post your battery's S/N, Mfg date found in Fly app (optional) and whether the battery is "OK" or has failed (reason optional). The data you provide will be added to a GSheet I have setup for you to view the latest data. This will help others in identifying potential battery issues.

Example Submission (S/N, Status, Mfg Date)
1Z3PH28EA000DQ,OK,2020-2
1Z3PH29EA006UG,OK,2020-1
1Z3PH29EA006X6,OK,2020-1

Current Listing Link - Mavic Air 2 - Battery Pass Fail

Battery S/N is located in red box or in the Fly app.
I like that idea a lot!

Just an idea: wouldn't it make sense to add also the charging cycles the battery has had when listed in your sheet?
I am just thinking of the possibility that the (exterior) condition of the battery might change with more cycles...

AlleMan

Reactions: ATC Chilli
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242