DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Crash - Broken Gimbal and Leg

jimmyleon

Reactions
Hello all,

Over the weekend my drone hit some tree branches and dropped to the ground. The gimbal and front left leg are both damaged. The rest seems fine.
The camera will sit fully tilted with the right side down (if you're looking through the lens) I can't move the gimbal or calibrate. If I re-sit the camera in the gimbal, sometimes it will calibrate and look normal, and allow movement.
I don't really know why... I could have a go at gluing the arm back together... but don't want to do this yet in case it could be done under warranty. I've attached a photo.

Now, replacing them doesn't look too difficult except for the error that appears with it.

I've uploaded my logfile to Airdata and the txt file here.

Video:

When I pressed left, it didn't appear to move left or even slow down, until it hit the tree branches. When it was in the trees, it kept moving. Had it stayed still, I would have been able to either fly it out or catch it as I drop it. Instead it just kept moving

I can't see the stick movement on Airdata but it shows on the DJI app. I can record a video if you think that'll help.

My question is:
was it my doing or did something happen with the drone?
Is it normal that it moved without instruction while in the tree?

I would rather it be a fault with the drone than my fault, as the quote I was given by a company in the UK was just shy of £400 for just the gimbal... I'm confident replacing the parts myself if I have to.
Additionally, how much does DJI charge for a repair? There are no prices on their website.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help with this.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-07-04_[10-41-44].txt
    653 KB · Views: 3
  • gimbal.jpeg
    gimbal.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 22
That battery had never been charged? So it (and the drone) were brand new?
If so, sounds like a "infant" mortality/defect.

That battery had never been charged? So it (and the drone) were brand new?
If so, sounds like a "infant" mortality/defect.
It has definitely been charged.
I've had the drone since September 2020. I can't put an exact number of charges but under 30 times per battery for sure.

Sorry for your loss - instead get yourself a DJI Mini SE from Walmart $299 cheap fun - one of the best flying platforms for the money.

Miike

To repair (replace) the gimbal on the MA2 requires specialized software so is not usually a DIY item.

This is exactly what i mean. It does not pair the gimbal properly, you will still have errors. It "functions" but there is no telling what happens if DJI decides to block "functional" but not completely activated.

This is exactly what i mean. It does not pair the gimbal properly, you will still have errors. It "functions" but there is no telling what happens if DJI decides to block "functional" but not completely activated.

It's the cheapest option and a little message in the corner isn't going to bother me...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851