DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Crashed Into a Tree - Rookie Mistake

Mr. Skittles

Reactions
I was flying the drone in a pretty remote area in the CA Sierras and forgot I left my collision avoidance off from a previous flight (not that it would matter from the side) when I set it for an orbit QuickShot and just as I pressed the "go" I had this sinking feeling that the height of the drone was lower than a tree in a flight path. By the time I reached for the remote to stop it it was too late. The sucker got stuck in the top branches of a tree. I tried everything to get it down, ended up scratching myself pretty badly and nearly hurting myself in a pretty remote area. I have DJI Care Refresh but I wasn't able to retrieve the body so I'm guessing they won't do anything. Any advice? I'm resigned that I just lost $800 drone for good.

I was flying the drone in a pretty remote area in the CA Sierras and forgot I left my collision avoidance off from a previous flight (not that it would matter from the side) when I set it for an orbit QuickShot and just as I pressed the "go" I had this sinking feeling that the height of the drone was lower than a tree in a flight path. By the time I reached for the remote to stop it it was too late. The sucker got stuck in the top branches of a tree. I tried everything to get it down, ended up scratching myself pretty badly and nearly hurting myself in a pretty remote area. I have DJI Care Refresh but I wasn't able to retrieve the body so I'm guessing they won't do anything. Any advice? I'm resigned that I just lost $800 drone for good.
Sorry that you learned that lesson the very hard way. It must be a terrible feeling.

Unfortunately you are right in that without the drone itself, DJI will not replace it. If you explain the situation, they may offer you a discount on purchasing a new one. However it seems that especially during these pandemic times the phone wait times are incredibly long, so I don't know if it is worth your time to even try.

I hope you are back in the air quickly.

I feel you bro. Did you try to contact drone rescue or similar to other services that offer similar svcs? Thanks

How high up is it? Can you and a friend walk a ladder in there? Take a bow saw in case you need to cut a sapling for extra reach.

Its a long shot : But DJI can surprise at times.

Can you take a picture of your drone in the tree , it wont hurt to contact DJI and let them know your Situation .
let them know you have the Refresh and that you think it unwise to climb up the tree to get it.

You may not get everything you want but you may also get a Discount of sorts. You can resign after you try everything under the sun, paint ball gun, arrows, wicked storm, ect.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
here's an idea...if you can see it video where it is and tell DJI its damaged and you cant get it back ...shoot it out of the tree and send it in...

• Haha
Reactions: Squidinc
That's a bummer for sure....in a situation like that you need one of these......
Remember, all you need is the body for Refresh--and it can be totally mangled. Once you determine there's just other way to get it down in one piece, have at it with anything that might knock it loose....

I have used extension ladder before. Climb up and put a tie down strap to tree for stability.

I also have 10 ft or so sections of 3/4 or so PVC pipe to join as needed.

A bit of duct tape helps pipe sections stay together.

Be Safe.....it’s not worth a fall.

Attachments

• 57CCA790-1505-4760-AA41-A3324CEAE309.jpeg
    57CCA790-1505-4760-AA41-A3324CEAE309.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 38
Shoot it out! If you’re not a good shot, use a shotgun. All they need is what’s left of it. Better yet, shoot the branch. Best wishes on this one!

All great ideas, unfortunately I don’t own a gun or a shotgun...and certainly wouldn’t have carried one on a nature hike with only my drone, a sandwich and water. I tried knocking it out with a long branch but to no avail - it was literally on top of the Tree about 40 feet up. Frankly the only way I was able to spot it was to use the find my drone beeps and lights. There was no way for me to return to the spot once I was exhausted and went home to be yelled at by my wife for risking life and limb over a “toy”. I’ll submit the claim to DJI and see what happens but I hear their service and response times are spotty. Thanks for at least sympathizing with me!!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I did the same thing but was able cancel before it flew into a tree. Lessons learne but this was an expensive way to learn. Always check surroundings before hitting go button.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toninhostark