DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Crashed Question

hkninja

Reactions
Wife bought me the MA2 as father's day gift. Flew it a several times since and it is an amazing drone compare with the Mini.

Took the drone to the park to play with the active tracking. The drone locked in my 3-year-old daughter and followed her well. When my daughter started running toward the drone, MA2 flew backward and crashed itself into the light pole behind it. Collision avoidance was enable at all time. My wife, who was watching the drone while I was looking via my phone, said parts started to fly out of the drone before it hit the concrete floor. The gimbal is completely broken. I'm contacting DJI and hope this would be covered under the original warranty of " performance faults" as the drone was navigating itself. Do you think DJI will cover it or I'll have to use my REFRESH to cover the repair?

Attachments

• Air2.jpg
    Air2.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Wife bought me the MA2 as father's day gift. Flew it a several times since and it is an amazing drone compare with the Mini.

Took the drone to the park to play with the active tracking. The drone locked in my 3-year-old daughter and followed her well. When my daughter started running toward the drone, MA2 flew backward and crashed itself into the light pole behind it. Collusion avoidance was enable at all time. My wife, who was watching the drone while I was looking via my phone, said parts started to fly out of the drone before it hit the concrete floor. The gimbal is completely broken. I'm contacting DJI and hope this would be covered under the original warranty of " performance faults" as the drone was navigating itself. Do you think DJI will cover it or I'll have to use my REFRESH to cover the repair?

Because this is going to be considered pilot error , your most likely going to need to use the Refresh:
The drone is designed to back up in active track when you walk or run towards it to protect human life.

Active tracking takes some know how to really be able to use it , as we have all had mishaps when using active tracking until you get a feel for how it works and its limits.
The Refresh will work just fine but will take some patience and time to get back up and running.

Good Luck.
Phantommrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: hkninja
Thank you for the in
Because this is going to be considered pilot error , your most likely going to need to use the Refresh:
The drone is designed to back up in active track when you walk or run towards it to protect human life.

Active tracking takes some know how to really be able to use it , as we have all had mishaps when using active tracking until you get a feel for how it works and its limits.
The Refresh will work just fine but will take some patience and time to get back up and running.

Good Luck.
Phantommrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Thank you for your input on that, Phantommrain. I had a mini prior to MA2 and probably have way too much confidence in the collision avoidance feature. I don't think DJI will buy my reasoning, and glad that I have REFRESH. It is definitely an OUCH! seeing my brand new MA2 broken on the concrete floor. :(

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Thank you for the in

Thank you for your input on that, Phantommrain. I had a mini prior to MA2 and probably have way too much confidence in the collision avoidance feature. I don't think DJI will buy my reasoning, and glad that I have REFRESH. It is definitely an OUCH! seeing my brand new MA2 broken on the concrete floor. :(

One of the test we did on the Mavic 2 Active Track was to get it to follow a Phantom 4 in the sky, We learned pretty quickly with a bump or so that active track can be used but not quite freely : You have to baby sit the tracking for best results . Were getting ready to test the Air 2 and see if we get any better results on the Wingman Test

I used refresh for my MA2. Good experience. They will email you the flight record "evidence" if it was a malfunction or pilot error.

I used refresh for my MA2. Good experience. They will email you the flight record "evidence" if it was a malfunction or pilot error.
Thanks Jay. That's good to know. I was not controlling when it crashed itself into the light pole. It is arguable that collision avoidance failed or not. I can only hope for the best. I'm waiting for their tech support to come online at 9am their local time.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
OUCH! Good luck getting it fixed/replaced. I am no expert, but I understand your reasoning regarding collision avoidance not working. If it was in fact going directly backwards to avoid hitting in the front (when your son ran forward) one would think that the backward avoidance system would also kick in and at the very least go around the obstacle...here is a thought, is it possible that TWO avoidance events (Front and Rear) cannot work simultaneously - what a paradox - huh?

OUCH! Good luck getting it fixed/replaced. I am no expert, but I understand your reasoning regarding collision avoidance not working. If it was in fact going directly backwards to avoid hitting in the front (when your son ran forward) one would think that the backward avoidance system would also kick in and at the very least go around the obstacle...here is a thought, is it possible that TWO avoidance events (Front and Rear) cannot work simultaneously - what a paradox - huh?

Caught between a rock and a hard place?

Reactions: Geekser
Thanks all. Got my log file out. The log file showed that active track started at 30.8sec from take off and there was no joystick input since. Impact happened at approximately 1min 26secs. I am not sure what the "Flight mode: P-GPS" mean at the final seconds before the impact. I included the log file here for anyone that is interested to review.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-07-11_[11-09-19]csv.zip
    25.9 KB · Views: 11
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929