DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 decent problem

JmannIndy

Reactions
I've been flying for about a year and recently I'm having trouble while ascending or descending the drone.

It's doing 2 things, while ascending (using the left controller only and at 12:00 [mode 2]) the drone moves up and backwards. While descending it does the opposite, down and forward, both are almost a 45 degree up or down flight path, no left or right. The more stick I give it the more agressive the forward or backward the movement is. This started just before the last update. I have updated, re-calibrated the compass and re-calibrated the IMU. The incorrect flight path is still happening.

I can can fly up and down but then also have to correct by moving the drone forwards or backwards as needed, not good near trees or building.

I don't want to send it in for repair (it did not crash prior to this happening) and miss the summer while it's off to repair camp.

I am being careful with the controls to make sure I'm NOT touching the right stick while ascending or descending.

Thoughts Ideas, Suggestions. I have not been in touch DJI.

All help appreciated

Jim

Howdy Hoosier.:)

I flew a few a times the other day and was experiencing speed control problems with the controller switch.

By the third battery, it cleared up. Beats me.:rolleyes:

I know it's not the same problem, but you might check the settings in the app concerning sideways movement.

Depending on the O.A. selected, sideways flight may be disabled if the switch is flipped.

Screenshot_20210616-164349.pngScreenshot_20210616-164330.png

I have updated, re-calibrated the compass and re-calibrated the IMU. The incorrect flight path is still happening.
The compass and IMU won't have any influence on the behaviour you described.
Perhaps the joystick calibration might.

But rather than just attempting things at random, hoping something works, it's always best to identify the cause of the issue and then address that.

Post the recorded flight data from a recent flight that showed this issue.
That will confirm whether there's an issue with your joystick calibration, and if mot, it might help narrow down the search for the cause.

Reactions: Capt KO
I'll do both. I'll upload the data and calibrate.

Is there list of instructions for uploading the info?

Thanks,

Jim

I'll do both. I'll upload the data and calibrate.

Is there list of instructions for uploading the info?

Thanks,

Jim
I have uploaded the file DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Short flight. Up and down in Tripod, Normal, and Sport. No problem! then I made a 4th flight, stopped at about 50' I rotated 360 degrees. Then when I went up it moved backwards at the same time.

Now I will try the stick calibration. We're headed to Ohio for a vacation with family and hope to fly.

Jim

Short flight. Up and down in Tripod, Normal, and Sport. No problem! then I made a 4th flight, stopped at about 50' I rotated 360 degrees. Then when I went up it moved backwards at the same time.
Is that data from the 4th flight?
It shows the drone maintaining vertical movement every time you push the left joystick up or down.
I can't find any sign of moving forward or backward connected with throttle inputs.

It also appears that the joysticks are properly calibrated.
There's no bias in any direction when the sticks are centred.

It was one flight with 4 vertical ascents. During the 4th trip up I saw the backwards movement. I hope that's more clear.

Jim
Here's what that flight data looks like in Airdata:

I think I've identified the ascent you described.
4th climb at 293.6 to 305.4 sec
From 20.7 to 56.4 ft
Dist from home start of climb 11.2 ft ... end 10.9 ft
Horizontal speed during ascent was zero mph with only a couple of blips at 0.2mph

No sign of any backwards or forward movement in excess of the specified hovering accuracy for this model.
The data doesn't show anything to indicate the drone was moving significantly in the horizontal plane while ascending during this flight.

It was one flight with 4 vertical ascents. During the 4th trip up I saw the backwards movement. I hope that's more clear.

Jim
Neat picture. That's similar to what I remember.
Here's what that flight data looks like in Airdata:

I think I've identified the ascent you described.
4th climb at 293.6 to 305.4 sec
From 20.7 to 56.4 ft
Dist from home start of climb 11.2 ft ... end 10.9 ft
Horizontal speed during ascent was zero mph with only a couple of blips at 0.2mph

No sign of any backwards or forward movement in excess of the specified hovering accuracy for this model.
The data doesn't show anything to indicate the drone was moving significantly in the horizontal plane while ascending during this flight.
I need to learn how to do this and read the info

I'll try to fly in the next few days and make a note of the day and time of any incidents, then you'll have more accurate information to match with the data. I truly appreciate your time and don't want to waste it by guessing wrong. The flight I sent was the most recent one that I thought had the problem.

Thank you so much for your help.

Jim

Reactions: Meta4
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ENJOYBIKE