DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 Fell straight down and crashed

walkmnn

Reactions
Good afternoon fellow flyers,
I’ve looked through the posts and it seems like it’s an issue several people are having. Here is my story and I hope DJI makes good.
I was out in the desert flying doing scenics and timelapse. Powered up the drone and controller. Ran it’s checks, home point updated please confirm, CONFIRMED. Take of permitted. Launched drone and hovered to check exposure and flight controls. Flew drone into position to start filming. Drone was about 100 feet away at about 50 feet high. Framed shot, hit record and then a warning sound and the drone fell out of sky. Straight down. CRASH!! The camera and gimbal popped off, battery still attached and power still on but blades stopped. The SD media card got corrupt and media lost. I can’t get the drone and controller to communicate so I can’t see what happened or get flight info. I’m going to call DJI Monday to see what can be done. It had to be mechanical because the drone was at hover when it fell out of the sky.
I’ll keep you posted. I’ve heard DJI is great about their customer service.
Walkmnn

I’ve looked through the posts and it seems like it’s an issue several people are having. Here is my story and I hope DJI makes good.
I was out in the desert flying doing scenics and timelapse. Powered up the drone and controller. Ran it’s checks, home point updated please confirm, CONFIRMED. Take of permitted. Launched drone and hovered to check exposure and flight controls. Flew drone into position to start filming. Drone was about 100 feet away at about 50 feet high. Framed shot, hit record and then a warning sound and the drone fell out of sky. Straight down. CRASH!! The camera and gimbal popped off, battery still attached and power still on but blades stopped. The SD media card got corrupt and media lost. I can’t get the drone and controller to communicate so I can’t see what happened or get flight info. I’m going to call DJI Monday to see what can be done. It had to be mechanical because the drone was at hover when it fell out of the sky.
Walkmnn
Do you have"auto-upload" enabled for your flight logs.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Walkmnn

When you say warning sound, can you elaborate was that a beep ? Or verbal or Pop up.
Ruling out the battery for now . were you taking off from the ground ?

Thinking sand in the Props and stress on the motor warning.

When you say warning sound, can you elaborate was that a beep ? Or verbal or Pop up.

I believe the guy said the drone is 100' away and 50' high - airboned.

With so many reported unusual incidents on MA2, there seems to be an airworthiness issue on the drone - mechanical or firmware.

It was a hand launch due to the dusty ground. Most of the time I do hand launches. I then hover to check all systems before I fly. There was no wind so no dust in the air. I think it was a red or orange prompt came up with voice GPS signal weak. But as you can see there were 17 satelights. It happened so fast. Hovering setting exposures and shot, to hit the ground.
trying to see how I can open the flight data logs.

With so many reported unusual incidents on MA2, there seems to be an airworthiness issue on the drone - mechanical or firmware.
I like the general statements without data to back it up.

I been watching and wait to see if this is true...... still waiting.

He is a general statement. There is always some hardware failures and a whole lot of pilot errors.

That is why DJI made it so you can retrieve the "data."

I like the general statements without data to back it up.

He is a general statement. There is always some hardware failures and a whole lot of pilot errors.

That is why DJI made it so you can retrieve the "data."
100 thumbs ups.

All I've seen is pilot error, or hardware failure that was replaced under warranty.

Guys until you see his logs there is only going to be speculation on this.
@walkmnn please post them if you want this thread to continue.

Guys until you see his logs there is only going to be speculation on this.
@walkmnn please post them if you want this thread to continue.
I’m trying to post them today. I’m trying to see how to do it. I want to know exactly what happened. If it was pilot error, then I Hope to learn something. I have to work today so by tonight I will upload them. Is this the correct one.
Thanks for your patients
Walkmnn

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-07-11_[05-57-40].txt
    337.8 KB · Views: 51
All the data just sharply cut off while the craft was hovering 56 meters away from the home point. Battery good, radio good. Seems that the craft just suddenly lost all battery power. Was the battery still clipped to the drone after the crash ? Can the battery still be turned on ?

Last edited:
I’m trying to post them today. I’m trying to see how to do it. I want to know exactly what happened. If it was pilot error, then I Hope to learn something. I have to work today so by tonight I will upload them. Is this the correct one.
Thanks for your patients
Walkmnn

It's the correct log, but it just stops mid-flight, with no indication of any problem. The aircraft was in a stationary hover at 22 meters at the end of the log, with no anomalous indications. This has happened to several MA2s, and most likely indicates an FC process crash.

Battery.png

All the data just sharply cut off while the craft was hovering 56 meters away from the home point. Battery good, radio good. Seems that the craft just suddenly lost all battery power. Was the battery still clipped to the drone after the crash ? Can the battery be still powered on ?

I don't think these are power failures. Those were common enough on some other Mavics and were almost always triggered by abrupt flight maneuvers, but the MA2 events don't have that signature.

Reactions: Capt KO and Paulf10
I am a newbie and spend several hours a day reading on Mavic Pilots to learn. I want to thank the OP and all who have responded with comments and advice as I hope it will help me become a better pilot in time. I also hope this NEVER Happens to me - to the OP - hope you can get a replacement

All the data just sharply cut off while the craft was hovering 56 meters away from the home point. Battery good, radio good. Seems that the craft just suddenly lost all battery power. Was the battery still clipped to the drone after the crash ? Can the battery still be turned on ?
Yes the battery was still clipped in. The lights were flashing and I was getting camera signal even though the gimbal had broken but the cables were still attached. There was no battery warning. I’m telling you, this was a fluke incident.

As said, nothing abnormal is found in the .TXT log ...besides that it stops in mid air. Possibly the mobile device .DAT can give us more to go on ... retrieve the one that ends with FLY041.DAT. See here on how to (section 3.) --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide
Here are the flight records and logs. Sorry it won’t let me up load logs. I uploaded to AIRDATA and ran the logs and all GREEN. Everything was fine until it wasn’t.
I’m off to work. I’ll try later. PLEASE DONT REMOVE THIS THREAD. I’m trying to get what is needed to help.
Walkmnn

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-07-11_[05-57-40].txt
    337.8 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: hiflyer201
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member