DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 finally bit the dust, literally.

dlearyous

Reactions
I finally brought my Air 2 on holiday with me after checking up on drone laws, etc and got some awesome photos until a rough crash landing this afternoon.

Earlier today when lifting from my hand I noticed that it tried to take off almost sideways and ended up holding it until it felt like it was lifting ‘correctly’. Then this afternoon forgot the previous behavior and tried to lift as normal and the drone immediately dove sideways and crash landed which left the gimbal hanging by wires.

I snapped the gimbal back in place and tried lifting which was no problem at all but the gimbal was giving all sorts of error messages though was showing a very angled picture.

Does anyone by looking at these pictures know which part I need to replace and where best to buy it?3B8331C6-3C52-43E9-96EA-FBC47A15929F.jpeg
AFF391EF-9691-438D-8CD6-1C937AC0FC8D.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Tufargon
At a guess the bearing or motor needs to be accurately aligined to get the orientation/angle correct.
You will probably have to pop the motor/bearing out again and look very carefully for alignment marks on the bearing or motor and on/in its housing.
There may also be glue marks etc. that match up.

Whether or not the housing will stand the second separation is another matter and if the motor pops out easily you may need to use a good glue, in carefully places smears, to secure the motor in its housing.
I have no idea if that will fix the gimbal errors but its a starting point.

I would also suggest you post the flight log for the crash flight in an attampt to trace the reason for the wonky flying.
Have a look at the instructions on the webpage DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help for finding the log, post the log to that webpage and copy & paste the resulting URL here.

I finally brought my Air 2 on holiday with me after checking up on drone laws, etc and got some awesome photos until a rough crash landing this afternoon.

Earlier today when lifting from my hand I noticed that it tried to take off almost sideways and ended up holding it until it felt like it was lifting ‘correctly’. Then this afternoon forgot the previous behavior and tried to lift as normal and the drone immediately dove sideways and crash landed which left the gimbal hanging by wires.

I snapped the gimbal back in place and tried lifting which was no problem at all but the gimbal was giving all sorts of error messages though was showing a very angled picture.

Does anyone by looking at these pictures know which part I need to replace and where best to buy it?View attachment 153086
View attachment 153087
Save yourself a lot of aggravation and send it in to dji.

At a guess the bearing or motor needs to be accurately aligined to get the orientation/angle correct.
You will probably have to pop the motor/bearing out again and look very carefully for alignment marks on the bearing or motor and on/in its housing.
There may also be glue marks etc. that match up.

Whether or not the housing will stand the second separation is another matter and if the motor pops out easily you may need to use a good glue, in carefully places smears, to secure the motor in its housing.
I have no idea if that will fix the gimbal errors but its a starting point.

I would also suggest you post the flight log for the crash flight in an attampt to trace the reason for the wonky flying.
Have a look at the instructions on the webpage DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help for finding the log, post the log to that webpage and copy & paste the resulting URL here.
Just got home and was able to download the flightlog. Here is the url:

I would be very appreciative if you could take a look and see if I should just send it in or try and fix it myself.

There are reports of DJI 'repairs' performed by DJI themselves being very reasonable, " 'repair' " because the repairs are often a swap for a new or refurbished drone.

There are reports of DJI 'repairs' performed by DJI themselves being very reasonable, " 'repair' " because the repairs are often a swap for a new or refurbished drone.
I just put up a post in a local DJI forum as I'm living in Sweden and not sure about what the 'locals' have for experience. I do have a guy saying that he will fix it for around 100€ plus parts which sounds pretty reasonable.

The problem being, what parts does he charge you for?
Does he carry a stock of known to be good parts that he can use to test the drone and then charge the cost for the bit that is defective or does he buy what he suspects is the defective part and charge you for that, then, if that wasn't the problem buy another part, and add that to the cost etc. etc.?

Best to clarify his methodology before you choose.

Just got home and was able to download the flightlog. Here is the url:
Sorry, but the flight was so brief and covered a very short distance at low speed and it's not easy to see what happened or even to identify a problem from the data.

Reactions: dlearyous
You can repair/replace, however given the 'odd' take off happened twice it is bound to happen again. I think you need to address what is causing the take off to be 'faulty' or you will be back in this same situation again soon.

Reactions: dlearyous
You can repair/replace, however given the 'odd' take off happened twice it is bound to happen again. I think you need to address what is causing the take off to be 'faulty' or you will be back in this same situation again soon.
I agree. this is the first thing that needs to be adressed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143