Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Floatation Device.

Squidinc

I come from a land “down under”
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
youtu.be
Looking for input on this MA2 floatation device available on eBay. I am thinking of buying one,and would greatly appreciate the forum’s opinions. Does anyone have one, or have used one? Do you think it would save the drone in a water crash?

Attachments

• IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    629.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    448.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    565.7 KB · Views: 108
Looking for input on this MA2 floatation device available on eBay. I am thinking of buying one,and would greatly appreciate the forum’s opinions.
Great if you want to land and take off on a pond.
Lousy if you want the drone to fly properly.
Do you think it would save the drone in a water crash?
What do you mean by save?
In a fall-from-the-sky incident, the drone is unlikely to land right side up and stay dry.
The floats may or may not stay attached.
Then you'd have to find a way to get to where the wreckage is.

If you do buy it, it would be very interesting to get some numbers on how much it decreases the performance of the drone.
The sellers are usually reluctant to give that information.

I purchased those floats and tried them once. There was a little breeze and the MA2 was all over the place. I never used them again.
This is what I was thinking. That pretty much answers it for me as a “no go”.

Last edited:
I have read of a lot of drones lost in the water from oceans, lakes, ponds, and rivers. I live on a lake and I will not fly over it until I bought a floating device.
The one your posting will keep it from sinking but will not keep it upright.
Coal is selling a rescue jacket which he has made several videos show how well it function.
You can contact him on this forum his user name is Phantomrain.org
You can land and take off from water.
This one will cost more but so will replacing or repairing your drone.IMG_20200716_153957.jpg
Notice that it also has on the Wet suit. This will make sure no water will get into battery compartment.

all these devices whether they are keeping the drone from getting wet or attempting to float instead of sinking have one thing in common, they unfortunately do have a negative effect on the drones flight time and performance that does not mean, that in certain situations they can make a difference to the outcome,if a water landing happens ,and from a commercial point of view, if the job required the drone to fly over water they can give a level of protection, the only real advantage of having a floatation device fitted for the hobby flier, is that it could make it possible to retrieve the drone, and then send it in for a refresh claim

all these devices whether they are keeping the drone from getting wet or attempting to float instead of sinking have one thing in common, they unfortunately do have a negative effect on the drones flight time and performance that does not mean, that in certain situations they can make a difference to the outcome,if a water landing happens ,and from a commercial point of view, if the job required the drone to fly over water they can give a level of protection, the only real advantage of having a floatation device fitted for the hobby flier, is that it could make it possible to retrieve the drone, and then send it in for a refresh claim
How many post have you seen where the drone was lost in some kind of water?

Yes there is less flight time but I have not found any performance problems yet.
I still am not taking a chance on not have it on when flying over the water.

These things help only if used together with DJI care because the chance for the wreckage to be recovered is higher. That's assuming that the flotation device will not get torn off upon impact and water current will not carry the drone away before it is retrieved.

Reactions: old man mavic
Your drone is at much at risk of falling from the sky over water as it is over solid ground.
Either way the drone is toast.
You cannot get your toast back from the bottom of the lake or ocean to return it for DJI refresh.
Or even to attempt to repair it.

These things help only if used together with DJI care because the chance for the wreckage to be recovered is higher. That's assuming that the flotation device will not get torn off upon impact and water current will not carry the drone away before it is retrieved.
For those floatie contraptions to provide the security their users hope for, they must only fly very, very close to shore or have a boat on standby each time they fly.
Almost all my flying is over the sea and I'd prefer my drone is able to use its full speed and resist the wind than handicap it with one of those.
I know that if the drone comes down, it doesn't matter whether it floats or not.

I use a GetterBack for recovery of my mini. Only because of Care Refresh. My phantoms are old, so they are welcome to sink. Not planning any water landings until my waterproof Gannet drone arrives.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
they're nice an bright ..you should be able to locate the wreckage. It'll be hanging directly below those orange bobbing thingamajigs..:( attach a lanyard to at least one of them

I have refresh so I only care about recovery. I've used a 20oz Gatorade bottle zip tied to the top. About the same length as the drone and is out of the prop-wash. IMG_1522.JPGDidn't notice flight time impact, but I'm guessing a windy day would impact it. The bottles have flat sides, so it stays put

I have refresh so I only care about recovery. I've used a 20oz Gatorade bottle zip tied to the top. About the same length as the drone and is out of the prop-wash. View attachment 110886Didn't notice flight time impact, but I'm guessing a windy day would impact it. The bottles have flat sides, so it stays put
You sir, are a genius.

...but I hope I never travel in anything you made ! :)

One of the Benefits of the Rescue Jacket that we designed was that it offers almost 3000 ft visual line of sight during the day, That was nice added benefit for flying anywhere during the day when line of sight is going to be critical.

You loose about 6 minutes of flight time on a windy day with the Mavic Rescue Jacket but nothing on how the drone performs.

Screenshot 09-26-2020 14.21.14.jpg

One other note that is interesting : If you just look at the number of posts just this month of drones that fell into the Water is staggering
and yet almost all of them fell into the water within 50 ft of the pilot. Either just starting the flight out or coming back. to them.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the rain and float on water.

Last edited:
I lost my Mavic Air by clipping a channel marker about 50 feet away from my launch site. It quickly sunk to the bottom of the ICW.

Large boat traffic, 6 inches of visibility, and a swift current made recovery impossible.

But... This WILL NEVER happen again. I now own a Rescue Jacket, also from @Phantomrain.org

I may never use it to land on the water, but knowing my drone is unSINKable after the unTHINKable is worth the money and 6 less minutes of flight.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580