DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Fly Away: Wont decrease altitude, slowly gaining altitude

Billbo

Reactions
Had my first panic while flying my Mavic air 2. At 420ft I hit low clouds, the control suddenly wont respond to decrease altitude of the drone, I go blind, it then says the drone is landing, I cancel that command. The drone on its own starts rising up a casual pace and refuses to go down despite me holding down on the stick (currently 500ft now). For one moment the drone responds and drops down to 430ft, and then start rising on its own. Return to home works for a moment, and then the drone continues gaining altitude on its own. I am trying to bring it down in sport mode, but it wont respond, and then finally it only will decrease altitude a couple feet. Final the return to home brings it down to a height that I can see it, and I manually gain control and bring it down with the controls functioning again. Phew. Flight log shows the drone gaining altitude without the controls being applied, as well as the drone gaining altitude while the decend control is being pressed.

Anyone who can let me know what might have happend, would be awesome! I am too scared to fly it again!

Anyone who can let me know what might have happend, would be awesome! I am too scared to fly it again!
I have some ideas but would need to see the recorded flight data to confirm.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
The flight log will likely confirm, but the problem here is almost certainly that the downward sensor is confused by the cloud into thinking that it is just above the ground. At that point full down throttle will trigger forced landing.

As @Meta4 suggested - post the flight log for a definitive answer.

I hit low clouds
We'd need to see the flight log to be sure, but this probably caused the issue. When the downward sensors detect something near the bottom of the drone mid-flight (like clouds), the drone will auto ascend. And holding the throttle stick down during those cases will make the drone auto land.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair