DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 lost

MAGNUSSUPRCHRGR

Reactions
Hi everyone I’m new to this, trying to cut a long story short I was conducting a hyperlapse video which I always like to do with my Mavic air 2 and for some reason I noticed when it got to 140/175 the rate at which it took the pictures slowed down significantly.

After it completed the hyperlapse the camera got stuck on the last frame of the hyperlapse so I was stuck looking at the highway. I tried moving the drone around hoping to get visuals through the camera but couldn’t.

At 20% the drone decided to automatically RTH I was still at that point trying to move the drone around so therefore cancelled the RTH, I desperately flew it manually to try and get it home until it hit 13%. This is where the second RTH kicked in so I left the controller and let the drone do it’s thing.

It came closer to the home point by about 50m then was increasing to the RTH altitude of 110m. Then all of a sudden I noticed the rapid loss of altitude and ended up the drone being stuck in a tree and I don’t know which one it’s in. I’m sure it had enough battery to get home as I was only 200m away.

If anyone knows how to get a KML file up into google earth that would be great. I was speaking to a bloke called Pat and that’s the advice he gave me, cheers everyone

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear of your drone's accident. If you already have the kml file and have Google Earth installed on your computer here is what you do:

1. Place the kml file in an easily accessible folder.
2. Open Google Earth.
3. Click "File" at upper left corner of Google Earth window.
4. Choose "Open", go to the folder where you placed the kml, select the kml.
5. It will be placed under "Temporary Places" in the Google Earth side bar.
6. Check the boxes next to the kml file's name in temporary places so it becomes visible. Zoom in until you get the view you want.
7. Move the kml out of temporary places before you quite Google Earth or you'll have to do the upload again.
8. Once the kml is moved out of temporary places, go back to File and choose save then My Places. That way the kml should be available the next time you open Google Earth.

The process is different for Google Earth on the web, but I don't know that process so I can't help!

Good luck,

Howard

Reactions: SlugHead
Post the flight logs here and someone might be able to help pinpoint the location.
If you have AirData, if you upload the flight logs, you can then download the kml file from there and the open on google earth.

If anyone knows how to get a KML file up into google earth that would be great. I was speaking to a bloke called Pat and that’s the advice he gave me, cheers everyone
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Even if that looks like an empty report, come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Someone (probably me) will be able to give you the kml file and also information about what happened to cause the incident.

unfortunately I don’t know how to get the KML file I’m assuming that’s different to a flight log record?
A kml file is a Google Earth file - it's quite different from the flight record.
If you follow what I posted in post #5, I can get a kml file for you and possible some better information.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Sorry to hear about your MA2. I hope you can find it. Every drone operators nightmare, except of course, severe lacerations across a bystanders face.

Hi everyone I’m new to this, trying to cut a long story short I was conducting a hyperlapse video which I always like to do with my Mavic air 2 and for some reason I noticed when it got to 140/175 the rate at which it took the pictures slowed down significantly.

After it completed the hyperlapse the camera got stuck on the last frame of the hyperlapse so I was stuck looking at the highway. I tried moving the drone around hoping to get visuals through the camera but couldn’t.

At 20% the drone decided to automatically RTH I was still at that point trying to move the drone around so therefore cancelled the RTH, I desperately flew it manually to try and get it home until it hit 13%. This is where the second RTH kicked in so I left the controller and let the drone do it’s thing.

It came closer to the home point by about 50m then was increasing to the RTH altitude of 110m. Then all of a sudden I noticed the rapid loss of altitude and ended up the drone being stuck in a tree and I don’t know which one it’s in. I’m sure it had enough battery to get home as I was only 200m away.

So sorry brother. My Old Mini 2 still is perched high atop a 100 ft. Tree limb since last December. I’ve been hoping for it to fall out ( I have care refresh coverage) so I can send in. I still submitted it as a “ flyaway situation and DJI got back to me and said the data indicated I took manual control and therefore it being in tree isn’t covered under any coaches! I’m furious as they can clearly tell where it is and still won’t honor the coverage... oh but they were sooo kind to tell me that since it is still stuck and not covered, they will give me 15% off BUYING a NEW ONE. REALLY!
I get that ppl can take advantage and recover there drone later then get it replaced twice if the diff to have me sending in my old damaged one. But they clearly know it is damaged and in the tree still. But won’t honor coverage. I think it is a case by case basis and what they did to me in mine is wrong. Hoping it may go better for u as it sounds like the drone has a fault that caused this for you. But For now, I’m experimenting with different ideas to shhoot a line up over branch to b able to pull on and shake limb to free mine. At this time I think I will be trying a POTATO GUN approach as the bow and arrow with attached fishing line was a failure. I’ll let u know if this is a successful way to get her doewn assuming u have refresh coverage. So sorry for your loss. It does sting a bit ,yes?!
good luck.

A kml file is a Google Earth file - it's quite different from the flight record.
If you follow what I posted in post #5, I can get a kml file for you and possible some better information.
Welcome to the forum @MAGNUSSUPRCHRGR!

What @Meta4 is asking is typical on the forum, as a few will be able to provide useful information to you. Essentially they’ll try to determine and explain what happened, so that you, me and others may learn from analysis. Oftentimes they’ll help you narrow down your search radius.

So sad,,, sorry to say i don't know how to get a KML file.

So sad,,, sorry to say i don't know how to get a KML file.
The OP has been told how to get the kml file he wanted as well as more useful information.
But as is often the case, he hasn't bothered himself with simple instructions to get what he asked for and hasn't been back to the forum for several days.

Reactions: SchOX
I still submitted it as a “ flyaway situation and DJI got back to me and said the data indicated I took manual control and therefore it being in tree isn’t covered under any coaches! I’m furious as they can clearly tell where it is and still won’t honor the coverage. ... But they clearly know it is damaged and in the tree still. But won’t honor coverage. I think it is a case by case basis and what they did to me in mine is wrong.
What DJI did is exactly in line with the terms and conditions of the Care Refresh policy.
You have to send back the drone to get a replacement.
It wasn't until January that they introduced an additional form of cover which would have worked for you (but costs more).

So sorry brother. My Old Mini 2 still is perched high atop a 100 ft. Tree limb since last December. I’ve been hoping for it to fall out ( I have care refresh coverage) so I can send in. I still submitted it as a “ flyaway situation and DJI got back to me and said the data indicated I took manual control and therefore it being in tree isn’t covered under any coaches! I’m furious as they can clearly tell where it is and still won’t honor the coverage... oh but they were sooo kind to tell me that since it is still stuck and not covered, they will give me 15% off BUYING a NEW ONE. REALLY!
I get that ppl can take advantage and recover there drone later then get it replaced twice if the diff to have me sending in my old damaged one. But they clearly know it is damaged and in the tree still. But won’t honor coverage. I think it is a case by case basis and what they did to me in mine is wrong. Hoping it may go better for u as it sounds like the drone has a fault that caused this for you. But For now, I’m experimenting with different ideas to shhoot a line up over branch to b able to pull on and shake limb to free mine. At this time I think I will be trying a POTATO GUN approach as the bow and arrow with attached fishing line was a failure. I’ll let u know if this is a successful way to get her doewn assuming u have refresh coverage. So sorry for your loss. It does sting a bit ,yes?!
good luck.
Buy yourself a .22 pellet rifle. Shoot the drone out of the tree. Aim for center mass.

Reactions: Eaglesky77
What DJI did is exactly in line with the terms and conditions of the Care Refresh policy.
You have to send back the drone to get a replacement.
It wasn't until January that they introduced an additional form of cover which would have worked for you (but costs more).
Thanks Meta. I understand that. I do. I may be wrong, but read the terms and conditions and thought I recalled if purchasing it when it came out it could be applied to past incident prior to rolling out the flyaway coverage. That’s what occurred and I , I think understanding ( or perhaps misunderstanding) that it was retroactive, then it as a flyaway would be replaceable. But no. The issue they said is not that the drone flyaway was not available when incident occurred, instead that incident did not meet the definition of “ flyaway” basically. So my question is what is the definition of “flyaway”? I paid for additional flyaway coverage as a drone was lost in a situation where winds worked against me and drone exited the smart flight mode in shooting a “ helix “ video, I then took manual control as it hovered and wind was blowing it near the tree limbs and at that instant it dropped altitude and hit tree. Camera gimble is clearly damaged And seen hanging by wire harness with no video transmission after incident. So it is damaged due to pilot error and unrecoverable. But verifiable damage and loss location/ altitude is clear , but still it is not covered bc it isn’t technically a “ flyaway”. I assumed wrongly that a company of enormous profits which dominates a constant growing drone market would want to retain loyal customers and if it means replacing a drone known to be damaged and unrecoverable with a refurbished aircraft costing them likely less than $100 minus the premium paid for coverage then it is worth it to give up a financially “break even “financial circumstance by replacing this drone in mind knowing that I will be much more likely to buy from them again if I trust they go out of the way to honor the contract and the customer. But I must be wrong. They perhaps are such a large company now that they lost that touch of keeping loyal customers’ by honoring flyaway situations even if benefit of the doubt required, bc it is financially better for both parties involved. But instead it seems a lot of depertmental bureaucracy “ red tape” allows no such thing anymore. I remember when dji was not so big and would have acted differently. But either way it is what it is and I do see your point. But I just say this to point out they were clear it wAs not replaceable not bc flyaway coverage was purchased later than incident, but that it doesn’t meet definition of “ flyaway.” So all that nonsense to say, “ can anyone clarify the definition of “ flyaway “ as it pertains to the coverage and what is and is not covered?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada