DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 (MA 2) & LAANC

IndianaDrones

Reactions
As I understand it, there currently is no way to obtain "on the spot" LAANC approval through any of the available mobile apps because MA 2 is on the DJI Fly platform and not DJI Go?

I've spent so much time searching and watching tutorials that dont apply AND tons of posts about "..SDK this and that..." I am starting to realize for commercial pilots, the MA 2 is not a viable platform at the moment.

Please tell me I am ignorant and there is an alternative?

Thanks pilots!!
-Cody

Last edited:
Use Airmap or Kittyhawk for LAANC approval. There's no connection between "LAANC approval" and "DJI Flysafe."

I'm a Part 107 pilot, and I fly an MA2 with LAANC approval pretty much every day - since I live under a Class B shelf.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Use Airmap or Kittyhawk for LAANC approval. There's no connection between "LAANC approval" and "DJI Flysafe."

I'm a Part 107 pilot, and I fly an MA2 with LAANC approval pretty much every day - since I live under a Class B shelf.

Neither app gives me those options when I select the right menus/buttons for any tutorials I have watched.

Like for Kittyhawk you should be able to click the plus icon and get the option you need to submit a request. Mine only has 2 options (see attached).

Let me be clear, this is to request for a recreational flyer at the moment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200817-153721_Kittyhawk.jpg
    Screenshot_20200817-153721_Kittyhawk.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 13
Kittyhawk won't give you an option to get LAANC approval if you're not in a place that requires it. For example, here's Kittyhawk at my regular flight area - which is under a Class B, and *definitely* requires LAANC to fly legally.

IMG_0145.jpg

Ah the only time I have tested it was in Class D which had a 100 foot restriction. Shouldn't that have done it?

Thanks!

It should have. When you open Kittyhawk, there should be an icon somewhere across the bottom for Airspace Authorization (Maps). Tap that. Then drag the little bar up from the bottom for Lat/Long, and you should see a "Get Authorization" checkbox. Tap that. Bob's yer uncle.

...unless, for some reason, you haven't set up a Kittyhawk account yet? You can't apply for authorization without one.

Reactions: dawgpilot
It should have. When you open Kittyhawk, there should be an icon somewhere across the bottom for Airspace Authorization (Maps). Tap that. Then drag the little bar up from the bottom for Lat/Long, and you should see a "Get Authorization" checkbox. Tap that. Bob's yer uncle.

...unless, for some reason, you haven't set up a Kittyhawk account yet? You can't apply for authorization without one.
Screenshot_20200817-181345_Kittyhawk.jpgScreenshot_20200817-181257_Kittyhawk.jpg

KIWA doesn't have LAANC yet. You'll need to file for a CoA via DroneZone.

Here's the list of airports that do LAANC:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest