DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Range Issues

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
Hey guys, a few days ago I posted about range issues with my Mavic Air 2. At the time, the best I could manage was just over 500m. Someone helpfully suggested flying in Airplane Mode, and that got me up to 700+ (Up to 900m in one instance). But it's still nothing like the advertised range.

I've spoken to DJI, and they've given me some troubleshooting tips, which I'm working my way through now. If they don't work, they've advised me to send it back for repair.

But one tip they gave was to "Please adjust the antenna during the flight.". I thought they were built into the phone holder? Not sure how to "adjust them".

Help appreciated. :)

Send the drone for warranty or double check your configuration because the Mavic Air 2 is the most powerful drone in signal.

Reactions: VisualFeast
I have an MA2 that is three months old. No range issues. Few out a couple miles last week. The limitation was battery life.

FYI

Hey guys, a few days ago I posted about range issues with my Mavic Air 2. At the time, the best I could manage was just over 500m. Someone helpfully suggested flying in Airplane Mode, and that got me up to 700+ (Up to 900m in one instance). But it's still nothing like the advertised range.

I've spoken to DJI, and they've given me some troubleshooting tips, which I'm working my way through now. If they don't work, they've advised me to send it back for repair.

But one tip they gave was to "Please adjust the antenna during the flight.". I thought they were built into the phone holder? Not sure how to "adjust them".

I have an MA2 that is three months old. No range issues. Few out a couple miles last week. The limitation was battery life.

FYI
Well, that is not a limitation. That is the best battery life in a Mavic drone from DJI.

In low-interference environment, local pilots have done 11 km with MA2 with absolutely no issue. FCC mode, stock antenna + mod battery

Reactions: ninja_geezer

Location: Are you in an urban area or neighborhood? A lot of ambient wifi will degrade your signal.

Transmission setting: Is it set to auto?

Interference: Things between you and the drone will degrade the signal. Go somewhere with a clear line of sight and see how far you can get.

I personally live in the neighborhood. I can get a good distance but much better when i go to a park where is non-wifi around. But I can not complain.

Just sent mine back to dji for the second time. Mine wouldn't even make it 1km. The first time , they didn't see anything wrong and sent it back to me. I made a short video of issue and sent it to them again. I received an email update today. They are replacing a control core board.

Do you own a Mavic air 2. Mine will get out over 7km.
yup i got to over 6km out in the sticks only turned back because of battery lol,still had 3/4 bars of signal,only one got the weak signal pop up.(using the FCC hack ) IOS

Attachments

• IMG_0019.PNG
    IMG_0019.PNG
    6.3 MB · Views: 41
Reactions: Craig Notts
Sounds like you have a broken mavic air 2 or you are just lying for some reason[emoji1781]

There is always one **** in the group . We are talking about range distance so why would I lie . My spark will go out farther than my air 2 . I can get about 14000 feet from the spark and about 4800 feet the last time I tried the air 2 . My pro is all about battery power limits.

There is always one **** in the group . We are talking about range distance so why would I lie . My spark will go out farther than my air 2 . I can get about 14000 feet from the spark and about 4800 feet the last time I tried the air 2 . My pro is all about battery power limits.

I do not think you are lying at all. There has to be a reasonable reason why are you having that problem. I believe is something wrong with the drone.

Reactions: VisualFeast

Like I said mate you drone is broken then I would contact dji about it [emoji106]

Yeah I have the same problem with my air 2 battery power runs out before the range done well over 16000ft up to now was in normal mode will do sport next time [emoji106]

No need for name calling!

I hope you fix your drone ASAP.

Hello, I am brand new to all of this. I just got a Mavic Air 2 for Christmas and the range is not even close to what was advertised. I can go almost 1 mile (1.6km) before losing signal completely and it goes into automatic RTH. Someone suggested that I may have purchased a CE model. I don't know what that is. It was a bundle made for Costco with an extra battery and and SC card included. All the firmware has been updated and I am using the latest Android DJI Fly app. I'm thinking of returning it. Everything else is great about it. Reading through this thread, it seems like it's hit or miss and not any real solutions. How do I know if it is an FCC or CE model?
TIA

Hello, I am brand new to all of this. I just got a Mavic Air 2 for Christmas and the range is not even close to what was advertised. I can go almost 1 mile (1.6km) before losing signal completely and it goes into automatic RTH. Someone suggested that I may have purchased a CE model. I don't know what that is. It was a bundle made for Costco with an extra battery and and SC card included. All the firmware has been updated and I am using the latest Android DJI Fly app. I'm thinking of returning it. Everything else is great about it. Reading through this thread, it seems like it's hit or miss and not any real solutions. How do I know if it is an FCC or CE model?
TIA

There is no "CE" model for the Air 2, so that's not the issue.

1 mile, or even less, is all you might get in certain situations, like in a suburb with lots of trees and wifi interference. Please describe your flying environment, and elevation when losing signal.

For reference, I've had the same exact setup lose signal in .5 to .75 miles when flying out over trees in a wifi-heavy area, where over water with nothing around, turned around at 4 miles with plenty of signal left.

There is no "CE" model for the Air 2, so that's not the issue.

1 mile, or even less, is all you might get in certain situations, like in a suburb with lots of trees and wifi interference. Please describe your flying environment, and elevation when losing signal.

For reference, I've had the same exact setup lose signal in .5 to .75 miles when flying out over trees in a wifi-heavy area, where over water with nothing around, turned around at 4 miles with plenty of signal left.
MMMMM i have a CE model ,all uk models are sold here are in CE mode, FCC is in the USA and not sure where else..:oops: there is an FCC mod on this forum.when my MA2 is in its normal CE, mode its range is poor with the FCC mod ive done over 6km no issues. (in open countyside)
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/mod-dji-fly-fcc-v1-2-2-ios-ma2-mini-2-1-by-gb160-gleno0h.90901/

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots