DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 remote ID

curtfire77

Reactions
Site
youtube.com
So I got this from DJI support online chat when asking about update for Mavic Air 2 remote ID.

Thank you for your feedback. According to the FAR Part 89 Remote ID regulations, the RID compliance for American users starts from September 16, 2023. Before that, the FAA RID regulation does not affect the user’s flight activity. DJI will conduct an evaluation and prepare appropriate plans for different aircraft after the RID technical standards and MOC recognized by FAA are issued.

I think someone has posted something about this, but thanks for sharing.

I just passed my 107 today and had to register on the part 107 section. So the remote ID question came to mind upon registration. So I had to do some looking. I’d hate to have to replace that drone it’s a great one, or have to attach a module

Reactions: maggior and GFields
So will the Air 2 be able to be made compliant with a firmware update? Or will it need an add on hardware module?

So will the Air 2 be able to be made compliant with a firmware update? Or will it need an add on hardware module?
There is nothing stated about the Air 2 being made compliant via firmware. If that turns out to be the case, a RID module will need to be used.

For a current list of all RID-compatible drones click here.

Thanks - I hope that if a hardware module is required, we get a little "heads up"

I'm a little slow today... :)

So the Air 2 is not listed, therefore it will require the external module. So these are available?

There are several DJI drones that have yet to be updated for RID to be functional, but DO have the capability. DJI just needs to activate it.

There are several DJI drones that have yet to be updated for RID to be functional, but DO have the capability. DJI just needs to activate it.
…but we don't know (yet) if the Air 2 is one of them?

I'm thinking this sort of thread should be a "sticky" (or something similar)...because I can't think of anything more important to MA2 owners than this come September.

Reactions: TDM01
As of March 24 2023
you for contacting DJI Technical Support. We really appreciate your effort in reaching out to us.

We are sorry to inform you that Mavic Air 2 cannot comply with the Remote ID rule by upgrading firmware currently. I'd love to give you a clear yes or no but it is not determined yet whether we will release RID-compliant firmware for Mavic Air 2. Thanks for your understanding.

You do not need to take any action until September 16, 2023. On and after that date, if you continue to use the drone, you will have to comply with the rule in either of the two ways described below:

1. Operate a drone with a Remote ID broadcast module

giving the drone's identification, location, and take-off information. A broadcast module is a device that can be attached to a drone, or a feature (such as a software upgrade) integrated with the drone. Persons operating a drone with a Remote ID broadcast module must be able to see their drone at all times during flight.

• Wow
Reactions: Mavikhan
From the internal information I have received, the Air 2 will NOT be Remote ID capable by a firmware update. A FAA certified Remote ID Module will be necessary.

I am hopful as we get near Setpember, we will have some options as to a module that isn't ~$300 as current avaialble ones are priced at.

So I got this from DJI support online chat when asking about update for Mavic Air 2 remote ID.

Thank you for your feedback. According to the FAR Part 89 Remote ID regulations, the RID compliance for American users starts from September 16, 2023. Speed Test Before that, the FAA RID regulation does not affect the user’s flight activity. DJI will conduct an evaluation and prepare appropriate plans for different aircraft after the RID technical standards and MOC recognized by FAA are issued.

Waiting with bated breath... :)

Due to the Air2 having 2 different formats of serial numbers (3Nxxxxx and 1Wxxxxx) over the production run , I am not holding my breath we will see native RID support.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada