DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 - sample photos and videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 94047
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94047

Tom's Tech time has original photos and video samples from the MA2 for those who would like to see. I am going to have a look at the RAW images myself since I am still somewhat on the fence - I am way overdue for an upgrade from the MA1 and the MA2 is one hell of a temptress. But I want my next drone to be able to take photos on a level that is equal to or better than the M2P. M2P owners, what say you? I know these photos were taken on auto and it is hard to reach a conclusion based of a few sample photos, but do you think these are on par with the photos from the M2P?

1588076028656.png
Be advised that File 1 (for both video and photos) links to the "Buy the Mavic Air 2" page on the DJI Store ; sneaky that!

EDIT: Oops! Forgot to paste the link. Here it is

Tom's Tech time has original photos and video samples from the MA2 for those who would like to see. I am going to have a look at the RAW images myself since I am still somewhat on the fence - I am way overdue for an upgrade from the MA1 and the MA2 is one hell of a temptress. But I want my next drone to be able to take photos on a level that is equal to or better than the M2P. M2P owners, what say you? I know these photos were taken on auto and it is hard to reach a conclusion based of a few sample photos, but do you think these are on par with the photos from the M2P?

View attachment 99846
Be advised that File 1 (for both video and photos) links to the "Buy the Mavic Air 2" page on the DJI Store ; sneaky that!

EDIT: Oops! Forgot to paste the link. Here it is

Those cannot be representative of the optimal quality of the IMX586 - noisy and soft even at ISO 100.

Then you'll want to look for a drone/camera with a sensor size to match that of the M2 Pro.

Right, you can't really compare something with a half inch sensor size and a fixed aperture to something with a one inch sensor and variable aperture and expect the picture quality to match.

Yeah I know: and that is perhaps about the only reason I am on the fence on this new MA2.

I think you have to ask yourself, are you happy with the images from your MA1? If so, then I don't think you would be disappointed with the MA2. I had an MA1, was looking at used Mavic 2 drones, realized that I am happy enough with the pictures I got from the MA1 that buying a new MA2 made more sense than a used Mavic 2 (or stretching my budget above where I was comfortable and buying a new M2P).

Those cannot be representative of the optimal quality of the IMX586 - noisy and soft even at ISO 100.
My crappy connection just finished downloading the images and you are right sar; these are very noisy.

Reactions: sar104
I didn't look at the pictures, but it is hard to see how the Air 2 can be equal of better than the Pro 2 for pictures. The larger sensor of the Pro 2 is going to be a big advantage all the time, but particularly in lower light

This sensor is not really true 48 Megapixels as far as capturing color information and detail. Here is an explanation of what it is and what it is not.

yeah, but on the Samsung Galaxy A80 samples with the cars i like the 48mpix far mor better, has great details

yeah, but on the Samsung Galaxy A80 samples with the cars i like the 48mpix far mor better, has great details
To my eye, the details look fake, over-sharpened, and have too much noise reduction. The 1/2" sensor is diffraction limited at 48 Mp and f 2.8.
Considering how much data is lost on a regular bayer sensor, AA filter and such, it is amazing our images look as good as they do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnmcl7
It's "soft" because all three of the samples were recorded in "D-Cinelike" instead of normal and it was a dull cloudy day, Tom even complained about the rain coming in for a hyperlapse test shoot. I applied a LUT and a little sharpening of the tiny island scene and I was able to achieve similar results to this video -
. The person also color graded the same sample video.

Attempt to color grade the raw.
How does it look?

View attachment 99947

A little bright and over-saturated, perhaps? But the problem with those raw images was not the color - it was the noise and lack of detail. I played with that one for a bit with some fairly aggressive processing, but I couldn't get anything I felt was really acceptable:

View attachment DJI_0123.jpg

Reactions: Captain Winkie
I think you have to ask yourself, are you happy with the images from your MA1? If so, then I don't think you would be disappointed with the MA2. I had an MA1, was looking at used Mavic 2 drones, realized that I am happy enough with the pictures I got from the MA1 that buying a new MA2 made more sense than a used Mavic 2 (or stretching my budget above where I was comfortable and buying a new M2P).

This here is what makes me sit on the fence to pull the trigger. I see photos from the 2 Pro and think just how good my photos could be but then I think of how often I actually look back at photos I've taken and it's not too often. So for me, it's all about capturing a moment and sharing it, then moving on. So by spending and extra $1k (or $500 second hand) on a 2 Pro doesn't sound as logical to me as a l am not achieving much in getting slightly more quality out of my shots.

I'm even reasonably happy with the photos from my MA1 so don't really have to upgrade but I definitely am not satisfied with the noise it makes and the temperamental WiFi so realistically, that's my only reason to spend on upgrading.

These comments remind me of when the M2P first came out and people were saying how god awful the video and images are for a 1" sensor. There were several comparison videos between the M2P and P4P showing how the P4P was better. At the time I agreed the P4P video and images are better than the M2P, maybe it's changed after a few firmware updates. And now the consensus is the M2P produces the best images/video.

It's "soft" because all three of the samples were recorded in "D-Cinelike" instead of normal and it was a dull cloudy day, Tom even complained about the rain coming in for a hyperlapse test shoot. I applied a LUT and a little sharpening of the tiny island scene and I was able to achieve similar results to this video -
. The person also color graded the same sample video.
To my eye, this is SOFT! I like seeing a nicely sharpened image and this definitely is not. Not nearly as sharp as my images from Mavic 2 Pro.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S